Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Banteay Srei, miss or not? (angkor itinerary)

• kattkaa

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. Is Banteay Srei not to be missed or can I omit it and not feel like I've missed something great?

If yes, is it possible to do the Big Circuit and Banteay Srei in one day?

We have 3 & 1/2 days in SR, one at the main temples, one cycling to Bang Mealea and one for a trip to the lake (possibly Kompong Phluk). I know there is a tour that includes Beng Mealea and Banteay S - that is the one we were originally going for - but I would so love to do a bit more biking in that area before leaving to PP and flying home.

Any opinions / advice would be so much appreciated.

Best,
    K

#1 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 20:19

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I loved Banteay Sre; it is quite different from any of the other temples. It is quite a small complex with extremely intricate and beautiful carving work. We enjoyed the longish tuktuk journey out there, through a very rural area - lovely in the early morning cool. We combined it with a visit to the landmine museum which is reasonably close, also very good.

Is it worth it ? Difficult to say for you with your timescales and other priorities, but I'm certainly glad we went. I'd say it's possible to do all that, if up and away early, in a morning.

#2 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 02:21

• immi

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2008
    Total reviews: 12

Both Beng Mealea and Banteay Srey are beautiful by their own means.
    To me BS is the most beautiful of all temples in SR. It is quite small, but the deep carving is making the difference.
    BM is a bit far off, but well worth a visit. Very much like Ta Phrom, but very few people.
    If you have time go and visit them both!

#3 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 07:13

• kattkaa

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2012

So do you guys think it would be possible to do BS and the large circuit (maybe not every every temple on it) in one day by a remork?

#4 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 07:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree with Nokka that Banteay Srei is different than other spots. Small, with exceptionally detailed carvings and an unusual color (pink?) stone. As much as I like the temple complex out there, I also think the best part is the ride out past the rice fields.

Personally, I don't think you can do the large circuit and Banteay Srei in one day without seriously rushing. I'd either try to get out to Banteay Srei early in the morning on one day and make a half day out of it, or not go at all and do something else with the time. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 09:15

• sankeegan

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

likewise to the other contributors, I loved Banteay Srei, you have to see Angkor Wat, but after that I think BS is a defo on the must see list. I think its about 20km out of Siem Reap so its a half day for sure but an early start and you can come back and see other temples within the big or small circuit after.

#6 Posted: 31/5/2012 - 10:35

• Nisseyaklom

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2007

Banteay Srei is the most beautiful of them all, skip the lake instead, biggest tourist trap in Cambo

#7 Posted: 5/6/2012 - 04:16

• Vickyjin

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Please don't miss Banteay Srei, it's the best one after Angkor Wat and Bayon.I loved it so much.

#8 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 14:06

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Was at Banteay Srei a couple days ago. An afterthought on the Kbal Spean route. Hadn't been there in a couple years. Amazing. Go.

#9 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 03:24

• kattkaa

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2012

Thanks for all your replies guys.

We did go and it was beautiful - definitely a not-to-miss-temple.

My favorite is Beng Mealea tho (too bad you can't climb on your own).

#10 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 08:17

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Angkor pass required for Banteay Srei / Beng Melea / Kbal Spean? ... By misterwoods on 17 Jun 2009 10 4709 4 Oct 2011