Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Possible Scam on Bus Journey from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

First I will state we have no full proof evidence that this is how my travel partners camera was stolen but having raked or brains we cant see any other time it could of happened, so I am just writeing this up to make other aware of how it could happen as I hadn't read it anywhere else before

Firstly we were on a Bus from HCMC to PP with Mekong Delta Buses.. but i am assuming this can be done with any other similar style of bus.. and they do constontly remind us they are not responsible for our belongings which is fine but just made us think of the big bags in the hold not the ones inside the bus with us.

Anyway at one point the bus goes on a ferry to cross the Mekong, on this ferry there are a fair few kids up top about the same level as the top of the bus.. once the bus is on they instantly start tapping on the window to get your attention and then start making a gesture as to try and give them food. most people ignored them but a couple did slide the window open at the top of the bus and handed them out the free pack lunch the bus company provided.. This is when we think the theft occurred with the window being slide open the children could put there hands in and rummage through the bags that were stored in the over head shelf. I admit it was my friends fault for leaving something like her camera in the bag but sadly she had.

My only gripe is.. if this is how it happened the bus company must know it happens or at least the bus driver could see it in his wing mirrors.. so they could do more to warn us than just say they are not responsible for our belongings. and before you say i should send this to the bus company I have done and had no response :o anyway rant over.. good day to you all :)

#1 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 09:10

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Welcome to Cambodia.The kids probably took the camera as some will help themselves to anything that isn't watched. It's not only tourists either. If I counted the times I've known Khmer friends getting their motorbikes,phones, jewellery snatched I'd be on here a long time.
    For example, motorbikes are routinely taken into the house at night in Phnom Penh if they weren't they'd be gone in the morning.
    There are a lot of poor people out there.Saying that I don't condone theft.

Why do you call this a scam? It was a straightforward theft which could happen in any country. Do you really think the company were in on it? I very much doubt it.

#2 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 09:40

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

yeah sorry scam is the wrong word.. I was just taken by surprise as we had been pretty good at keeping an eye on our stuff and if we realised that the windows gave access to our bags we wouldnt of put them up there. at least for that section of the journey.. I must add though the rest of the time we were in cambodia.. I did not feel threatened in anyway.. even walking around PP late at night but then we didnt go done many dark narrow streets either.

#3 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 10:12

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'm sorry you lost your camera.Did you report it for insurance purposes? I know the Cambodian police can be pretty useless. Just wondered how much they extorted from you for a crime report :-)
    Phnom Penh is pretty safe these days.Saying that I wouldn't recommend staggering around blind drunk. Most theft is opportunist.

#4 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 10:37

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

hehe she didnt report it.. just took it on the chin and accepted that was the end of that after a few minutes of swearing.

#5 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 12:08

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

"Just took it on the chin and accepted that was the end of that after a few minutes of swearing." - Well done!
    Sucks to have to do that but kudos for the passive reaction. Did you find a suitable replacement in PP?

#6 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 22:36

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Tbh we didnt find electronics much cheaper if at all than home ( uk ) so since we still had my camera and i had been taking most of the photos anyway she just left it till home in the hope that santa is kind to her ;)

What i had been doing was swapping memory cards as well every time we crossed a boarder, that way if my camera went at least i still had some photos of the holiday.. so I ended up manageing to cart 4000+ photos home to bore my friends and family with :P

#7 Posted: 28/10/2012 - 08:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City ... By jobsyjoe on 13 Nov 2011 4 3539 22 Jan 2012
Flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh ... By poofie555 on 9 Sep 2007 1 2890 13 Sep 2007
Taxi from Phnom Penh and Ho Chi Minh City ... By longleat on 5 Mar 2007 0 3989 5 Mar 2007
Journey time from HCM to Phnom Penh ... By simeone_8 on 22 May 2006 2 1601 22 May 2006
Bus scam from Laos to Phnom Penh SORYA TRANSPORT ... By antifa7 on 22 Mar 2013 4 3046 22 Mar 2013
flights from Phnom Penh to HCM City ... By nola on 12 Jul 2007 5 1950 18 Jul 2007
bus from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh after 6 PM? ... By rosevelyn on 9 Feb 2012 0 3268 9 Feb 2012
bus from phnom penh to ho chi minh ... By santsingh on 29 Aug 2006 1 3738 29 Aug 2006
Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh ... By daniel4 on 5 Jun 2011 2 4970 15 Jun 2011
Phnom Penh or Ho Chi Minh???? ... By convery on 12 Mar 2008 4 5721 8 May 2008