Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

SR-->PP-->HCMC, when to fly?

• mjbrennan

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

Hi all-

Making the trip from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City in early January 2013.

Current itinerary calls for three nights in SR, two nights in Phnom Penh, one night in Chau Doc (after taking a boat down the Mekong) and one night in HCMC before we leave for Con Dao.

My question: Clearly this is a lot of bus/boat traveling. If you had to pick, would you fly the SR-->PP route or the PP--->HCMC route? This trip will be the week after the new year.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 24/11/2012 - 09:19

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm not sure either leg warrants a flight, however if time is critical....

The 5-6 hour busride from SR to PP is an OK bus-ride. Buses are decent (if you don't mind the crap videos that play at full volume), and the scenery is enjoyable along the way. If you were to fly, I'd imagine it wouldn't save you much time overall (2 hours?) by the time you wait around, check in, travel to/from airport, etc.

The boat ride from PP to Chau Doc is a pleasant enough one, but again, you're going to spend time on a boat one day (5 hours by memory), and then another few hours by bus the next day to HCMC. Add in the 'waiting around' and check in/out time.

If you're going to fly one leg, I guess the most practical is to fly from PP to HCMC - and spend the extra night in SR, PP or HCMC.

If it were me, I'd opt for overlanding both legs, even with the limited time as I don't believe the times savings would be substantial in the long run, and you're seeing part of the country as you go. And of course, you'll save the airfare although this may not be an important consideration for you.

#2 Posted: 24/11/2012 - 18:31

• mjbrennan

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

Thanks for the advice. My biggest dilemma is now the PP-SGN route because I need to catch a flight to Con Dao at 0555 from SGN. Is the route PP--> Chau Doc --->SGN in one night reliable? would you recommend staying in Chau doc over spending the whole day in SGN (i.e. just going straight PP--->SGN.)

Basically, Is the overnight in Chau Doc worth it, or is the scenery on the boat trip down the highlight?

#3 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 10:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.