Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Should I take my DSLR?

• lylzezane01

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2012
    Location Australia

So Im heading back and planning to cover most of south Cambodia in December. I did a trip at the start of this year and went from KL to Hanoi, via Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. I had a compact camera with me and have had a lot of trips where this was just fine and I had no hassles. But my trip to Laos made me decide that this time I will take my DSLR next time.

What do you guys think? As far as I know Ill be doing Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville, but I cant tell you any more than that. Should I take it? I am more worried about leaving it in a hotel room because I can guess that I will be roughing it. How do I disclose it properly when Im out and about so I dont catch attention? (Im already young, very pale and tall with dark hair and light features).

Also, I will more than likely be doing a whole lot of nothing on beaches, so I figure what better way to pass time and see my surrounds. Any opinions and tips will be great :)

#1 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 12:02

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I just keep my camera, etc locked in my backpack whenever I leave it behind in the room. I also hide any cables, etc. If in doubt, carry it with you.

It's always a difficult one about feeling conspicuous when using a DSLR in Asia. I generally feel OK in the more touristy areas where everyone is used to seeing them. But if I'm in remote -off-the-beaten-track areas, I will often prefer to use my smaller point-and-shoot (I carry both normally).

#2 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 14:51

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi, Don't take it.
    Life is living it. Enjoying being where you are. Life is being a part of it.
    What advantage does it mean to have a DSLR? You were there. You saw it. You did it. Do you want to live your life through a camera lens just so you can show the people back home what you saw? I have thousands of photos sitting in boxes and later on hard drives that no one has seen.
    Enjoy the moment, live the moment. Pictures come a very last place!! Don't take it. Take a cheapo and enjoy just being there!
    Mike

#3 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 16:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Good point Mike.

Not sure if I could bring myself to leave a camera behind, but I do sometimes make an effort to go out and about without my camera - for the reasons that you stated. To enjoy and live the moment, and also to eliminate the barrier that a camera can be to meeting locals, etc.

#4 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 19:00

• lylzezane01

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2012
    Location Australia

If only everyone had your attitude! Just last night I was at a large-ish gig and I couldn't see anything because I was stuck behind some overly high pitched girls who felt the need to record the whole show on their phones. But before you call me a hypocrite, my photos are often published in a magazine and it is more than just a tourist-thing to brag about your adventures with to friends when you get home.

On one hand, all of my serious photo-taking friends are adamant that I take it with me and even shun me for traveling before without it. On the other, majority of travellers are saying not too. Oh whatever shall I do?

#5 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 22:29

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Naturally the dedicated photographers will tell you to take a dslr and the casual photographers will tell you to take a compact.

If photography is a serious pursuit than take the DSLR.
    If you are backpacking and want to travel light, than take the a point and shoot.

It all depends on what is best for you.

#6 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 23:03

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Take the DSLR.

There's nothing worse than looking at point-and-shoot photos post-trip and wishing they were better.

#7 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 20:21

• lylzezane01

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2012
    Location Australia

Thanks. Ive decided that I will take my cheaper slr. It doesnt look as 'bling' and Im not as attached to it so I wont be so heartbroken if it goes hiatus. I plan to do a longer when I finish my degree from the NT to Sweden and I figure ill see a lot more and be more comfortable spending more money on good insurance (I have expensive lenses and I'm under 21 so its expensive). This is more of a chill out trip. Not to mention beach photography can get really generic after awhile.

#8 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 22:16

• Juha_H

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

Hi there,

Great topic. I'm going this week to Cambodia and thinking should I take 5D II DSLR and fistful of L-series lenses with me or not. I'm bit worried if the whole camera set is stolen in no-time, but I believe that it's worth to take the risk because landscapes in Cambodia are probably so beautiful and khmer people have really photogenic smile.

#9 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 14:57

• lylzezane01

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2012
    Location Australia

If you are travelling to Cambodia for the first time I really recommend that you take your 5D. I wouldnt worry too much about taking too many lenses (they are annoying to carry, get dirty, brake easily) etc. I was so paranoid because I was staying in hostels and that but if I was staying anywhere else and it was my first time I would have definately taken it.

I have travelled around asia 7 or so times and I have only ever had two things stolen from me. One was when my luggage was under a bus and the other was in a high end hotel. I was an idiot and use the safe. The cleaning ladies stole my stuff.

So yeah, Id say take your DSLR. Cambodia is too beautiful to miss out on. Make use of safes. Always padlock your bag (even if the locks dont close the zips- its just a deterant and if theives really wanted to get in there they could anyways). Dont flash about your things and try to look as low key an unimportant as possible.

I met a guy over there that took his 10C. He just covered it in duct tape and elastic band and what not to make it look broken. Judging by his blog, the tactic seem to have worked.

#10 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 16:23

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.