Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Thailand-Cambodia by backpack

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

I am travelling to a backpack tour with my friends toThailand-Cambodia in Nov for 3 weeks, and now we are working on our itinerary.
    The first version of our itinerary is the following.
    Bangkok-Kanchanaburi-Ayutthaya-Bangkok-Krabi-Phiphi island-Bangkok-Siemreap-Phnompen-Sihanoukville-Koh Rong Island-Sihanoukville-Bangkok.
    Could you recommend me the best option for travelling inside in Cambodia?
    And is there anybody who travelling in the same route inthat period?

Also, any advise appreciated . :-)

Thanks

#1 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 05:25

• Advertisement

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

We used buses for most of our journeys in Cambodia.. $12 from PP to Siem reap for example.. for going from Siem Reap to Bangkok we booked ourselves a taxi with a tour company in SR $110 total.. one taxi picked us up from hotel to boarder and then another from boarder to our hotel in Bangkok. it was our last splurge before heading home but we did find it made a huge difference to time on the road.. so if you can afford it all the better. + the taxi will stop where ever you want for no extra cost.

#2 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 13:53

• pootle

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hey!

I'm heading to Bangkok on 11 Nov and plan to travel to Cambodia and do similar route to the one you mention. I see you're off round Thailand first, so timings might not be right, but let me know...

Cheers
    Adele

#3 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 07:03

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

Hi Adele,

sounds great. :-)
    and what is your route plan?
    have u got a private mail?

Cheers,
    Mate

#4 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 07:34

• pootle

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I haven't totally figured out my route plan (only booked my flight on Sat!) so working on that, but basically Bangkok to Siam Reap and on to Phnom Penh and down to the coast... I land on 11 Nov, so thinking of heading off from Bangkok on 12 Nov...

I've enabled my private mail now, so drop me a message if you might be around the same time...

#5 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 11:46

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Jmo but your trip seems like it would be bordering on hectic, will have to make sure you make all your bus times, border times etc.

Your trip from Bangkok to Siem Reap and then back from Sihanoukville alone are going to be 2 full days of just travel from what I have seen and can only really be done by day bus unless you can afford expensive flights. Siem Reap to Phnom Penh can be done by boat or bus but again will use up roughly a half day. The rest of Cambodia is pretty much by bus and then taxi/motor bikes once you get to your destination from what I have seen.

To have a comfortable trip to Cambodia and back and to see the locations you posted I would think you would want a good 10-12 days(1 day bus to Siem Reap, 2 days seeing the sights, 1 day trip to Phnom Penh then looking around, 1 or 2 days seeing other sights in/around Phnom Penh, 2 days travel to Sihanoukville and looking around then over to Koh Rong, 2-3 days relaxing there then probably 1 day and a bit to get back to Bangkok). As you can see all it takes is one bad day(miss bus time or don't get to border on time etc) and then you will be quite rushed. And since I am guessing you are flying out of Bangkok I would definitely be aiming to be back there a day if not 2 before your flight in case of any setbacks. So right there you have already imo limited your initial Thailand time to less then 10 days.

Your time in Thailand is a little more forgiving based on only having the one long trip down to Krabi and back but that can be done via a night train and bus so you only lose a part day travel each way. As such your plan will work as long as you are only thinking of spending a day at some locations and 2-3 at a couple.

Fyi I have found Seat61 to be a great site for figuring out how to get around in each of these countries.

#6 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 15:51

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

Thanks for your opinion/suggestion Geer1. It is very useful. yes u are right, that traveling takes a lot of time. obviously, we need to recalculate our route because of that. Firstly we found that way, because traveling by plane is not very cheap. do u know any low cost airline inside in Cambodia or in Thailand?

Pootle: Unfortunately I could not write any private message. [img]smileys/frown.gif[/img] (i am a new user here so i am not very familiar that how i can write a message. [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] )

#7 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 16:26

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

To use PM's you have to go to member center, edit profile then find the message option and enable it.

As for your trip if you are limited to your 3 weeks then I would just modify your route slightly. You could even go and plan on doing your current trip but just have a backup shortened version you would be happy with if you decide to spend an extra day somewhere or something like that.

What I personally would do is either cut out Koh Rong or the trip to Krabi/ Ko Phi Phi (and imo I would cut out Ko Phi Phi). Either way this will save you 2-3+ days depending how long your plans were for and you will still have some beach time as well.

The benefits of cutting Ko Phi Phi are less travel costs and a lot less time travelling even though most of it would be night travel(if take bus/train). Bangkok to Ko Phi Phi and back is going to be like 30 hours of just travelling unless you take a plane. Airasia does have cheap flights for this leg which would probably be worth it if you are only going to go down there for a handful of days.

