Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

2 Weeks in Cambodia Itinerary...help please!!!

• shell86

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2012

My friend and I will be travelling to Cambodia for the first time in July for two weeks.

Could anyone help with places we should definitely go or perhaps not bother with and things we should go and do.

At the moment Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, Kampot/Kep, kratie are of interest.

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 14:56

• Advertisement

• traveloworld

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Hi,
    well i am looking too to go there.

#2 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 04:45

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

To include all six places you mention in a two-week timeframe would be too much IMO. I spent 15 days in Cambodia a few years ago and visited four of those places and it was fine - PP, K/K, Sihanouk, Siem Reap/Angkor. This included 6 days of lounging in Sihanoukville.

Where are you flying into and out of?

Also bear in mind that travelling by night in Cambodia is not to be recommended in light of some recent accidents on such journeys. If you heed this it would obviously also negatively impact your ability to see more places.

Regardless, I think a max of 4 places in two weeks is sensible.

#3 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 08:07

• shell86

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2012

Hey,

We aren't intending on going to all 6 places, they are just the places we are looking into at the moment. Just trying to work out which are a must and which we could miss out!

We are flying in and out of PP.

Would you recommend Kampot/Kep?

thanks!

Traveloworld, where are you looking to go?

#4 Posted: 27/6/2012 - 04:26

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Ok, that's good!!

I would absolutely recommend Kampot and Kep . We stayed in Kampot (in Bodhi Villa, very nice) but hired a motorbike for our 3 days and drove around the province each day and had some excellent seafood lunches in Kep. You can aim to arrive to arrive back in Kampot in the evening and have riverside beers for sunset. The town of Kampot itself does not have a whole lot going on from what I could see but it is tranquil and a great base for the surrounding areas.

I would probably forget about Kratie. I didn't go but my understanding is that it is a nice place, where you can see the freshwater dolphins but tends to be frequented en route to Southern Laos. To go there and back to the hub of Cambodia would be quite time consuming I imagine. I would suggest PP (2-3 days), Kampot / Kep (3-4 days) and Siem Reap / Angkor (4 days) and then one of Battambang or Sihanoukville.

If you have been to Thailand / Bail / Malaysia etc then Sihanoukville's beaches will not pair up but here and the islands are your only real opportunity for beach time in Cambodia and Otres is very nice (not to mention the fresh seafood and fruit).

Happy to help out if you have any more questions.

#5 Posted: 27/6/2012 - 05:10

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

All the places you mention are well covered on the internet. It comes down to what interests you the most and how long you wish to visit each place. I found Kampot and Kep laid back, chill out, enjoy the cuisine places. Siem Reap - 3 days if Angkor Wat excites you (as it did me), 1 day otherwise. I have not visited Battambang or Kratie as I'm not interested. 14 days will give you plenty of time to see what you want.

#6 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 04:39

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Personally, I would cut Kratie off that if you are not headed up to Ban Lung. Kratie is not such a great destination in and of itself that is worth making the long ride up for.

#7 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 09:01

• shell86

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2012

Thanks for all your advice. Would you say its best to go from pp to Siem Reap to Battambang and then down to Sihanouk and Kampot/Kep? My friend is pretty keen on Kratie , so I'm thinking we can then go to Kratie on the way back to PP. We are flying in and out of PP.

#8 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 10:49

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I thought you weren't planning on going to all six places?

I would also question going to Battambang.

I would set aside a week for PP and Siem Reap/Angkor and the other week for the south coast (K/K/Sihanouk).

#9 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 11:42

• shell86

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2012

We weren't but we are just going on advice from friends who have been there. And I doubt we will be spending much time at the coast given the season.

#10 Posted: 2/7/2012 - 07:20

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Well that's your choice I suppose. Sihanoukville will certainly be no fun if its raining (where is though really?).

I guess you need to decide what type of holiday it is that you want. Relaxing with some sightseeing and travelling or one at 100mph where you see lots of places but don't really ever relax and chill with a beer.

Phnomh Penh to Kratie is 5-6 hours by bus, i.e a full day effectively.

#11 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 09:01

• goblin6

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012

Hey all, I am looking for someone to travel with to Cambodia (from UK) and maybe 2 nights inVietnam somewhere, October and November are the monsoon months?? but have been reading up and doesnt seem that the rain is constant?? (any comment please) otherwise I would make plans to go for about 2 weeks in January....... (Male, 37 yrs) , look forward to hearing from you soon.....Cheers!!

#12 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 03:00

• goblin6

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012

Hey again.... I would also appreciate any advice regarding where to see and anything to avoid!! Any other advise would kindly be appreciated! Thanks again

#13 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 03:02

• valencia1

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2012

We spent 5 nights in SR, visiting wats and also theplf.org, staying at the 7 candles guesthouse. The breakfasts were really yummy, including the Vietnamese coffee and special pancakes and muesli and fruit. There's no pool here but if you spend $5 at the hotel almost next door, you can swim there, which we did a few times.

Staying at 7 Candles is a nice way to contribute to what they are doing there for the impoverished rural kids' schools. I think it is hard to go through Cambodia and not want to make some type of contribution as a volunteer or monetary to whatever well recommended NGO you wish. A little goes a long way and after that I think your view of tourism will have changed forever. www.theplf.org

Please do not buy postcards from kids as they will never be allowed to go to school if they bring home money. You can help in other ways.

Our fabulous driver took us to Beng Melea.. ( do not miss) and explained many things to us along the way, stopping to explain items at roadside markets. We love traveling by tuk tuk also for the shorter runs and Angkor.. but the longer distances were more efficient in the AC'd car.

He also agreed to take us to Battambang where he left us after going to the soon to be extinct "Bamboo train": It was a lot of fun. We enjoyed Battambang and its low-key atmsophere. Very inexpensive new hotel Huot Seng hotel and a great tuk tuk driver that was recommended to us by the plf, KIM. We spent one evening her but I wouldn't have minded another day, although there didn't seem to be a lot to "do" but there was a very pleasant atmosphere around this small, manageable town.

Here's a youtube video of someone elses' trip. So much fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilJAczgfmHk&feature=related

We went to PP. We had some nice meals but this was a very sad city as we visited the Killing fields and every other dismal historic place one feels he must go . We walked through the genocide museum, but I couldn't stay for the film, so I waited fro my family across the street at the very peaceful Boddhi Tree café/restaurant. It is a training school restaurant for young Cambodians. You will enjoy it.

Since it was also at the end of our trip Cambodia's plight really affected us and every person we met had a story. Those you see over 30 are survivors of the regime. It is quite astonishing how some of them managed to stay alive under the conditions. We loved our upscale but inexpensive hotel there with a pool. Hotel 252.

Cambodia will grab your heart but it is a heart breaking trip,although the people and their struggle will stay with you forever. I can't wait to go back.

Here is the SR driver's name and email. His English is very good and I can attest that he is a safe driver. We will definitely use him when we go back. If you do contact him ( you don't have to pay in advance or anything) tell him the family from Spain wrote about him! Thanks. Enjoy your trip!

vuthy_006@yahoo.com

#14 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 03:15

• sonali22cha-
    uhan

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

Cambodia is a beautiful country & Cambodia is also very famous for travel, temple & culture! Phnom Penh is the capital and largest city of Cambodia. so you should stay at Lucky Hotel just down the road from Capitol Tours and Guest House.

#15 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 00:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.