Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

8 nights Cambodia trip!

• apple5

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

Hi guys, need some help with itinerary!
    I'll be flying in to PP late afternoon on 5 July and leaving from PP in the morning on 13 July.
    Tentatively, I was thinking first and last nights in PP, 6th-10th in Siem Reap and 10th-12th in Sihanoukville.

Is this feasible? Or will the transport between each place take too long? Also would appreciate any other suggestions/locations for a short diversion from PP and SR for 1 or 2 nights!!!

Many thanks in advance for all your help!

#1 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 21:29

• Advertisement

• Kabana111

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

It's feasible, it's around 5-6 hours drive from PP to SR. If you're only getting into PP in the late afternoon, you could get an afternoon bus up to SR, would give you time to do the Tuol Sleng museum etc. in PP in the morning. It obviously takes longer to get to Sihanoukville from SR as you need to go back through PP. There's a night bus, it takes 7-9 hours but I'm not too comfortable travelling in the dark as there are no street lights etc.! If you don't mind losing a day travelling it's easy enough to get a bus from SR to PP in the morning and a bus from PP to S'ville in the afternoon. There are a few bus companies, it's best to just google them :)

#2 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 11:50

• Ted_Anderson

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Hi Apple5, Seem you have a long journey in Cambodia for 8 days, he he honestly last time me & my friend stay in cambodia for just 4 days only and it too rush to discover this wonderfull country. But I got trip planning for you and also not rush too. Since your flight is late on 5 July I recommend you to stay and travelling in PP for 5 and 6. Then you can take bus to Siem Reap in the morning of 7 July until 10 july back to Phnom Penh at the afternoon ( it take around 5 - 6 hours drive ) and stay in PP 1 night. In the morning of 11 you can take bus to Sihanoukville and enjoy the beautifull beach there until 12 comeback at the afternoon and wait for your flight in 13 July. I think for more place of travelling or some interesting activities I would recommend you to contact one travel agency that we also ever used last time when we were in cambodia. Their name is la route angkor or u also can mail to them : rya@laroute-angkor.com. They are so friendly so i believe they can arrange your trip well.
    Enjoy your trip in Cambodia

#3 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 02:55

• apple5

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

Hi thanks for your input. Do you think it's worth it going to Sihanoukville just for one night though? (especially in rainy season) With the long journey and all - am concerned it might be too hectic. But I'm worried that I might run out of things to do/see if I just stay in PP and SR for the whole trip!

Does anyone happen to know where the best waterfalls in Cambodia are? Also, whether Battambang might be a better option over Sihanoukville?

Thanks again!!

#4 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 10:16

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I don't think 8 days in PP and SR is too long at all. It will allow you to see the main sites at a leisurely pace, and give you time to explore the towns just a little bit more than rushing through. In Phnom Penh, for example, after seeing the standard things like Killing Fields, S-21 and the markets, do a day trip to Phnom Tamao. It's an animal rescue sanctuary, well-wroth visiting. (I've posted recently about it on another thread). Hire a local family-owned boat to take an evening river cruise to go to where the three rivers join and watch the sunset.
    Likewise in SR, after visiting the temples, do a day trip to floating villages.

If you are really determined to go somewhere else, I'd suggest Kampot. It's about a 4 (or 5?) busride from PP, and it's an interesting relaxing town. I'd recommend it over S'Ville.

#5 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 14:50

• Ted_Anderson

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Hi apple, actually your 8 days trip is so perfect already for enjoy visiting cambodia. If you don't prefer SHV, Kampot also the best option as busylizzy recommend cos i got friend working overthere but if you wish to visit Waterfall, Siem Reap also have, the name is : Koulen Mountain and recommend you to visit Kbal Spean where you can visit waterfall and also thousand lingar status under the water. So amazing construction.

#6 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 22:02

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Ya, I stayed 4 days and it was rushed. 8 days would have been great if I could ave extended it. I only got 1 full day in PP because most of my time was spent in SR. I would have spent at least 5 days in SR if I could have.

#7 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 00:56

• apple5

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

Thanks for all your replies. Have any of you done the Mekong river trips to the silk villages? I'm thinking if I spent 3-4 days in pp, are there any day trips available - non-temple ones!

#8 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 02:30

• apple5

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

would it also be feasible/worth going to kampot/kep for a day trip without spending the night there?

#9 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 06:53

• apple5

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2012

hi guys!

so it's been decided! I'm going to SR for 5 nights and doing PP at the beginning and end for 2 nights each (so 4 nights total).

Thinking of doing the temples, the "a day in the village tour", ATV, tonle sap and maybe the waterfall temple thing! Any other suggestions?

In PP, the usual landmark places and possibly to a silk village? Again, any suggestions are appreciated!!

In terms of travelling from PP to SR, was thinking of getting a taxi to do the trip. Is there anywhere we can stop off to visit or see? (just to break up the journey a bit!)

Thanks !!!!

#10 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 10:58

• Advertisement

• Kabana111

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

You could stop off in Kampong Thom. It's pretty much halfway between PP and SR and there are some shops, restaurants and some temples, though not as impressive at Angkor. I'd rather just keep going!

#11 Posted: 1/6/2012 - 04:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I don't think there is a need to get a taxi between PP and SR. The buses are pretty good and reasonably priced ($7-9 or so), for a 5-6 hour trip, with a 1/2 break half way (actually, the stop may be Kampong Thom, as mentioned by Kabana....).

#12 Posted: 3/6/2012 - 03:35

• Vickyjin

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Siem Reap is great city. you should find out about this place more longer than other city. Because Angkor Wat have only one in the world.

#13 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 14:03

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I took the night bus (which I found out after is dangerous) But ya, whats the sense of taking a taxi if you can ride a bus for 10.00. (which is what I paid)
    The bus was more comfortable than the plane I found. Seats were soft and reclined. I slept the entire way both directions. I just picked up a ticket at the corner where all the stations are. Good little bar restaurant there with .50 pints.

#14 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 00:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.