Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia Islands (Gulf of Kompong Som) or SE Thailand Islands?

• pucca_girl45

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2012

Hi,
    We are going to be traveling in SEA for the month of January and would like to do some island hopping for 1.5 weeks roughly. We would like our island experience to include relaxing and quiet atmosphere with enough accommodations to be comfortable but away from the party scenes and heavily developed tourist places. Is this possible? What's the difference between islands off the coast of Cambodia like Koh Rong and islands off the coast of Thailand like Ko Phi Phi? It's my assumption that the Cambodia islands are more rustic and remote and difficult to get to but might attract fewer young tourists than the islands on the Andaman Sea side of Thailand.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated?

Pucca

#1 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 23:32

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'll be going to South Cambodia and the islands in mid Feb. They will certainly be less touristy than the Thai islands, but transport, especially to Koh Rong is certainly not a problem.

You may also want to take a look at Koh Lanta on the Andaman side

What would be your concern about "attracking fewer young tourists" ? I would imagine that the younger the tourist, the more of a party scene there would be.

#2 Posted: 5/12/2012 - 10:33

• SvenskaSynn-
    e88

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2012

Koh Rong is perfect!!! The other islands you are talking about are full of holidayers that just want to get drunk and make trouble, or they are 100% resort beaches! Koh Rong is only some wood bungalows and a small fishing village, and the people are amazing and you are friends with everyone in 3 days. I just stayed so long i can not see Angkor Wat because i never want to leave Koh Rong when now is so perfect. Angkor Wat will not change, but Koh Rong will be overtook by business and resort as soon as they know it is more beautiful than Thailand. Now there is only 150 tourist bed, but Thailand is 150 hotels on all the islands!

I am only talking so excited because it will be ruined in not many years and now you have a chance to see and not waste your time on Thailand tourism that is sooo expensive!

go go go! :)

#3 Posted: 26/12/2012 - 09:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand Islands ... By TheGoose on 9 Feb 2009 1 3742 10 Feb 2009
Islands: Gulf vs. Andaman Sea ... By Tetso on 17 Jan 2014 4 1512 19 Jan 2014
July-Aug Trip to the Gulf Islands ... By Trizzo on 28 May 2013 0 1012 28 May 2013
THAILAND: Jungle and islands - Islands and more islands ... By Johncattle on 6 Jan 2011 8 3015 8 Jan 2011
Gili Islands, Perenhian Islands, Yucatan or Golf of Thailand ... By travelinchen on 6 May 2011 4 2711 7 May 2011
Thailand, islands, and Cambodia June/July 09 ... By jazzabelle on 31 Mar 2009 6 4669 14 May 2009
Travel options across from Thailand Islands to Cambodia ... By blakemore88 on 5 May 2011 4 3211 6 May 2011
30 day trip to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand (the islands) ... By littlelau on 8 May 2006 2 4047 8 May 2006
SE Asia Budget - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thai Islands ... By lauraandmark on 4 Sep 2008 3 6160 21 Sep 2009
CHRISTMAS HONEYMOON ON THAI ISLANDS WHICH ISLANDS DO YOU RECOMMEND ... By Warriorcandy on 1 Dec 2011 1 1103 4 Dec 2011