Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Leigh from Vietnam to Cambodia to Laos

• LeighA

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2007

Hi,
    am travelling to Cambodia and Laos in late August/Sept, solo after 2 weeks in Vwith family. What's the best way to get to Cambodia (either SR or PP) from HCMC?
    How long does it take to PP? To SR? I only have about a week, so should I bother with PP at all or go straight to SR?
    Is the Paske and Island region in sth laos worth a visit - am especially interested in the dolphins. What are the roads like to travel on - will have about three weeks for Laos and want to do as much as poss, including the plain of jars, but leaving about 5 days to chill in LP for a bit. What's the weather like for both countries and Vietnam around this time? Anyone heard of a gibbon nature park in the north where you live in tree houses? Worth a visit? Am an animal wildlife enthusiast - any special suggestions. Is VV really worth a stop given time constraints?
    What about flights in Laos - are they safe and are they reliable? Thanks heaps in advance for any tips.

#1 Posted: 13/5/2007 - 20:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi LeighA,

Easiest way from Saigon to Phnom Penh is by bus. Price ranges from US$6-12 depending on the bus company and takes the best part of a day. Onwards to Siem Reap by bus is about 4 hours.

If you're coming overland from Saigon anyways, you'll have to at least overnight in Phnom Penh, and if you're not planning on going anywhere else in Cambodia other than Siem reap, then I'd allow another night in Phnom Penh.

To get to Kratie from Phnom Penh takes 5-6 hours, having seen the dolphins, I'd say they're worth stopping at if you're heading up to cross into laos that way, but otherwise are pretty missable.

There's a lot about the Gibbon Experience already on the messageboard - this search should show you a number of the threads about it

Trunk routes in laos with Lao Airlines are fine.

Hope that helps & glad you got the log in sorted!

#2 Posted: 14/5/2007 - 12:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.