Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Flight from Siem Reap to Pakse (Laos)

• vuh

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

Hi every body,

I plan to flight from Siem Reap to Pakse in order to save time and after my researchs, Laosairlines serves this flight for around 100 USD.
    But I've heard that Laosairlines is not a reliable company and the planes are not correctly maintained and it is quite dangerous flying with Laosairlines.
    To avoid this risk, I've been advice to flight SR to Bangkok and Bankok to Vientiane in order to get into Laos by air. It sounds safer but to more expensive and I could not arrive to Pakse as I wanted.

Did anyone has recently flight with Laosairlines on this same route ? What is your opinion about that ?

Thank you anyone who could help

#1 Posted: 2/5/2007 - 15:58

• Advertisement

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Vuh,

I have used Lao Airlines twice from Chiang Mai, Thailand to Luang Prabang, Laos (BHT 4,050) and from Pakse, Laos to Siem Reap, Cambodia (US $85). It's cheaper to fly from SR to Pakse (I think US$70)

The check in process and the inflight service was very good. I would highly recommend paying the extra money to fly instead of taking the dreaded bus ride from SR to Pakse which takes two days and who knows how many bus/mini van changes.

Don't believe what the guide books say about Lao Airlines. They have been wrong on many occassions before. Did the guide books say anything about not flying with Garuda or Adam airlines in Indonesia? Look what happened there. Also, Lao Airlines is partly owned by one of the most reputable aviation companies from China.

Save time and money and fly Lao Airlines.

Ernie

#2 Posted: 2/5/2007 - 16:33

• vuh

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

Hi Ernie,

Thank you for your reply. I'll try Laos Airlines and will give my feedback afterwards.

Do you know if it is possible to get a Laos visa at Pakse airport? If not possible, I would get it beforehands in Cambodia.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 2/5/2007 - 23:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I think you'll need your visa beforehand - I'm not sure if you can get visa on arrival at Pakse airport, so may as well get it in Phnom Penh.

Like Ernie, I'd not hesitate to fly Lao Airlines. You used to get a free BeerLao after take-off but no more unfortunately!

#4 Posted: 3/5/2007 - 13:15

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Vuh,

If time permits get your visa from the embassy in Phom Phenh. If not, you can always get a tourist visa on arrival as Pakse is an International airport as it services flights from Bangkok (Bangkok Air) and Siem Reap (Lao Airlines). A tourist visa costs US$ 30 - 42 depending on your nationality. If your Canadian you will pay the highest visa fee of US $42.

The majority of guesthouses are located 3 km from the airport. A tuk tuk will cost around 10,000 kip (US $1 = Kip 9,500) from the airport to the city.

Ernie

#5 Posted: 3/5/2007 - 14:45

• fersum

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Ernie,

i've tried to find out about getting a visa in Pakse.
    Do you know for sure?
    Thing is, i would fly siem reap - pakse - vientiane - kunming so i just need a visa to transfer but i want to be sure i can get it in pakse. Othwerwise i will rush to the lao embassy!

Thanks for your help!

Fernanda

#6 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 10:34

• vuh

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2007

Hello Fernanda
    I can give my feed back about Laos Airlines now.
    I've flight in June 2007 from Siem Reap to Pakse with Laos Airlines and it was good.
    Price; 75USD and 25 USD for airport tax.
    As Siem Reap airport is very small, check in was quick.

At Pakse airport, you can obtain your visa for Laos for 28 days. Prices are indicated on a list according to your nationality but it is between 25 USD and 30 USD. It is done very quickly as the Pakse airport is
    small.
    From Pakse airport to downtown, it is only 2 km, so, do not pay more than 1 USD for a motorbike.

Hope it will help.
    vuh

#7 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 16:04

• rhymeandrea-
    son

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2008
    Location United Kingdom

Just been reading this thread - interested that everyone is saying use Laos Airlines when Siem Reap Airways seems cheaper - 60 USD quoted just now - to Pakse. Is there something i should know?

