Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Islands and accomodation in august/september

• waltervos

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2010

Please note, I've asked this question the Lonely Planet board as well but I didn't get much of an answer. Perhaps the people at Travelfish are more knowledgeable on this topic.

In my search for the perfect island and accomodation I had a few options, but it seems that many are closed in August and September due to weather conditions. Now some are still open, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to visit an island at all or that it's maybe it's better to go for a beach on the mainland. Or no beach at all (this would be a heartbreaker :-( )??? Could you advise me on this please? I'll be visiting between August 18 and September 9.

So far I've found out the following about accomodation:

- Koh Tonsay has accomodation available and lots of it, so it seems.
    - Koh Ru, which is on Koh Russei is doubtful. I found a message buried deep on their Facebook page saying that they're closed, but this was months ago and their website doesn't mention it. They were recommended by Liam MacKenzie of Adventure Charters Cambodia
    - The Adventure Charters Cambodia campground on Koh Ta Kiev is closed.
    - Ten103 on the same island is open according to manager of the campground though.
    - Koh Thmei Resort on (you guessed it) Koh Thmei is also open, I got confirmation via e-mail from them.
    - Nomad's Land on Koh Totang also appears to be open, but it's kind of out of the way I think.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 02:00

• Advertisement

• waltervos

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2010

A little update:

- Paradise Bungalows on Koh Rong is open
    - Robinson Bungalows, a relatively new outfit on Koh Rong Saloem, is open and charges only $9 per night in low season (now, I guess) for what seems to be a very nice bungalow on the sunset side of the island

#2 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 07:27

• waltervos

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2010

Nomad's Land is also closed, until november.

#3 Posted: 15/8/2012 - 06:56

• Realta35

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

Hi there. I'm in Siam Reap at the moment and hoping to spend some time on the islands before I return home. Would be interested in people's opinion on staying tge islands at this time of the year. I'm travelling on my own and would like to end my trip with some snorkelling and blue seas. Will the weather be suspect at this time of the yr? I've looked at lazy beach but I think it's out if my budget so any reccomendations really welcomed, Lorr

#4 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 08:09

• Realta35

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2012

Hi waltervos,
    Just back from Koh rong. Accomadation is not at problem I stayed at AKAs guesthouse run by a some southafricans. Loved it, $5 a night. I just got boat myself, arrived in S'ville at 625 am and was on boat for 8 am. There seems to be a bit of island politics and people will take u off boat and say certain places are closed. My advice is ignore them and wander yourself. I loved it,not too developed, beautiful beaches, diving and snorkelling

#5 Posted: 28/8/2012 - 02:43

• waltervos

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2010

I ended up going to Koh Thmei. It's a pretty short boatride that you can arrange with the owners of the only accomodation (Koh Thmei Resort) before hand. Sadly, the weather didn't really permit any exploration of the island so my girlfriend and I just kicked back for a couple of days reading, frisbeeing, collecting shells and such. It looks like it could be a beautiful place but I would advise against it in the wet season. Everyday we had pretty intense rain storms. It was still pretty romantic that way but I would have preferred to find a private beach and snorkle.

There's always next time :)

#6 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 08:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.