Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Kep - Sea festival

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

In reaction to the blog writing about the sea festival to be held in Kep .

It doesn't mention when it will take place. There's just a reference to new year's 2012-13 for planning and that implies that the festival will be held around that time.
    There is indeed a need to plan for this period, due to chistmas holiday and Kep water festival, but it is NOT when the sea festival will be held.

The Sea festival in Kep will most likely be held on 12/12/12 which has been confirmed by local authorities (but can always change of course). Booking for this period is highly advisable.

Try to get your facts right before you post such blogs...

#1 Posted: 3/10/2012 - 08:52

• Advertisement

• robschneider

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi, Thanks for your concern. The Phnom Penh Post was my primary source. They wrote: "Under the theme 'Blue Sea, Green City', the festival will be begin on December 30 in Kep province." I also found similar information elsewhere online. Unfortunately, the Ministry of Tourism still had last year's announcement posted, so I went with the PP Post's info, since they're usually pretty clued in and it corresponded with last year's festival in Sihanoukville. I'll keep an eye out for official announcements and amend the article if necessary. Thanks again.

source:
    http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2012091858773/Business/thousands-expected-for-cambodias-sea-festival.html

Cheers,
    Rob Schneider

#2 Posted: 3/10/2012 - 20:32

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

So, I went to an official meeting with the new governor in Kep and can tell definitive date for the festival 29, 30 and 31 of december.

The original plan was for it to be held on 12/12 but just 2 days ago a decree came from PP that the festival is to held on the above dates because the highest officials will be attending.

This will post a big challenge because most western places are already fully booked for this period (hence the chosen date of 12/12). There is talk of bringing tents to accommodate visitors but I doubt that these tents will be comfortable for western tourists.

If you do want to visit this festival booking early (now, may be a good moment) is imperative. On the up-side there will be lots of great activities and sports (boat races, (beach), boxing, tennis and so on) volleyball, on display and the festival area will be in front of Provincial hall. Most of Kep will be pedestrian only.

#3 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 01:47

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I remember visiting Kep 8 years ago.Just as you arrived there was an area on the right with atap shelters and the usual hammocks and we pulled in there and were surrounded by women selling seafood.We strolled around and all you could see were the overgrown shells of villas and a dirty beach.We were warned to leave before dusk as the road was 'infested' with bandits.We left too late and my girl kept shouting for me to go faster in the dark despite the massive potholes.
    How it must have changed. I presume they must have rebuilt the villas and added more accommodation though I doubt you could do much with the dirty beach.
    I think I was the only barang there.
    Would I recognise it now?

#4 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 03:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Tks Rob & Eastwest for the update.

Sayadian: No chance ;-)

#5 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 06:04

• robschneider

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2011
    Location Australia

Thanks for the update, eastwest.

#6 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 07:09

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

SEA festival has been cancelled.

It is not confirmed yet from all sides but most likely the festival will not take place during planned days (see above) due to passing of Sihanouk.
    Alternative dates are being considered but nothing has been decided yet.

Whether the local water festival will take place remains to be seen but if it will, it will be downsized.

#7 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 05:17

• robschneider

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2011
    Location Australia

Thanks again - yes, it looks like it has been cancelled. I'll go update the post. Here's the Phnom Post link: http://www.sihanoukville-cambodiajournal.com/2012/11/11/the-dark-side-of-the-new-cambodia/

#8 Posted: 12/11/2012 - 04:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.