Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Are there ANY trusted bus companies from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville?

• wontstayin

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

Am heading over to Sihanoukville shortly and wanted to get advice on which bus companies to avoid as there's some horror stories out there. Based on reports from this site, it seems the ones to avoid are:

Rith Mony
    Paramount Angkor Express (sister co.to Rith Mony)
    Virak-Buntham Express Ltd

Can anyone actually recommend which bus to use that won't leave me stranded, take far too long, break down or make me sit on the floor?

Many thanks

#1 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 03:46

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

I've always taken Sorya. It is local, cheap and reliable - based on my experiences the last few years. Comfy seat with air con. Always get the seat that I purchased and have never had to sit on the floor. I've only seen others on the floor one time (picked up mid journey from PP to SR) but no chickens.
    I have never had an issue with safety.

#2 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 22:26

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It's right the OP's list of bus companies have a horrendeous safety record.Saying that the roads of Cambodia will always be dangerous because of dangerous overtaking.(It's hair-raising on a motorbike, believe me)
    I didn't know Sorya did that route and if they do I would agree with Tyler.
    Strangely when I first came to Cambodia they were the worst company for breakdowns, lateness etc but now they seem to have got their act together and are very reliable.
    In 7 years in Cambodia I've never been asked to sit on the floor and all those years ago there was usually only one bus per route which didn't leave until it was full.
    Times have changed for the better.
    The guys on the bus normally carry stools so they can pick up people on route and make an extra buck for themselves but normally these days you get a seat number and their quite strict if someone takes your seat they are told to move.
    As far as breakdowns, as I said Sorya have a decent record but bear in mind nobody services buses in Cambodia and there are plenty of idiots on the road so you'll never be as safe as The West.
    Anyway, sit back and enjoy the scenery coming from Koh Kong. It's a windy road through thick forest.

#3 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 01:01

• wontstayin

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

Many thanks for the advice.

@Tyler: where do you get ticket from? Is there a Sorya ticket office in town or just get it from bus station, before boarding?

Thanks again

PS: Will save the joys of biking til another time Sayadian!!

#4 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 06:17

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If you're in KK look out for Paddy. He's got a bar and guesthouse. Despite the name he is local and very helpful. I would imagine any guesthouse can obtain a ticket for you.

Yeh, motorbiking in Cambodia. :-)

I just love the way you are invisible to the oncoming, overtaking driver. You just have to get onto the dirt or...die!

#5 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 07:03

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey,
    I might have mislead you here - sorry. I can't see a direct route to S'ville from Koh Kong. With Sorya you will probably have to go back to PP.
    I'm interested to know how you end up doing this. Please post again when you arrive.

#6 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 07:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

#7 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 07:37

• wontstayin

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

Do I need to book a bus ticket in advance or can I just turn up to bus station (I'm guessing that's where to go) before 8am and buy the ticket on the day of travel?

#8 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 16:37

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

Re the last post-generally speaking there should be no problem,but on occasions,i.e public holidays,and during the high season,the bus may be fully booked.I travel this route quite regularly,and a couple of times,I had to wait for the next day,as that days bus was full.I've used both Virak Buntham(usually) and Rith Mony,and not had any issues with either company

#9 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 21:25

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

Re the last post-generally speaking there should be no problem,but on occasions,i.e public holidays,and during the high season,the bus may be fully booked.I travel this route quite regularly,and a couple of times,I had to wait for the next day,as that days bus was full.I've used both Virak Buntham(usually) and Rith Mony,and not had any issues with either company

#10 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 21:28

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

http://www.koh-kong-cambodia.com/kohkongplaces/paddys-guesthouse.html

The guesthouses will book the tickets for you. I can assure you.You get a receipt which you exchange at the bus station.Some places even provide free transport to the station.
    Go see Paddy.He'll sort everything out and he's totally honest.

#11 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 03:10

• wontstayin

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

@Sayadian: Cheers for the reply. Will follow your advice.

#12 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 03:19

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Hi

There are several buses from KK to sianoukville and there is no need whatsoever to use a guesthouse to book the ticket. each of the bus companies has a stall/office on the main street from the market (going towards the bus station) and you can buy your ticket there the day before and the bus will pick you up from that stall/office

#13 Posted: 21/11/2012 - 08:30

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Hi

There are several buses from KK to sianoukville and there is no need whatsoever to use a guesthouse to book the ticket. each of the bus companies has a stall/office on the main street from the market (going towards the bus station) and you can buy your ticket there the day before and the bus will pick you up from that stall/office

#14 Posted: 21/11/2012 - 08:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Kong-Sihanoukville ... By viacc65 on 19 Mar 2007 0 1884 19 Mar 2007
Sihanoukville to Ko Kong to Battambang? ... By CoraBora on 5 May 2012 2 2384 23 May 2012
Ko Kong to Sihanoukville by boat? ... By krisim on 16 Nov 2008 2 5098 13 Dec 2009
Koh Kong to Sihanoukville-update ... By TonyL on 24 Aug 2009 1 3675 24 Aug 2009
Ko Kong to Sihanoukville boat suspended ... By somtam2000 on 25 Aug 2008 0 2501 25 Aug 2008