Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Aranyaprathet to Siem Reap

• rong

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2007

What do you advise if I were to reach Aranyaprathet at ard 4pm: should I stay overnight at Aranyaprathet, or cross over to Poipet & take an overnight taxi direct to Siem Reap?

I heard it's public hols in Cambodia from 13-16 May, and I'm not sure how long it'll take to clear the customs @ Cambodia/Vietnam side, considering it's public hols and the public buses from Khao San may have arrived in the evening.

#1 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 02:45

• Advertisement

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

Hey Rong,

See the other post in which you also asked this for my reply.

Rachel

#2 Posted: 13/5/2007 - 01:20

• oisin

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2007

Rachel,

I will be travelling from bangkok to siem reap on 12th or 13th June.

Can I only get my cambodian visa on the border. Is it possible to get one quickly in advance, possibly in bangkok to speed up the crossing?

If I catch a bus at approx 7am to aranyaprathet and taxi from poipet will I be ok for getting to siem reap at a reasonable time.

What time is sunset?? would I make sunset at Angkor Wat on the same day?

#3 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 16:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Oisin,

Yes you can get a visa in advance in Bangkok - you can also get an eVisa.

How to get from Bangkok to Siem Reap lays out trip times etc from Bangkok through to Siem Reap -- in my experience you'd be hardpressed to make sunset at Angkor, given you'd need to find a room etc first, but stranger things have happened.

#4 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 16:59

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

Hi Oisin,

Somtam has filled you in on the visas; you can get one in advance in Bangkok if you are there long enough to do it without going out of your way then this would make things easy for you at the border- I just walk right through whilst others are queueing/haggling/waiting for visas etc. I think that you are guarenteed to get the visa for the $20 fee (perhaps the equivilant in Baht) if you get it in Bangkok though; you will have to be fairly adamant and prepared to wait if you don't want to pay the 1,000B at the border.

If you take a public bus from the Morchit bus station it will take about 4 hours so you will be at the border at about 11am, and this may be busy if the Khao San buses also draw up at the same time. The first buses leave at 4.30am and if the time taken to make the journey makes a big difference to your plans then I would advise leaving a bit earlier than 7am. The border should be much faster this way and if you are delayed you still have some time to play with.

The sun sets around 6pm, but the last tickets for Angkor Wat are sold at 5pm (pay today and pass is valid from tomorrow with tonights sunset viewing for free). Which means leaving your guesthouse to get to the gates by about 4.30pm -in a car, tuk tuk or moto.

A taxi from Poipet to Siem Reap takes 2.5-3 hours at best but due to the (early!) rains the journey is taking about 4 hours...this may change again before your arrival. If you don't have any problems and the border is relatively quiet then I would say leaving on the 7am bus would have you arriving in Siem Reap at about 4-5pm. This is pushing it for the sunset (as Somtam has said). If you leave earlier you could make the sunset but would probably be really tired by this time. Unless you have a really tight schedule I would advise that you relax the first night you get to Siem Reap and then see the temples when you are refreshed the following day.

#5 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 17:55

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

Forgot to add; I hope you have fun! :-)

#6 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 17:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Is there such thing as a mini-bus from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet? (Then to Siem Reap) ... By rustythomson on 12 Nov 2013 3 1005 13 Nov 2013