Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Golden Sorya Mall, st 51, Phnom Penh lynch mobs regularly attack foreigners

• breezy7

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2012

In the early hours of last Friday 23, November, I saw a copy cat possibly fatal attack on a foreigner by a mob of men in the Golden Sorya Mall, st 51 opposite the Hart of Darkness Phnom Penh. In November 2011 and January 2012 I witnessed 2 attacks, one on a British man and one on an African. And in The Cambodia Daily around this time I read of a British man who had been beaten to death by these scumbags at the same location. On both occasions I witnessed before a Vietnamese ladyboy had accused an obviously innocent man of assaulting her and then a huge lynch mob of Cambodian street men (of Vietnamese descent) and security guards had basically chased the terrified men in order to beat them to death and rob him.
    Last Friday the same thing happened. A Vietnamese Ladyboy had accused a foreign man maybe of Spanish or Italian origin of assaulting her. He acted totally innocent asking what was wrong putting his hands in the air, I doubt if he had even seen her before. It was the behaviour of the Mall security guards that was so shocking. Obviously a set up, the security guards immediately took the side of the LB pointing extremely aggressively at him. 10 or more security guards then armed with truncheons chased the terrified man to the back of the Mall towards the Car Park, it was clear that they were going to at least severely beat him up.
    SECURITY GUARDS they are supposed to protect the Mall's customers who are mostly foreign. They are NOT SUPPOSED TO BEAT THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF FOREIGNERS FOR FUN!!!
    I would advise fellow foreigners not to give their business to the Cambodian owners of The Golden Sorya Mall and stay away until they can give us adequate protection and punish the scumbags who are doing these serious crimes against us.

#1 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 06:15

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

this sounds serious. is there anyone who can independently verify this story? i ask because breezy's only other post was an inflammatory racist rant against cambodians, which i'm afraid makes me a bit skeptical...

#2 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 14:00

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

A quick search on 'Golden Sorya Mall' (and variations of it) in the Cambodia Daily doesn't return any results. Can you give more info or links?

As exacto points out, this is a serious accusation. Your only other post on TF indicates that maybe you've just generally got a problem with Cambodians, perhaps?
    A google search has come up with similar posts on another forum which I suspect were also made by breezy: here and here. (These are the only two posts made by that poster, too, and a similar writing style).

Other than references to your posts, nothing came up that was officially reported on a news site anywhere. Benefit of the doubt would suggest that maybe the Cambodians don't want it reported. But it's interesting that I can't find ANY other references to these attacks.

#3 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 15:54

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

busylizzy, thanks for taking the time to research this post. Great questions and links.

The dude must have had one horrible time in Cambodia - surprising though - as he mentions some truly hard to reach places like S'ville (previous post), the mall in PP, the car park and The Heart of Darkness...

Usually locals in such rarely visited places are welcoming to the few travellers they see...

No mention in Khmer440 or the PP post either... Calling bullshit...and hatred on this loser...

#4 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 19:58

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It sounds a bit far fetched.Most of those little outdoor bars in the Mall are usually peaceful and are just pick up joints for freelancers.Most of the heavy stuff that goes on there is between meth-heads-screaming and fighting in the street sometimes. No doubt in my mind it's not the nicest part of PP. but if this happened it would be all over the newspapers. So unless more information emerges I'm sceptical.

#5 Posted: 30/11/2012 - 08:53

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

There's another of these strange posts on www.khmer440.com today. Have a look at.
    'Assaulted by police behind palace.'
    Weird. He claims he offered the police $100 to rescue him from two small dogs.
    Somebody is spending a lot of time and effort attacking Cambodia.

#6 Posted: 6/12/2012 - 04:10

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Benefit of the agnosticism would advance that maybe the Cambodians don't wish it reported. But it's absorbing that I can't acquisition ANY added references to these attacks.

#7 Posted: 10/12/2012 - 09:14

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

On none of my trips to Cambodia have I witnessed, heard of, or read about any such thing as Breezy7 purports to have seen. As Sayadian notes, there are drugged out people who cause disturbances, and god knows there are numerous outbreaks of violent stupidity in some of the many bars in Phnom Penh. But a lynch mob, instigated by a Viet-Khmer ladyboy? Hard to believe, but happy to be corrected --- if it's true.

#8 Posted: 15/12/2012 - 17:11

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

The ayes have it. It's a fake.

#9 Posted: 16/12/2012 - 01:33

• taorathey

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2012

"A Vietnamese Lady boy had accused a foreign man maybe of Spanish or Italian origin of assaulting her" Sounds more like an out take from a Fellini film to me.

#10 Posted: 7/1/2013 - 23:21

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

This person is back. Take a look at this posting on Khmer440.
    Is there anybody who can verify or as even heard of this attack?
    ttp://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28160

#11 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 16:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

He (breezy7 / socket / bookspring) is a wacko with some big issues.

#12 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 16:50

• Gill50

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

@breezy 7

I'm in PP this very minute. I hope you're not here 'cause you appear to walk right into 'situations'!!!

This is my first time backpacking - albeit, I'm not staying in hostels as good hotels charge £15 a night. I can't buy a decent meal in the UK for £15!!

Now.....I'm no expert, but Ladyboys are similar to prostiutes in the UK; they go out vying for trade and if anyone messes with them, their 'pimps' jump into action to protect their livelihoods. It's all one big scam and if a man want to go off with a Ladyboy and then gets upset at the price being charged for the 'service', he's only got himself to blame!!

I'm use to travelling on my own but for people out there that aren't, you've just put the proverbial poo up them!!
    If people aren't responsible enough to stay out of areas they're not meant to be in, they deserve everything they get! Harsh I know, but I'm having the common sense - I didn't need a degree to get common sense by the way - to not go walking around in areas that don't look 'right'.
    If it doesn't feel right, that's instinct/your inner voice telling you; you shouldn't be there!!

At least once or twice a year I hear of a backpacker who gets raped/attacked/murdered whilst 'taking a gap year to find themselves'!! IF they had parents with any common sense - there really should be a degree for having children - they should be telling their kids to finish their studies, get a job and then they can go 'find themselves' with their own money!!
    There must be millions of people backpacking every year and you're telling me that the ones who end up getting into 'difficulty' were in a safe area or a safe environment?!!!!

Just saying......!

#13 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 09:17

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

I'm with Busylizzy on this: the guy is a total whack job. Whatever his agenda is, it's pretty clearly not reality-based.

#14 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 23:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Aeon Mall comes to Phnom Penh ... By sambrown on 13 Jul 2014 0 389 13 Jul 2014
Bus scam from Laos to Phnom Penh SORYA TRANSPORT ... By antifa7 on 22 Mar 2013 4 2882 22 Mar 2013
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1284 2 Mar 2014