Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Advice for a solo female traveler?

• XeniaC

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2012

Hi guys,

I will be travelling to Siem Reap in a week or so, flying solo though. So I was wondering is it actually safe to do that? Are there perhaps any tours you can recommend where I can meet fellow travelers and stay within in a group? Cause till now, what I understood, most of the people are renting a guide and a tuk tuk, but don't really want to do that on my own.

Cheers!

X.

#1 Posted: 2/8/2012 - 23:43

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi - it is certainly safe enough to travel to, and around Siem Reap, so don't let that be a concern. Loneliness can be another story, and it really depends on how comfortable you are in your own company.

I can't help you tours, so maybe someone else will jump in with some ideas. If you are staying at a backpackers-type place, there is a good chance that you will meet some others who may be keen to have some company to see the sights.

But consider this as an option: you will find many of the tuktuk drivers are actually quite good guys. Talk to a few, and find one that speaks good English, and who seems quite communicative, and knowledgeable about the temples. Spending a day or two with one can be potentially be one of the most rewarding experiences you could have. They will often be happy to share their life story and maybe want to hear about your life. They'll give you an insight into Cambodia life. Get them to take you to a local food market for a meal rather than one of the standard touristy restaurants.

When I was in Cambodia the first time I travelled with my sister. We did most stuff together but we had a day where we each wanted to see different things: she wanted to go hang out at an orphanage which I abhorred, and I wanted to go explore the countryside. We had a driver that we used for the 3-4 days that we were there, and I got him to take me to the village area that I wanted to go to. It was was on the most rewarding, eye opening days that I had, and I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to talk to a local. Picking the right driver is key - and make use of his services for your entire stay.

Anyhow - just food for thought. Don't let the idea of going it alone scare you off. But perfectly understandable if you prefer the company of others.

#2 Posted: 3/8/2012 - 01:22

• Ted_Anderson

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Hi there, I totally agree with busylizzy, because I myself ever feel like you and finally i think that will make my trip not fun, so just like to enjoy with the city tour, talk to the friendly guide and driver, go to see villager and talk to them also buy some souvenir product from them and at night i go to the pub street where i can find the other solo traveller too so we can have a fun time together. For my experience, I would recommend you one travel agency to arrange the solo trip for you as same as my package that i buy from them last time. Even I am a single traveler but the services that they offer make me feel that i'm not alone cos i always got some phone call from them via the tour guide driver to ask how is going on...etc Also the guide is friendly with the clear explanation on the tour side. I think you can mail them via this email for asking more detail ( email : rya@laroute-angkor.com ). Hope my post would help you.

Cheer Cheer
    Ted

#3 Posted: 3/8/2012 - 04:47

• chris2x

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Sure, lots of tours. I am a fan of Intrepid Travel's small group tours but have not tried them in Cambodia per say. Might also ask on the "Solo Travel Society" in FaceBook.

#4 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 22:17

• XeniaC

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2012

Thanks guys! I'm in Cambodia now and definitely enjoying my stay here :)

#5 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 01:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
27 y/o female solo traveler Oct 18-Dec 18 ... By Bevatron on 2 Oct 2010 0 2099 2 Oct 2010
Solo Female Traveler ... By DawgsnSaints12 on 24 Jan 2012 2 2545 28 Apr 2013
Solo female traveler with questions! ... By adbeats06 on 23 Oct 2013 13 1268 25 Oct 2013
Solo Female Traveler on February 2015 ... By chels13 on 5 Nov 2014 6 596 8 Nov 2014
Solo Female Traveler Looking for Travel Friends ... By JDavie on 24 Apr 2013 19 4311 30 Oct 2013
Solo Female/26 Traveler Looking for Travel Friends ... By LeaTravels on 6 Nov 2013 29 2502 17 May 2014
Solo Female Traveler Looking for Travel Friends! ... By JDavie on 23 Apr 2013 0 1328 23 Apr 2013
solo female traveler- itinerary help and possible travel buddy ... By cmb2 on 27 Jun 2013 2 1334 13 Jul 2013
California Solo Female Traveler Spending April in Thailand ... By kaceyh415 on 27 Mar 2012 0 1393 27 Mar 2012
Solo Traveler to singapore (Female) Eat, sleep, see, shop info. ... By antarathokchom on 3 Jun 2014 0 702 3 Jun 2014