Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia to vietnam travel help

• Cluskey221

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi there i am travelling into cambodia from thailand and i am sorting arrangements i am strugglimg though once i get to phnom penh i am looking for travel to sihanoukville which i will be staying for a day possibly 2. Then again i am struggling to find details how to travel to vietnam into saigon from sihanoukville can anyone help

Thanks mark

#1 Posted: 6/6/2012 - 15:14

• Advertisement

• Vickyjin

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Just ask receptionist at the hotel or guesthouse. they will arrange for you. Please don't worry. Enjoy your trip.

#2 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 14:11

• traveloworld

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Hi,
    If you hire any travel agent that will help to travel Cambodia easily.

#3 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 05:23

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are basically two main routes you can take.1)S-ville to Phnom Penh,then PP to Saigon,with a bus company such as Mekong Express 2) S-ville to Ha Tien in Vietnam,via Kampot,from where you can get a bus to Saigon..Whereas it might just be possible to do either route in a day,I don't recommend it.Road travel at night in both Cambodia and Vietnam is dangerous.I would do the first leg of the journey on day one,spend the night either in PP or Ha Tien,and then travel to Saigon the next day.Also,in my opinion,unless you know and trust the hotel/travel agency concerned,I would not do as #1 and #2 suggest,and book the entire trip with a local agent.There are far too many cases of unscrupulous agents selling you a ticket which,once you have left,and come to change buses,you then find isn't actually valid for the second half of the journey.As I live in Ha Tien,I might be slightly biased,but I think that option 2) is much better;-quieter roads,a much less busy border crossing,and a night in Ha Tien and subsequent onward travel much easier and cheaper to arrange.If you need more info please ask

#4 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 03:41

• Cluskey221

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for all help
    oasis how is border crossing we plan of getting visa in s-ville is it 24hr crossing etc??

Like the idea of that extra night somewhere will be with my girlfriend so safe is better

A will be travelling from p-p to s-ville is it just a case of a mekong bus running straight to s-ville??

#5 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 16:18

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

Yes-get your Vietnam visa at the Vietnamese Consulate in Ekareach St,Sihanoukville.It will take 5 minutes and cost 45USD (single entry 30 day visa)The border at Prek Chak/Xa Xia (Ha Tien) is open from 07.00 to 18.00. From Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville there are many bus companies,all go directly there,and it takes about 4-5 hours.Not sure of the current cost,probably about 6-8 USD. One other point-Don't use night buses in Cambodia,they are dangerous.

#6 Posted: 18/7/2012 - 02:31

• ehenness

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011
    Location Canada

I did this exact trip in late September 2011.

Let me tell you it is a pain in the butt. The bus from Sihanoukville (leaving EARLY AM) took about 6 hours to get into PP to transfer (about a 2 hour wait at bus 'station' in PP) to the other bus to get to Saigon. Then, the bus to Saigon took another 7 hours I think, not because of the distance, but because you will be sitting in PP and then Saigon traffic for at least 1 1/2 to two hours, plus time spent crossing the border (I got lucky and we got through quick, make sure you have obtained your visa BEFORE starting this bus journey!) By the time you arrive in HCMC it will be dark and late. However the buses drop you right in the backpacker area, so it's all good to find a guesthouse to crash. If you feel like spending a bit more, I liked Vy Kanh, VERY clean and probably the most comfortable bed I slept on in all of Asia! $15.

In Sihanoukville there is a restaurant/bar place that books everything...can't remember what it was called...oasis or something, but it's near the movie theatre and is bright happy colours. I had no problems with them.

It's a long exhausting trip. I don't know about the Ha Tien route though oasisbarhatien suggested, but I agree that that should be attempted over two days rather than one. Might be better than going back through PP.

#7 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 14:59

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I've taken Mekong Express Bus from PP to Snooky. There are a number of departures daily and also other bus coys. Get a moto/tuk tuk to take you to the bus station.

I read a blog about a Virak Buntham Bus (VIP minivan) to the Ha Tien border crossing departs Snooky at 8am. Cross border then another minivan into Ha Tien. Supposed to take 5.5hrs but took 8hrs.

If I were doing this tomorrow I would do the minivan to border/minibus in to Ha Tien and stay o'nite Dong Tam Hotel/next day bus to Saigon.

#8 Posted: 23/7/2012 - 07:32

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

Yes-Virak Buntham used to travel this route,but unfortunately they have stopped it-for good,as I understand it,it's not just stopped for the high season.But there are still plenty of options to Kep,from where it's only a short distance to the border.It shouldn't really take more than 5-6 hours Sihanoukville to Ha Tien including crossing the border,then,as the last poster said,stay overnight here-there are dozens of hotels from 8-15 USD a night.Next morning get the 11am Kumho-Samco bus to Saigon,getting there at around 18.00-19.00-much better than the night bus

#9 Posted: 24/7/2012 - 20:30

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    Another route if you are going back to PP is the boat. A bus leaves PP and it's a couple of hours on the bus to get to the boat and then several hours on a very scenic river to Chau Doc . It's relaxed and I think we arrived around 3pm at Chau Doc and spent a few days there before moving on. Immigration was the easiest I ever done - didn't even see a immigration officer! Just had a cup of tea & our boat driver returned with all our passports stamped!

I would ask, though, why you are going to SV for just a day or two? You wont really have time to see anything much. I would rather add the time to PP or Vietnam.
    Mike

#10 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 17:30

• Advertisement

• rendy23

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2012

hey there, just got back from my previous trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. I wrote complete info about budgets and top recommended places, feel free to check travelagys.blogspot.com

#11 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 08:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.