Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Are there ANY trusted bus companies from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville?

Posted by wontstayin on 12/10/2012 at 03:46

Am heading over to Sihanoukville shortly and wanted to get advice on which bus companies to avoid as there's some horror stories out there. Based on reports from this site, it seems the ones to avoid are:

Rith Mony
Paramount Angkor Express (sister co.to Rith Mony)
Virak-Buntham Express Ltd

Can anyone actually recommend which bus to use that won't leave me stranded, take far too long, break down or make me sit on the floor?

Many thanks

#1 wontstayin has been a member since 5/10/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by tyler on 12/10/2012 at 22:26

I've always taken Sorya. It is local, cheap and reliable - based on my experiences the last few years. Comfy seat with air con. Always get the seat that I purchased and have never had to sit on the floor. I've only seen others on the floor one time (picked up mid journey from PP to SR) but no chickens.
I have never had an issue with safety.

#2 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by sayadian on 13/10/2012 at 01:01

It's right the OP's list of bus companies have a horrendeous safety record.Saying that the roads of Cambodia will always be dangerous because of dangerous overtaking.(It's hair-raising on a motorbike, believe me)
I didn't know Sorya did that route and if they do I would agree with Tyler.
Strangely when I first came to Cambodia they were the worst company for breakdowns, lateness etc but now they seem to have got their act together and are very reliable.
In 7 years in Cambodia I've never been asked to sit on the floor and all those years ago there was usually only one bus per route which didn't leave until it was full.
Times have changed for the better.
The guys on the bus normally carry stools so they can pick up people on route and make an extra buck for themselves but normally these days you get a seat number and their quite strict if someone takes your seat they are told to move.
As far as breakdowns, as I said Sorya have a decent record but bear in mind nobody services buses in Cambodia and there are plenty of idiots on the road so you'll never be as safe as The West.
Anyway, sit back and enjoy the scenery coming from Koh Kong. It's a windy road through thick forest.

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by wontstayin on 13/10/2012 at 06:17

Many thanks for the advice.

@Tyler: where do you get ticket from? Is there a Sorya ticket office in town or just get it from bus station, before boarding?

Thanks again

PS: Will save the joys of biking til another time Sayadian!!

#4 wontstayin has been a member since 5/10/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by sayadian on 13/10/2012 at 07:03

If you're in KK look out for Paddy. He's got a bar and guesthouse. Despite the name he is local and very helpful. I would imagine any guesthouse can obtain a ticket for you.

Yeh, motorbiking in Cambodia. :-)

I just love the way you are invisible to the oncoming, overtaking driver. You just have to get onto the dirt or...die!

#5 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by tyler on 13/10/2012 at 07:06

Hey,
I might have mislead you here - sorry. I can't see a direct route to S'ville from Koh Kong. With Sorya you will probably have to go back to PP.
I'm interested to know how you end up doing this. Please post again when you arrive.

#6 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by sayadian on 13/10/2012 at 07:37

This is the guy to ask and he's a great cook too

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paddys-Bamboo-Guesthouse/181934751834254?sk=info

#7 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by wontstayin on 21/10/2012 at 16:37

Do I need to book a bus ticket in advance or can I just turn up to bus station (I'm guessing that's where to go) before 8am and buy the ticket on the day of travel?

#8 wontstayin has been a member since 5/10/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 21/10/2012 at 21:25

Posted from within Vietnam.

Re the last post-generally speaking there should be no problem,but on occasions,i.e public holidays,and during the high season,the bus may be fully booked.I travel this route quite regularly,and a couple of times,I had to wait for the next day,as that days bus was full.I've used both Virak Buntham(usually) and Rith Mony,and not had any issues with either company

#9 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 109
 Website 

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 21/10/2012 at 21:28

Posted from within Vietnam.

Re the last post-generally speaking there should be no problem,but on occasions,i.e public holidays,and during the high season,the bus may be fully booked.I travel this route quite regularly,and a couple of times,I had to wait for the next day,as that days bus was full.I've used both Virak Buntham(usually) and Rith Mony,and not had any issues with either company

#10 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 109
 Website 

Posted by sayadian on 22/10/2012 at 03:10

http://www.koh-kong-cambodia.com/kohkongplaces/paddys-guesthouse.html

The guesthouses will book the tickets for you. I can assure you.You get a receipt which you exchange at the bus station.Some places even provide free transport to the station.
Go see Paddy.He'll sort everything out and he's totally honest.

#11 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by wontstayin on 22/10/2012 at 03:19

@Sayadian: Cheers for the reply. Will follow your advice.

#12 wontstayin has been a member since 5/10/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by amnicoll on 21/11/2012 at 08:30

Hi

There are several buses from KK to sianoukville and there is no need whatsoever to use a guesthouse to book the ticket. each of the bus companies has a stall/office on the main street from the market (going towards the bus station) and you can buy your ticket there the day before and the bus will pick you up from that stall/office

#13 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 616

Posted by amnicoll on 21/11/2012 at 08:30

Hi

There are several buses from KK to sianoukville and there is no need whatsoever to use a guesthouse to book the ticket. each of the bus companies has a stall/office on the main street from the market (going towards the bus station) and you can buy your ticket there the day before and the bus will pick you up from that stall/office

#14 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 616

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.