• AndyG

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2012

City Gems
    Road 30
    Tropieng Sez
    Kokchok commune,
    Siem Reap Town
    In June 2012 whilst visiting thewonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfullysaid yes.
    As we were in Cambodia we decided tobuy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shopafter visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, wasaccording to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a
    genuine diamond.
    On returning we got this valued forinsurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in factzirconia and worthless.
    When we contacted City Gems theydenied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not afake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists).
    The only way they would refund is ifwe sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if theycannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they receivedthe ring.
    As we paid by credit card ( CityGems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again youdecide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on ourbehalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.
    There are many reputable jewellersin Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.
    I have sent the above to manyCambodian tour operators.

#1 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 21:15

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

First and only post Andy?

#2 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 21:30

• AndyG

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2012

Yes. Why ?

#3 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 21:31

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Can't see what your implying Exacto, guy seems genuine enough from my limited knowledge and experience of the gem trade.
    I once met a gem dealer on my travels and he advised me never to buy any gems, anywhere unless I had a great deal of experience in the trade.He particularly mentioned that a set diamond cannot be verified-it must be seen out of the setting.Gem dealing the whole world over is a dodgy business and even if you go to a reputable dealer, if you don't know your stones you'll probably pay well over the odds in commission to the seller.

#4 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 08:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree with you sayadian. Andy does seem genuine enough to me too, particularly when compared to other first-and-only posts complaining about a bad experience. I also agree with you that gem dealing the world over is a dodgy business. Luckily, this seemed to have an unexpectedly positive outcome with a full refund.

Andy, I was just expressing disappointment that after a trip to southeast Asia, your one and only contribution to the website was a complaint. That's all. I'm glad the whole thing ended well.

#5 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 16:04

• Odesk1211

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

exacto my question is how people trust on Colombia people in purchasing GEMS!

#6 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 16:14

• AndyG

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2012

I can assure you I am genuine and am not a rival shop.
    @Exacto. No problems and understand.
    @Odesk. What has this to do with Colombia ?

#7 Posted: 29/9/2012 - 23:12

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

AndyG
    The threads on here often drift-haven't heard anything about gems in Somalia yet.
    ;-)
    Exacto and AndyG
    Yes, it would be nice to hear some positives about the trip just to help people along.

#8 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 02:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
bus from ho chi mihn city to siem reap ... By pjc57 on 17 Apr 2011 3 2101 18 Apr 2011
Flight from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City ... By lucyhudson on 12 Feb 2007 3 3859 12 Feb 2007
Itinerary from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City ... By jackie66 on 3 Jan 2008 5 6723 25 Jan 2008
Buying a camera in Ho Chi Minh City ... By Lawoat on 22 Aug 2009 3 6876 25 Aug 2009
Buying merrel-like shoes in HCM city? ... By itchyfeet on 23 Dec 2009 3 2088 25 Dec 2009
Buying flights from Ho Chi Minh city to Thailand? ... By mrnice88 on 22 Apr 2010 3 3553 23 Apr 2010