Also - is it best to do this as part of Discovery Airpass, book direct online or (quite literally) wing it on arrival at Siem Reap ??

btw, we're actually heading for Vientiane and can't get a straight answer whether anyone who flies there from Siem Reap , so from there I'm planning to take the VIP overnight bus (14 USD) to Vientiane ... unless there's a better plan?

cheers
    R&R

#8 Posted: 17/9/2008 - 20:42

• Dijahtalism

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

Hi Vuh!

I know it's been a long time, but can you explain to me how you booked ur tickets?

Thank u very much

#9 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 20:13

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Dijahtalism

You asked about whether one could fly from Siem Reap to Pakse.

You posted on:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/6777_flying-from-siem-reap-to-pakse

I looked, and responded by writing that I found from the web that no-one flew.

Somtam said it can be done, and showed the link to do it.

If you go back there, you'll see his post.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• Dijahtalism

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

Hi everyone!

I tried amadeus (website to book tickets) but it seemed there was no possibility to get to Pakse from Siem Reap .

Updated information :

So I called the Laos airlines company in Paris and I was informed that the Pakse airport is closed from the 1st of July to the 31st of August. The employee told me that there are flights from Siem Reap to Savannaketh, then buses are set to get to Pakse (3 hours and 8 $ one way). She told me that the price would remain the same for the flight as 74 $ + 25 $ tax and fees one way.

Thank you BruceMoon,

Dijahtalism

#11 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 22:05

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Dijahtalism

I note that Siem Reap Airlines are now advertising the link for US$58...

http://www.siemreapairways.com/onlinefare/?destination=rep

Cheers

#12 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 09:31

• samadam

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2009

Hi

I'm new to Travelfish and have spent hours on here today looking at options for my trip.

I'm looking to travel through Laos into Cambodia and was going to travel overland via Stung Treng but not sure if there is much to see/do in the towns between ST and Phnom Penh? We are expecting to spend 4 weeks through Laos, 2 weeks in Cambodia and 4 weeks in Vietnam so time is not that tight but then we want to pack a lot in.

Looked at flights from Pakse to PP or SR but their website today says that flights from Pakse are currently unavailable. Are there any other alternatives??

Any information greatly appreciated!

#13 Posted: 4/10/2009 - 23:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi samadam,
    Pakse airport is closed at the moment, the flights use Savannakhet instead (and you make your way south from there).

For points between Stung Treng and PP, Kratie (dolphins and cycle trips) and Kompong Cham (temples and boat trips) are the two main candidates.

Cheers

#14 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 08:18

• samadam

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2009

Thanks! That's great. I'll look into Kratie and Kompong Cham and see which suits us best!

Travelfish is great, I'm a loyal fan now!

#15 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 19:34

• gillerz960

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

Is Pakxe airport still closed? I plan to fly from Siem Reap to there in about a week's time.

#16 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 13:26

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

This might throw some (as in a little!)light on the subject:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1878435

#17 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 07:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Does a flight still exist between Pakse and Siem Reap? ... By Dkirzner on 23 Jan 2010 1 2918 29 Jan 2010
Pakse to Siem Reap ... By Missis on 7 Sep 2009 7 20050 7 Jan 2010
Flying from Siem Reap to Pakse ... By Dijahtalism on 7 Jul 2009 8 4542 15 Jul 2009
Busing it from pakse to siem reap ... By takezo on 15 Dec 2013 0 618 15 Dec 2013
Update on Flights from Pakse to Siem Reap ... By esedransk on 26 Jun 2009 1 3300 27 Jun 2009
Flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap ... By ChrisM48 on 31 Mar 2007 2 2584 11 Apr 2007
HCMC to Siem Reap Flight ... By gschwarz9981 on 27 Jul 2009 2 2238 27 Jul 2009
flight HCMC to Siem Reap ... By LindaBuskin on 5 Feb 2009 9 4431 27 Jul 2009
Flight from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh ... By Tamworth54 on 16 Dec 2007 1 2815 16 Dec 2007
Booking Flight Hanoi-Siem Reap ... By smash on 7 Dec 2009 1 2339 8 Dec 2009