Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Beaches and Islands off Cambodia??

• OceanGazer

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2012

I have 4 weeks in South East Asia and right now am deciding between remote island hopping in Thailand or exploring Cambodia in more depth. I was there for ten days before and did the typical Siem Reap and Phnom Penn sites. Does anyone have any good experience of the beaches and islands? I don't want party central I am 30 and my idea of heaven, is a quietish beach, with great snorkling/diving and cheap beers and great seafood in the evening. My best week of my last South East Asia trip was on Tioman off Malaysia, which is pretty remote, though does have electricity all day. So looking for similar or better places to visit off Cambodia. I am not into happy pizza and all night parties. If i end up chatting and drinking a few beers all night, thats perfect but thats about it. Getting old here!
    Any tips I would be most grateful

#1 Posted: 6/8/2012 - 06:08

• Advertisement

• Realta35

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

Looking for a similar vibe trying to decide on islands anyone got an opinion?

#2 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 08:20

• OceanGazer

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2012

Realta35, starting to think i might just stick to the more remote Thai islands. Just read an awful lot about the cambodian islands being taken over by private developers. And sihonuakville sounds a bit too much a party scene for me, though be happy to hear other peoples opinions.

#3 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 08:33

• Realta35

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

I have to do beach in Cambodia I'm running out of time and fly out of HCMC on the 31st! Im hoping there will be somewhere that's a bit more chilled. I've been told otres isn't too party town and a friend who went to lazy beach last year raved about it. Enjoy the Thai islands. I'm off to experience ankor w tomorrow

#4 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 09:45

• Realta35

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

Hi ocean gazer I'm just back from 6 days in Koh Rong. Stayed at AKAs guesthouse, highly reccomend it $5 a night, really nice staff and great food. Island was beautiful had two rainy days but it didn't seem to matter. If u get the chance my advice is jump on a boat and indepently arrange your accomadation. There are lots of people saying resorts are closed to get you to stay with them.... Well worth the trip:)

#5 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 02:36

• OceanGazer

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2012

Thanks Realta. I am really torn now, though i have plenty of time to decide as I am not going until February, my best week on my last trip was a week on Tioman Island off malaysia. it just had more mature travellers, though still we enjoyed a few to many mojitos and tigers beers some nights, there were only two and a half bars on the island, with no thumping music, just chilling on the beach chatting the night away. No roads where we were just a concrete path from one end of the beach to another. I had a little hut for myself with a cold water hose pipe for a shower over my toilet, and a fan over my bed, about 4 metres from the beach it was just perfect. While i was there , they had a locals vs foreigners football match which the locals won about 10-1! but it was great fun, Thats the kinds thing I like.

#6 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 04:38

• Realta35

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

Well koh rong Saloem is probably even quieter but more expensive. For me koh rong seems like an island that in 5 yrs will be ruined by developers but at the moment it's pretty lush. Enjoy the rest of your trip I'm back to work Monday, aghhhhh!

#7 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 11:05

• lylzezane01

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2012
    Location Australia

I think youre probably better off doing Thai islands. The cambodian islands (from my experience) are full of 20 somethings who have tried to escape the craziness of the mainland or 20 somethings who have moved on to the islands to expand for the evergrowing development. Nothing wrong with that of course, just not everyones cup of tea.

Snorkelling/ Diving is said to be better in Thailand aswell, with Cambodia being the cheap option.

Not to mention noisy construction works.

#8 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 10:54

• OceanGazer

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2012

Am decided! Am going to cambodia, do ten days around some more remote towns inland then exploring the islands for me, the fresher the seafood and the colder the beer the better!

#9 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 08:18

• Coles

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011

Rabbit Island of the south coast near Kep is great. There are boats running regularly from the wharf at Kep. Theres not a lot to do on the island, walking swimming, lying in a hammock and enjoying some down time. They have generator power at night and a handful of bars/restaurants, and some very basic accomodation. During the day it is busier with people just visiting for a few hours but overnight it is quiet and nice and peaceful, no thump bang music, just a few drinks and chatter. It definitely was not a party island when I was there

#10 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 22:40

• Advertisement

• pjsallowed

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2013

I am travelling later this month with my 16 yr old daughter & 13 yr old son, having read up on Sihanoukville, that is a definite NO but Rabbit Island sounds almost perfect, any other suggestion for a few days beach stay to end our time in cambodia ?

Many thanks.

#11 Posted: 2/3/2013 - 07:31

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Koh Rong probably wouldn't be suitable since it's turned into a bit of a party place, but without the sleazy side that you find in S'ville, but there are a few islands that are much quieter (although I can't say what they are like from experience, since I've only been to Koh Rong).

As well as Koh Tonsay (Rabbit Island) which is off Kep, there is Koh Ta Kiev and Koh Russei off S'ville, so they could be worth checking out!

http://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/koh_russei
    http://www.travelfish.org/location/cambodia/southern_cambodia/sihanoukville/koh_ta_kiev

Enjoy :)

#12 Posted: 5/3/2013 - 11:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
4000 Islands, Beaches in Cambodia, or Beaches in Vietnam? ... By ekumbier on 26 Apr 2012 3 2965 11 May 2012
Beaches / Islands - Cambodia ... By hacketta on 7 Dec 2011 12 3542 22 Jan 2012
Cambodia's best beaches/islands? ... By Thewatersedge on 5 Nov 2009 2 3175 5 Nov 2009
Islands/Beaches in Cambodia ... By ybg on 17 Apr 2013 2 1893 13 May 2013
Best Beaches / Islands - Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By Jenniferious on 9 May 2009 1 17567 10 May 2009