Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

From Vietnam to Phnom Penh

• 73teng

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2007

hi All.
    I am a S'porean and will be going Vietnam Ho Chih Min city for a free and easy holiday with my husband and son. I understand that I can cross to Phnom Penh from Vietnam by ferry right? Can anybody tell me where to get the ferry ticket and what is the duration and charges for two way as I will be staying at Ho Chih Min City and my return flight is also at Ho Chih Min City. Do I need to apply for a Visa as I am holding a Singapore passport. Where can I stay and how do I tour around in Phnom Penh. Really appreciate your help

#1 Posted: 9/4/2007 - 13:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi 73teng,

The river border crossing between Vietnam and Cambodia is near Chau Doc. You need to get from Ho Chi Minh City to chau Doc first (by bus is the easiest way), overnight in Chau Doc and then take the morning boat (there is both a speedboat and slow boat service) to Phnom Penh. The speed boat takes around five to six hours from memory.

There is also a direct bus service between HCMC and Phnom Penh -- costs around US$6 and takes the best part of a day.

The official Cambodian visa site makes it sound like Singaporeans do not need a visa for Cambodia.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2007 - 05:39

• 73teng

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2007

Thank you very much for your reply! Apprecaite if you could assist my on the following concerns:
    Can the direct bus reach Angkor Wat instead of Phnom Penh? As I am considering which part of Cambodia should I visit as I can only spend about maximum of 3 days 2 night in Cambodia. Please advise is AngKor Wat or PP recomanded for tourist! And which are the reputable and most important safe hotel we can try as I am bring my child along....

Really appreciate yuour help!
    Have a great day ahead!

#3 Posted: 10/4/2007 - 10:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi there,

No, a bus will have to go through Phnom Penh to reach Siem Reap. If you're looking at only a couple of nights in Cambodia then I would recommend flying Singapore to Siem Reap direct as otherwise you'll spend most of the time in the bus.

#4 Posted: 11/4/2007 - 03:23

• 73teng

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2007

In such a case, I shall spent my 3 days in Phnom Penh then.... By the way, is there any reputable local agency there inorder to bring us around? I understand that I can book a taxi which cost about US$15 whom can show us around... Any travel agency there whom can send us back to Ho Chih Min City?
    Could you recommand a few mid-range hotel for me so that i can book it online... which road or street can I find the most convenient hotels?
    Thanks alot

#5 Posted: 11/4/2007 - 14:33

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi 73teng

I'm not sure if you can book online but my family of 3 stayed at the Indochine 2 on 130 and 5th Street which is 1 street from (Sisowath Quay) riverside and handy to the central market, Royal Palace, museum etc, it's easy to walk to those places. Just hire a tuk tuk to go to the Russian Market, Tuol Sleng etc US$2 each way. The hotel cost US$20 for 2 double beds, tv, a/c and fridge - great friendly staff and service, also quiet. They will also arrange your tickets to HCMC. We stayed there twice, bought bus tickets (to HCMC and to Siem Reap) - free pickup from hotel. Highly recommended.

Enjoy your visit

Kind regards

Marian

#6 Posted: 12/4/2007 - 09:35

• LionelHutz

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2005
    Total reviews: 9

We went from HCMC-PP with Delta Adventure Tours, but I can't really recommend them.

The trip was very badly organised, we constantly ran late and we ended up getting to PP five hours late at 8:30PM. We were not amused when the driver had to stop in PP to ask directions, when all of us foreigners had worked out where we were by use of our guidebooks!

Also, they don't tell you that the fast boat doesn't run unless enough people book it. Otherwise they just refund your extra $10 and everyone takes the slow boat. And the slow boat is slooow.

Don't go on a tour both ways. Take a bus back to HCMC - it is about 4 hours direct and there are plenty of companies to choose from.

#7 Posted: 18/4/2007 - 08:01

• sophisticat-
    ions

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2008

Hi 73teng, I am also a singaporean, thinking of doing the exact same thing as you. How long was your trip? Can you please tell me how did your trip went, how did you travel from HCM to PP and which bus/ ferry company did you use? How much and duration of the journey? Was it clean/ comfortable? Where did you go to take the bus/ ferry?

Any highly reconmended tourism spots to visit in both HCM and PP, and reconmended hotel to stay in?

It would be great if you could list out your itenarary. It will be soo much of a help because I am trying to squeeze in as much as possible!

If you like to, you can email me at sophistications@gmail.com

Thank you sooo much in advance, your help will be GREATLY appreciated! =)

#8 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 15:30

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Somtam2000

I am looking to do the reverse journey: Phnom Penh...>...Saigon by SLOW BOAT in Nov.
    I've purcheased the Travelfish Guide to Phnon Penh. Its a bit short on info about the ferry to Chau Doc, and further transport. I understand the ferry departs from the pier near Titanic resturaunt at 08:00, costs $7 and takes 6 hours.

The info I need is, what happens after the border...does the ferry continue into Vietnam and ultimately to the Mekong Delta or go back to PP?
    Can I continue further by boat to the delta, and catch a bus of some sort to Saigon?
    What do you suggest?

Kind regards
    Rayc101

#9 Posted: 17/8/2008 - 08:14

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Ravc101,

You stay with the same boat. The boat waits while everyone on it clears immigration (you can either go to immigration yourself or toss your passport to one of the boat staff who'll do the legwork for you).

This is the main problem with the slow boat is if it is packed, there can be a long wait at immigration when all the passports get done.

