Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Phnom Pehn to HCMC

Posted by longleat on 20/4/2007 at 05:25

What are the options to get from Phnom Phen to HCMC? Besides flying, is there a bus that you can take all the way without changing at the border? How long does it take? How much does it cost? Would a taxi be able to take you all the way or do you have to find another taxi and negotiate the rate from the border to HCMC? Any idea of cost of taxi? Many thanks!

#1 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Posted by marianwarren on 20/4/2007 at 13:04

Hi longleat

The Capital Tours bus from PP to HCMC costs US$12. The bus leaves @ 9.00 am, you stop for lunch on the Cam side, customs about 20mins on Cam side and a little longer on Viet side. 2000 dong for health certificate. The bus driver does most of the stuff for you. I think we arrived at Sinh Cafe in De Tham St (backpacker area) around 3 ish. Very easy. Sorry can't help on taxi fares.

Travel well

Marian

#2 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by longleat on 20/4/2007 at 17:22

Thanks Marion! Did you stay on the same bus all the way? Best regards, Longleat

#3 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Posted by jimsparadise on 20/4/2007 at 18:01

Buses are cheaper than $12, try $5-6. Any Phnom Phen guesthouse can arrange for you. Another option, slightly more expensive, is Mekong River cruise from PP to HCMC. Again, most guesthouses have both these options on their boards, as well as $30 Vietnam visas. Enjoy....Jim

#4 jimsparadise has been a member since 25/11/2006. Posts: 30

Posted by marianwarren on 21/4/2007 at 04:28

Hi longleat

Yes, same bus all the way. Re ticket prices - I always compare prices before I buy them and if possible give the business to the place I am staying (if I like it).

Our tickets and Visas were arranged by Hotel Indochine 2 (riverside) and cost $12 and 1 day visa $35 (as noted in my journal), so while I may have been overcharged a $1-2 - certainly not $6-7. The bus to Siem Reap costs $6.

Regards

Marian

#5 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by marianwarren on 21/4/2007 at 07:51

As a addendum to my last post, The Phnom Penh 'Out & About' guide Nov 2006 Issue #3 - Destination Saigon quotes ... "Bus - This is probably the cheapest method, with prices typically around $12 including insurance"

This price included free pickup from our hotel so we saved the tuk tuk fare to the bus departure point. The guide mentions 3 bus companies - Mekong Express, Capitol Tours and Sorya Transport Company. The time you choose to depart will determine the company you use.

These little guides are very handy. They are published by Cambodia Pocket Guide. There is a PP 'Out & About' and 'Dining & Drinking' available from most restaurants. Also a Siem Reap version of both.

Regards

Marian

#6 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by longleat on 21/4/2007 at 09:00

Dear Marion,
Thanks so very much for all of the detailed information. You, as always, have been a great help!
Regards,
Longleat

#7 longleat has been a member since 12/10/2006. Posts: 53

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.