Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia queries - advice needed

• eagerbeaver

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2007

Hey, I’m travelling to Cambodia in June and have a few queries. I’d appreciate any advice:

1) Where is the cheapest place to get a Vietnamese visa in Cambodia? How much does the visa cost and how long does it take to get done?

2) Do you have to book inter-city bus tickets (eg: G.S.T Express Bus Service, Phnom Penh Sorya Transport Company bus tickets) a day in advance or is it ok to just turn up at the bus company’s bus stop and simply purchase tickets for travel that same day?

3) Has anyone taken the road to Sen Monorem, Modulriki province in June or any other month of the wet season? What is the condition of the road like and how long does it take to get there from Phnom Penh? Would you recommend visiting this part of Cambodia? (we haven’t got enough time to head to Ratanakiri province)

4) I really can’t decide whether to purchase the 1 day or 3 day pass to the Angkor Wat temples. Which would you recommend?

5) It seems that many Vietnamese tour companies (eg: Sinh Café) offer very reasonably priced 3day/2night trips from Saigon, Vietnam to Phnom Penh, Cambodia via the Mekong Delta.

Does anyone else know of where I can book a similar tour in Cambodia, which runs in the opposite direction? – ie: from Phnom Penh, Cambodia TO Saigon, Vietnam via the Mekong Delta.

6) Has anyone taken the boat from Siem Reap to Battambang? Is this recommended over travel by bus?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

#1 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 05:48

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1) Vietnamese visa

Cheapest place is Sihanoukville. There is a post about it here.

2) Bus tickets

You can just show up on the day, but if it's convenient there's no harm in buying the ticket the day before.

3) Road to Sen Monorm

I've done it a couple of times, but never in the height of wet season. Surface can get pretty patchy and badly rutted, but rarely impassable. From Phnom Penh to Sen Monorom somewhere between 6 and 12 hours. It is an interesting part of Cambodia, but if you have time for one or the other, Rattanakiri is the better choice. There's more to do and see and the tourism infrastructure is a bit better developed there.

4) Angkor Pass
    3 days.

5) Delta tours ex Phnom Penh.
    Any travel agent in Phnom Penh will be able to sort you out with one of these. Would suggest taking an option with overnight stops in at least Chau Doc and Can Tho. Note, this is also easily done without a tour, if you'd prefer to do it that way.

6) Boat from Siem Reap to Battambang
    If the waters are high it is a great trip -- very very beautiful. if waters low, not so hot -- boats freqently run aground. If you're there in June I'd say give it a go.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 18:09

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi eagerbeaver.

1) The cheapest place to get a Vietnam Visa is from the travel agents around Lakeside (Boeng Kak Lake -backpacker area) of Phnom Penh. It costs USD $30 for one day service. I got mine done through World Wide Travel agent next to Simon's 2 Guesthouse. I checked with all other agents and they do for the same price.

2) I would recommend that you book the PP to HMC bus ticket the day before travel. I just arrived in HMC having taken the An Phu tourist bus. The bus was clean and the AC worked and only cost USD $8 compared $12 for Mekong Express. I would advise that you avoid Phnom Penh Sorya Transport Company buses. Why? The buses are old, no AC on the bus from Battanbang to PP and they play annoying karokee music at full blast.

3) Sorry, I haven't been there.

4) I would highly recommend that you get a 3 day Angkor Wat pass. Do not miss out on seeing Beng Melena which is about 1.5 hour from SR. It's worth the time and money to get there. To rent a tuk-tuk for the day at Angor Wat is USD $10 per day.

5) I didn't see anything like that in PP.

6) A week ago, I decided to take a mini van from SR to Battanbang instead of the speed boat becuase the water was very shallow and dangerous. The Khmers (Cambodians) told me their has been a few accidents on this boat trip recently.

Ernie

#3 Posted: 22/5/2007 - 20:21

• eagerbeaver

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2007

Thanks for your help ernieh and somtam2000!

#4 Posted: 23/5/2007 - 01:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam queries - advice needed ... By eagerbeaver on 21 May 2007 1 1849 21 May 2007
Itinerary advice needed 22days Laos&Cambodia ... By kif on 21 Oct 2010 15 2745 25 Oct 2010
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3230 31 Oct 2010
Thailand, laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali - 6 months (Jan 2014) Advice needed ... By lewism05 on 15 May 2013 5 3551 21 Oct 2013
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 20121 6 Mar 2011
Advice needed...Bangkok, Chang Mai, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, southern Thai islands... ... By sunshine87 on 24 Jun 2008 41 12421 15 Jul 2008