For onwards travel, there's no passenger boats onwards into the Delta from Chau Doc to my knowledge. However, there is no shortage of boat traffic -- I've travelled by freighter from My Tho to Chau Doc (admittedly quite a few years ago) and that boat dropped us at Tan Chau, which was around 15km from Chau Doc. Those boats still run, so I don't see why you couldn't get the boat in the reverse. They don't run every day though, so you'd need to ask at a guesthouse in Chau Doc about what to do. I'd guess you'd need to visit Tan Chau first, enquire after boats and probably return a second time to catch the boat.

Otherwise Chau Doc bus station has buses to most destinations in the Delta -- including Saigon.

If you don't have time up your sleeve, I'd suggest a bus to Can Tho, overnight there and see the floating markets, then onwards to Saigon.

#10 Posted: 18/8/2008 - 12:18

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, forgot to say, recently added a story covering some of the stuff you can do in the Mekong Delta.

#11 Posted: 18/8/2008 - 12:19

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Somtam2000

Thanks again.
    A bit of inside knowledge goes a long way.

Cheers
    Rayc

#12 Posted: 18/8/2008 - 15:35

• Playground

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2008

Hi Somtam,
    I am going to HCMC this saturday, and will travel to Phnom Penh on Tuesday. ANy suggestion what transport best for backpacker? I dont mind bus or ferry? Please advice the name of the agent together.

Then from PP, I will travel to Siem Reap Thursday. Same question, ANy suggestion what transport best for backpacker? I dont mind bus or ferry? Please advice the name of the agent together.

Vic

#13 Posted: 22/9/2008 - 19:14

• lydinh

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2005

hi Playground,
    Just go to Pham Ngu Lao area (backpacker area). There are plenty of tour agencies in this area. Where you can get bus ticket from Saigon (HCM) to PP. Take the early bus (~6:30 AM) so you will be in PP around noon. Use the afternoon to arrange for transportation to Siem Riep (bus or hi-speed boat) and the rest of the afternoon take a tour at Palace and visit market......
    Either bus or boat to Siem Riep, you will have the afternoon to arrange for Angkor tour the next day.
    Visiting Angkor Wat is a must if you are going to Cambodia.

Have fun in Cambodia

#14 Posted: 21/12/2008 - 08:08

• johnmcdooli-
    ttlenee

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I am currently in vietnam da nang, i recieved 21 days visa stamp on arrival as i am from the Philippines. I would like to stay longer but i dont know how to do a visa run..

Could anybody please advise me on how to do a visa run from Da nang (vietnam) to Cambodia?? I have searched this site but been unable to find the answers i am looking for.

Please please help soon as possible...

#15 Posted: 13/5/2009 - 19:11

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

johnmcdoolittlenee

My understanding is that you have two options.

ONE

You go to the applicable Vietnam Gov't agency and get an extension (but you must have at least 3 days left on the visa).

To find out where the right agency is located, maybe the best place to start is to go to the Danang airport. Some comments on Travelfish suggest that trying to get the visa extension yourself is very very difficult. It is best to approach a travel agent.

TWO

You leave Vietnam, and apply to the Vietnam Gov't embassy in the country you go to for a new visa to enter Vietnam.

- - - - -

The easiest is to extend your visa. Normally a 30 day extension costs around US$15.

You can visit a travel agency who will organise. But, the travel agency will add their charge, which might be very high (sometimes as much as US$25).

For a travel agency, try looking at:

http://www.vietnam-visa.com/blog/vietnam-visa-extension

For the 'official' administrative details, go to:

http://www.danang.gov.vn/home/view.asp?id=81&id_theloai=393&id_tin=11182

- - - -

To go outside the country, from Danang, perhaps don't go to Cambodia as many travellers have said they only got a 15 day visa.

If you want to look at the methods to get a visa in Laos or Cambodia, go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/visabordercrossings

- - - -

had you put this message in the 'visabordercrossings' section, you would have got a quicker reply.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#16 Posted: 14/5/2009 - 06:46

• Line

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2009

Hi

Just a quik question about the bus from HCM til PP, i read in my guidebook that an international bus goes straight through without stopping at the border, but what about your visa then?

#17 Posted: 14/5/2009 - 14:58

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Line

I can't offer advice about your guidebook.

The simple fact is that everyone on board any vehicle MUST get an exit stamp as they leave Vietnam, and only when that is done can they get an entry into Cambodia.

Hope this helps.

ps. this is really a subject that should have been posted to:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/visabordercrossings

Cheers

#18 Posted: 14/5/2009 - 18:06

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Anyone have up-to-date prices on a (private)taxi from PP to the border, and a (private)taxi from the border to HCM?

#19 Posted: 28/5/2009 - 15:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting to Vietnam from Phnom Penh ... By donveli on 15 Oct 2009 6 2441 24 Nov 2009
Getting a Vietnam visa in Phnom Penh ... By lynsands on 23 Aug 2009 6 5476 24 Aug 2009
vietnam embassy phnom penh ... By TheBarang on 10 Feb 2009 0 3330 10 Feb 2009
Vietnam visa from Phnom Penh ... By C3DRFC on 21 Mar 2012 6 4051 19 Jun 2012
Vietnam to Phnom Penh (train) ... By jetson on 3 Jan 2012 3 2491 12 Jan 2012
vietnam visa in phnom penh ... By kaptainkano on 24 Aug 2011 2 2284 26 Aug 2011
vietnam visa phnom penh Tet holiday ... By sayadian on 6 Feb 2010 0 2776 6 Feb 2010
Getting Vietnam visa from Phnom Penh reliable? ... By lampostx on 25 Oct 2006 5 5610 10 Nov 2006
AFL: Cambodia vs. Vietnam in Phnom Penh, March 3 ... By Rasheeed on 2 Mar 2012 2 1901 15 Mar 2012
Vietnam Visa in Phnom Penh question ... By bkgzen on 8 Jun 2007 11 28753 7 Jul 2011