Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Angkor Itenerary Thoughts

• brandonc2012

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2012

My girlfriend and I are planning to spend a few days in Siem Reap (mostly for Angkor ) in July. We hired a guide to take us around on days 2-4 to maximize our time there.

We like adventure and a little off the beaten path (which I know is impossible here now) I really wanted to see Kbal Splean, but she advised against it due to travelling in July.

Below is her recommended itenerary trying to suit our needs and a few of my inputs. Let me know your thoughts and if there is anything missing that we "can't miss".

Thank you,
    Brandon

Day 1 Half Day
    Afternoon: Arrive in Siem Reap and explore the town. (not certain where or what to do, we arrive around 2pm)

Day 2
    Morning: Angkor Thom (South Gate, Bayon, Baphuon, Royal Palace, Phimeanakas, Elephant's Terrace, Leper King's Terrace)
    Afternoon: Angkor Wat and sunset.

Day 3
    Morning: Banteay Srei, Banteay Samre and Pre Rup.
    Afternoon: Beng Mealea, which is the remote and further and most ruined temple in the country. and Floating Village (Tonle Sap Lake).

Day 4 Half Day*
    Get up and leave hotel at 5:00 am to see sunrise at Angkor Wat.
    Morning: Prasat Kravan, Ta Prohm,Ta Keo,Thommanon
    Afternoon: Go to the airport at 12:00

#1 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 16:08

• Advertisement

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Brandon,
    We didn't hire a guide but I did see some others with one. We hired a Tuk Tuk driver both days. He was really good and took us around each day. If I were you I would leave a little earlier than 5 am. We left just after 4 am were the first ones there. We bought some coffee from a guy who sat some mats out by the lake and got some front row seats. We only spent two days touring as that's all the time we had. I saw a few people on Bikes which I thought was crazy as it was 37 degrees when I was there.

We took a drive out to the floating village but didn't feel like paying 30.00US for it. Although our Tuk Tuk was able to talk them down. Its was very busy also!!

As for Siem Reap the night market was awesome in my opinion!! We had 30 minute foot massages for something like $1.00 per person. Lots of awesome places to eat near the market also.

"We like adventure and a little off the beaten path" - Our Tuk Tuk took us off the path and saw some interesting sites!!

That's all I have as its late here.. Pm me if you want but there are of ton of people who have a lot of experience on here. I am a rook!!!

#2 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 00:07

• Vickyjin

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Hi Brandon,

Your Angkor Itinerary is great enough. Driver can only bring you to one temple to one temple only. he can't explain you about Khmer history or temple. So you should take one guide for your visiting Cambodia.

#3 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 13:45

• brandonc2012

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2012

THank you both for your replies. We hired a guide with a driver so we could get the full experience. I just wanted to know if there were any temples missing from my itenerary or any temples that could be left off for something better.

Also, we get in at 2pm and were wondering if we should try to catch a sunset somewhere or just explore Siem Reap.

Thanks again for the feedback!

#4 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 08:04

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I visited SR in 2008. Like yourself I researched all the temples I wanted to see over 3 days. When I met my (prebooked) tuk tuk driver on the first morning I gave him my itinerary and left the logistics to him. I was picked up at 5am each morning. I didn't take all day to see what I wanted which was just as well as the heat is oppressive.

I hired my own boat ($25) to go out on Tonle Sap to visit the Floating Village but if I had company I would have gone on the Taraboat Sunset Cruise. Just a thought.

#5 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 07:52

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

We were on top of a temple during the sunset...it was pretty awesome!!!

#6 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 13:30

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

We were on top of a temple during the sunset...it was pretty awesome!!!

#7 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 13:30

• traveloworld

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Hi,
    Well its good to hear that you looking to spend some time with your girl friend. but before you going there try to get all the information about weather.

#8 Posted: 21/6/2012 - 04:21

• diliev

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2012

hi Brandon (and the rest :) )

where did you hire a guide and a driver from?

Myself and some friends are going there mid July.

Thanks

#9 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 15:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rough Six Month Itenerary: Thoughts, advice? ... By kbs84 on 13 Apr 2011 3 3202 13 Apr 2011