Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Spending Money

• Sweetzer

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Hi People,

Myself and my partner are heading to south east Asia in the next few weeks, we are spending 10 weeks in the area and plan to visit all the main spots. However, we do not have much of an idea as to how much money we should budget for whilst in south east Asia?

Any suggestions would be welcomed as to how much money we should budget for whilst in Asia visiting the likes of Cambodia, Nam, Laos etc..?

We arive into Bangkok and have 3 nights accomodation booked, then we need to find our own accomodation and navigate to different locations etc.

Hope to have some good feedback soon :)

#1 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 12:19

• Advertisement

• weblo

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

When i am in Thailand, I budget for 100 to 150 u.s per day. I understand that other countries are much cheaper.

#2 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 16:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

$100-150USD per day is quite a high budget - so it really depends on what your travel style is, how much moving around you will do, etc, etc.

I consider myself a flashpacker rather than hardcore backpacker, and my budget has been approx USD $50/day. That will include reasonably cheap food, simple but clean accom (fan rather than aircon, private room with bathroom), boats/ferries to move around islands. I don't drink when travelling since I don't like beer so that saves me a small fortune.

It's generally a bit cheaper in other countries and I allow maybe $45/day.

#3 Posted: 29/7/2012 - 17:27

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    How much money? How long is a piece of string??
    Thailand is going to be the most expensive place especially for booze. Hotels can cost $$$$ guest houses (outside of Bangkok & Phuket) 300 - 800 Baht a night. Fried rice can still be had for 50 Baht but a Western meal may set you back $15 and much, much more if you have wine.

Cambodia is probably the cheapest place where accommodation can still be found for under $10 & a western meal for 4 or 5 $ with beer at 50cents! (Not Phomm Phen).

Vietnam. Hotels around 15/20$ and reasonable food. Cheapest beer on the planet at 3,000 Dong a glass (30,000 Dong to the GBP when I was there).

There is no real answer to your question because the there are so many options (as an example, you may pay $2 a night more in Cambodia for hot water, $5 more for air con & for some people both of those are essentials).

If you have never been to Asia before it will probably be much cheaper than you think (except Thailand!!). Work out your own daily budget, based on your funds, and stick to it. If you have to rough it for a few days because you've overspent the previous week that's part of staying within your means.

My budget for Cambodia is 25$ a day plus extra for visas & travel. Thailand would be double that.
    Have fun,
    Mike

#4 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 17:14

• tkgurnick

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2012
    Location New Zealand

i'm in the same boat too as to how much i can save during my time in SEA.. i am hoping to not spend more than 50 dollars a day.. i'm new to this senario so i will try to drop it a little more if i can.. i am comfortable with where ever i stay, and what i eat.. as long as i get to enjoy my time there and get to see what i would like to which would be pretty much anything at a low cost i would be so happy!

#5 Posted: 10/8/2012 - 23:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Spending money ... By mitchlou84 on 7 Jan 2008 5 2438 10 Jan 2008