Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Phnom Penh Bars for Ladies

• h2onewmedia

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

There are a number of good bars in Phnom Penh that are “Lady Friendly” that is to say they are devoid of Taxi Girls and keen ladies that will try to chat up your men. Here is my suggestion for where to go drinking and partying if you are a female in Phnom Penh.

Early Drinks
    The area around the Riverside is nice with lots of restaurants and bars for you to frequent, however don’t stray onto roads 136 or 104, which are girly bar roads. A drop into one of these bars will almost certainly make you feel uncomfortable. On the actual riverside you have some nice bars like River House and Paddy Rice which are good for early drinks, another option is the BKK1 area which is the main backpacker area. Here you will find nice bars and restaurants like The Mad Monkey on Street 302 and Equinox on Street 278 which do not attract the same type of sexpat crowd and are full of cool expats and travelers mixing over a drink.

Late Drinks
    There are a number of bars for you to hit between 10pm and 1am which is the optimum time prior to clubbing, my suggestion is Howies bar on street 51 or the popular Top Banana Bar which is located in the BKK1 area on the roof top level. Stay away from the back of the Riverside between these times as many of the street action for dirty old men will be around at this time. Street 278 in the BKK1 area has a good mix of little bars and pubs including Liquid, Top Banana, Equinox, Setsara, Score Sports bar and the rooftop bar in the Mad Monkey.

Night Bars and Clubs
    This is where it can get tricky, you have essentially four or five western friendly clubs available to you. Heart of Darkness on street 51 gets full of undesirables around 10pm and I wouldn’t suggest it as a single female unless its for a “Look in”, you have two main clubs Pontoon which is a big dance club with ok music but still with its fair share of un-dead night walkers and The Cotton Club – I cant really comment on The Cotton Club because the three of four times I have been there it has been dead and only really seems to get busy when there is a decent event on. Probably the best option for girls is The Love Bar – Forget the name as this is a swanky New York Style bar with cool music and great cocktails but keep in mind that its not cheap. You will not find ladies of the night in this bar and there is a small dance floor at the back, the three or four times I have been there it has always been busy with travelers and expats. You can find Love Bar at the end of Street 51 on the same side as the New World Institute. Any other ideas or input welcome, thanks!

#1 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 21:04

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Good rundown. Lot of detail. I obviously don't share your aversion to naughty girls, but your club / bar description is good.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 22:52

• Brinamay

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm here alone in PO now :)

#3 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 09:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1284 2 Mar 2014