Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Best Guide and Driver

• villeam

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2012

I booked Sotath (guide)sotatyanqin@yahoo.com,www.angkorguideone.com, and Mr Simonh (driver) I was thrilled with our choice. They were waiting for us (family with 2 children ages 5 and 13) at Siem Reap Airport with welcoming smiles and that set the tone for our 4 days in Siem Reap.I had been concerned before we arrived whether we had made the right choice of guide and would it be worth having a guide for the whole time. All of these fears were quickly set aside. Sotath is a warm, gentle and delightful man for whom nothing was too much trouble; last minute change of plans due to illness, tiredness of the children and even a flash downpour of rain.He was a mine of information and made the temples come alive for us all with lots of delightful stories. He quickly developed a rapport with the children and was extremely patient as the youngest child found the heat and walking very tiring.As a result we managed to visit and enjoy the main temples; Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm and Banteay Srei. We managed a sunrise at Angkor Wat but unfortunately it was a grey and overcast morning so no glorious sunrise. But it was spectacular to watch the temples appear out of the darkness. We also went to a silk farm run by Artisans d’Angkor which the children enjoyed learning about the making of silk from silk worms to the finished article.The only place we went to which was a disappointment was the floating village on Tonle Sap. A long drive followed by a boat ride along a narrow channel past groups of floating houses. The channel was full of other tourist boats and after the first few kilometres; it was more of the same. Plus the inevitable tourist stop where we felt obliged to buy something.We felt that having a guide and driver made it possible for us to do all the things we wanted to and more. Sotath was superb and we would highly recommend him to anyone considering a trip to Siem Reap.We stayed at Hotel de La Paix, which was absolutely luxurious and possibly lost on the children. The service was outstanding and we loved the gentle yet attentive service of all the staff. The main restaurant was excellent but expensive. The children preferred the café or eating at one of the many places in the town.We thoroughly enjoyed our brief visit to Siem Reap and hope to plan a return trip in the near future to explore more of Cambodia.

#1 Posted: 27/6/2012 - 02:35

• Advertisement

• Far

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

We was traveling to Cambodia in 2011,We also Sotath Guide Sotath offered us a great 3 day tour of Angkor Thom, and the surrounding sites. He was always early, always cheerful, informative of each site. He thought of everything including chilled water for the journey, reference books that we could borrow, and added extra information about what we could do around Siem Reap after our day at the sites., I can say that Sotath made the difference in our otherwise standard travel schedule. He is an excellent representative of his country.

Jing Far

#2 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 04:38

• KPL

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2012

We also used Sotath Guide, He was friendly,excellent guide and very good English

Yeanly

#3 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 08:37

• phuphum

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2011

Damn, send that man to my guesthouse immediately!

#4 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 21:10

• Alan85

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

We found Cambodia very beautiful in our last visit at there. we went many places in Cambodia and enjoyed our journey during stayed there. We stayed at Angkor and hire a car with driver in very cheap rate for visited to Phenom Pehn.

#5 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 02:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.