Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Battambang - Help us paint a bit, stay for free!

• JenandFerg

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2012

My boyfriend and I are doing up a house in Battambang so that we can turn it into a bar/guest house. If anyone's traveling through and would like a free room in return for a few hours a day help with painting etc, we'd love to hear from you. You'd have a good double mattress on the floor of a clean freshly-painted room, with mosquito net, pillows and clean sheets, and your own bathroom. If you're interested, please email me at ogilviejen@hotmail.com.

#1 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:27

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey - if you don't get any replies here, you may want to try a listing on http://www.workaway.info/ - it's a website that is geared for the type of thing that you are offering.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 15:02

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Liz. I don't quite see what they are offering. Local labour would probably set you back about $30 a week in BB.
    If they can't afford that how can they afford to start a business.
    It would give work and money to a local as well.

#3 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 02:30

• JenandFerg

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2012

Perfect, thanks Liz - we'll do that.

Sayadian - all perfectly true, and we will employ some more casual labour once our Khmer friend arrives. My Khmer is embarrassingly still shocking, and communication is tricky with the Khmer guy we do have working with us just now. But we have spare rooms and thought backpackers might appreciate the offer. Also, it would be nice to have people around.

#4 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 07:34

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

So good luck to the two of you but you've missed a trick here.You haven't given the location of your place and perhaps it has a name already? Haven't been to BB in years(apart from stopping on the bus to the border).It's a deceptive city, seems to be so small but when you start wandering around you realise it's much bigger than you think.Lovely countryside as well.Last time I spent time there the BusStop bar was the only western establishment that offered rooms.I wonder if it's still there?
    Keep the Khmer lessons up, the numbers are a bit tricky often wondered why they don't have dedicated words for 6,7,8,9. I'm sure you'll do OK.Best wishes

#5 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 10:54

• JenandFerg

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2012

Thanks Sayadian. You're right, the countryside around here is beautiful. The town itself seems to be changing fast. We first came about three years ago and spent hours wandering around in the dark lost on the wrong side of the river - where there's now a landscaped park, and street lights, and businesses. But it's very much a Khmer town still, not a tourist theme park, which I like. The Bus Stop is still here, under new management. And I definitely mean to start up the Khmer again. Just as soon as I finish painting this bathroom....!

#6 Posted: 15/8/2012 - 20:12

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

It's a tough sell to backpackers when you can get pretty reasonable accommodation here for $3 a night (yep, I'm posting from it; shitty fan though...) and a good standard hotel room for $6.

There's certainly a lot more choice of guesthouses and excellent English speakers than I expected and luckily for you also a lot of backpackers wandering the centre. If you want some more people around maybe drag us in with some drinks promos ;-)

#7 Posted: 17/8/2012 - 11:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.