Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

emergency money during Khmer new year bank closures

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I have a friend who is in dire straights and needs a transfer of funds now but its Khmer New Year and all the banks will be closed until Wednesday.Any Travefishers can help on this one? This is a real emergency!
    Western Union offfices etc? which are open during holiday

#1 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 19:31

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

All I can say is that he should of planned ahead [img]smileys/frown.gif[/img]

I met a guy who had to leave Laos after 5 days because he ran out of cash and had to borrow from friends. His ATM card from his country did not accept transactions from Laos, nor did he bother to get a large amount of Thai baht before entering that would of been easy to change... visa for nothing - I guess & he didn't even get to see the country.

#2 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 20:00

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Sorry to hear it. It won't help your friend now, but I know that when I travel I always try to keep a few days supply of USD or Euro on hand just in case of situations like that. But that comment is more intended for travellers who may be reading this post and not your friend.

Is your friend foreign or a local?

I'm guessing that an ATM withdrawal isn't an option. What about a credit card cash advance from a gold shop or some other shop like that? I don't know if Cambodian businesses do that, but I've seen it done in Thailand and maybe even in Laos.

What about the pawn shop scene? Do they have anything of value they can put up as collateral for a short-term loan at a pawn shop? It will be expensive but beats starving.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 23:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Emergency stash of money ... By bd7391 on 13 Dec 2012 2 1846 13 Dec 2012
Khmer New Year ... By Stigron on 15 Feb 2009 3 2226 2 Apr 2009
Travel during Khmer New Year ... By CalMorris28 on 7 Mar 2013 2 2217 10 Mar 2013
Khmer New Year - Phnom Penh ... By RachelW on 11 Mar 2010 4 3795 16 Sep 2010
What's the best Canadian bank to use to manage money in SE asia? ... By Handsome_Boy on 10 Sep 2009 13 9690 18 Jan 2010
Lost my passport money and Bank card.. ... By potta_boro on 18 Aug 2011 20 6348 20 Aug 2011
Withdraw large amounts of money at bank counter, not ATM ... By CPatrick on 14 Jul 2012 5 4371 31 Aug 2012