If you cut out Koh Rong you should still have time to see Sihanoukville, Kampot or somewhere else for a couple days before heading back to Bangkok. It would give you a decent taste of Cambodia and cut it down to 8 or 9 days.

Another way to save time would be to cut out either Kanchanaburi or Ayutthaya depending on how important these are to you. Or just make sure you don't spend too much time in Bangkok. It all really comes down to personal preference. Like I say I would just make sure you have a backup plan in case things are feeling too rushed or you find some place you want to stay longer.

#8 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 17:18

• pootle

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I think you must have to enable your private messaging to be able to send me one... I'm a newbie too so not that sure about it all either!

#9 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 17:43

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

Thanks, I think now I can write a private message, because changed the option to enable. :-)

Yes Geer, we need to plan a backup plan as well. I will check the opportunity of air lines, because with that we can save a lot of time. I read a lot of very good review about Ko Phi phi, so i think we would not like to skip that part of our trip, but maybe we can stay shorter time in Bangkok.
    Firstly, we thought that 3 weeks is enough, but now I can see that 3 weeks are nothing for these countries.

#10 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 00:26

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Tell me about it. I am starting my trip next week and heading through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. In total I have 3 months of travel set aside and already I find myself having to pick and choose what to do.

#11 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 10:22

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

3 months? not bad. :-)

Which part of Thailand and Cambodia will u visit?
    Have you booked any accommodation?

#12 Posted: 7/11/2012 - 05:46

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I am actually gone almost 4 months but 1 month is volunteering. In my first 3 weeks I will be vacationing in Thailand, Bangkok-Koh Phayam-Khao Sok-Phuket-Chiang Mai then head over to Chiang Rai for my 1 month volunteering.

Laos I haven't figured out exactly yet but direction will be Huay Xai to Luang Prabang then down to Vang Vieng and Vientiane before entering Thailand again. Back in Thailand just spend a few days travelling down Isaan Thailand towards Cambodia.

In Cambodia I have a similar itinerary as yours, first going to see Preah Vihear then Angkor Wat/Siem Reap, boat to Phnom Penh, then Kampot or Sihanoukville maybe something else depending on how long I take.

Head into Vietnam via the mekong delta and then head over to Saigon. Then up the coast of Vietnam till I finish in Hanoi.

Rough durations are as follows

Thailand - 3 weeks
    Volunteer - 4 weeks
    Laos - 2 weeks
    Isaan Thailand - 1 week
    Cambodia - 2 weeks
    Vietnam - 4 weeks

My first bit in Thailand is pretty set but after that I have lots of room to adjust things and can trim days or add days to any of the countries.

Only accommodation I have booked so far is Nov 15 - Nov 19 in Bangkok. I already found the place I will be staying in Koh Phayam as well but haven't figured out the duration exactly. Will be figuring the rest out as I go since it is only a rough itinerary.

#13 Posted: 7/11/2012 - 10:56

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

Yapp. it sound great. :-)
    u will have a very good journey.

Now we talk about that we will cut the back trip accross Koh rong and I hope that i will find a chap air fare ticket

Pootle: how many weeks will u spend in Cambodia? have u found any accomodation?

I have tried to write a message, but i could not find how could I do that. could u help me?

#14 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 15:26

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

It looks as if both yourself and pootle still have private messages turned off. You will have to both follow the steps in top of post #8.

#15 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 16:10

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

Thanks Geer.

i have checked it and it is enabled.
    never mond. :-)

Hvae u got any informartion or any experience about the Air asia?

#16 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 16:21

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

No experience, yet. I am flying with them from Phuket to Chiang Mai and then again from Hanoi to Bangkok during my trip.

Their flights are cheap, it sounds like they can be easily delayed(especially afternoon flights) and you will have to pay for seat selection, baggage etc on top of ticket price(so add around $15).

As for private messaging. I don't get an option for it. Maybe because I forgot to mention to set your profile to public. Link below has more info.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/aboutus/10489_private-messaging-on-travelfish

#17 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 16:37

• pootle

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I'll have about 12 days as only two weeks off work, wish it was more!! No accommodation sorted yet... What's your plan?

I've made my profile public so hopefully PM will be possible now...

#18 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 17:11

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Yup, Pootles PM button is there now. Backpacker just make yours public as well.

#19 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 17:59

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

i have changed my profile to public, so i hope it will be ok.

we have not got any accomodation yet. :-)

#20 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 20:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.