Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Itinerary help no. 264... (northeastern cambodia vs. southern split)

• 3drazor

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2011

Yes, another one ;)
    I'm just planning my second stay in Cambodia and i'm actually a bit lost already. Here's what i want to do:
    I want to go from Laos (Pakse or 4000 Islands) to Ban Lung at the mid/end of october and stay there for 3 or 4 nights. After my stay in Ban Lung i want to stop in Kratie and Kampong Cham, until going either to the south or to Phnom Penh directly.
    So my questions are mostly about staying in which place for how long:
    Ban Lung - 3 or 4 nights ? Is this place really worth 4 nights, especially if you just spend two weeks in the northern Lao mountains ?
    Kratie - 2 nights (or should i extend this ?)
    Kampong Cham - 1 night (is there anything which would make a second night worth it?)
    big question next: Should i go to Sihanoukville for 2 or 3 nights or not ? I enjoyed Kampot very much and i would like to go back to the coast, but i fear that SHV might be not my cup of tea ;)
    The itinerary ends in PP for 4 nights, where i want do one or two day trips out to Kampong Chnang or maybe to the flat east with a trail bike.

#1 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 15:11

• Advertisement

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

Here is an idea for Ban Lung (outside of Ban Lung, actually, in the Voen Sai Protected Forest):
    http://www.gibbonspottingcambodia.com/app/

I haven't done that tour myself, but I've heard plenty of gibbons inside Virachey National Park, which is contiguous with the Voen Sai forest. Hearing gibbons in the wild is magical, and you might even get to spot them there (I spotted them in Virachey).

Could be really rainy in October, but Gibbon Spotting states that they do wet season treks.

Combine this with a day or two at the lake, and 4 nights won't be enough.

#2 Posted: 27/6/2012 - 08:30

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

...and how could I forget to mention hanging out and drinking rice wine with the highlanders? Do Yok is an English-speaking Tampuan guide who can speak all of the minority languages. You can have a really memorable day out with him:

#3 Posted: 27/6/2012 - 08:47

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

A lot of this you should sort when you get here.

Greg, I think Do Yok may be on the wagon...

#4 Posted: 28/6/2012 - 04:49

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan

He just sent me an email saying that he is a single man again and that he will soon be making a trip to the local "magic woman" to have her perform a sacrifice for him. I am guessing he is trying to rid himself of some bad luck. I will have to find out what happen.

#5 Posted: 28/6/2012 - 08:42

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Damn. I'll be up there in a bit. I had planned to give him a shout anyway...

#6 Posted: 28/6/2012 - 11:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
itinerary advise for one week in northeastern cambodia to laos ... By malaysiangirl on 15 Dec 2010 4 3007 2 Jan 2011
5 weeks Cambodia and Southern Laos Itinerary June / July ... By Anetian on 30 May 2013 3 1431 31 May 2013