Koh Rong vs. Koh Tonsay

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Pretty much says it all - which do you think, we'll have relaxed in Battambang, and Kampot for a few days and eventually heading over to Ha Tien . . . so was considering Koh Tansay, but Stu has been touting Koh Rong so much, I think I could be wrong (GET IT!) on passing it up. Anyone with experiences of both places. I guess the biggest issue is we'd have to go round about as there isn't that direct a way from Koh Rong to Koh Tansay.

Any thoughts are welcome.

#1 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 01:22

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Like you, I've only been to Koh Tonsay and you're correct there is no boat between the two. Talking to people who have been to Koh Rong (the couple who I did the bike trip with had just come from there) it sounds pretty bloody nice...

BUT

Considering just about everyone is pushing it, you'll probable have a quieter stay on Tonsay.

Hard call ... got time for both? ;-)

#2 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 01:32

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm going to do both I think... but Koh Rong is apparently much nicer.

#3 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 06:49

• ericgsmith

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2012
    Location New Zealand

http://www.bemytravelmuse.com/koh-rong-photos/

Looks like either is amazing. I'll be heading to Koh Rong in March.

#4 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 18:27

• SvenskaSynn-
    e88

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2012

I have travelled to both islands and there is only one choice, Koh Rong is at the best stage of development an island could be. Comforts and socalisation if you want this, or go for a walk and you are on untouchable beaches in 25 min or 1 hour by yourself only with the people you walked with. It is the freedom life but you can not ever leave! Many places to stay in the village that is not on the internet.

Koh Tonsay is very nice and the seafood is the best thing, but it is not as beautiful. It is more quiet but Koh Rong is quiet too if you want.

I am jealous you are going soon! :) :)

#5 Posted: 26/12/2012 - 09:05

• DannyPoy85

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2012

I'm not sure about Koh Tonsay, but i couldnt have had a better time than what i had on Koh Rong. Go now because it might only be another year or 2 before the big resorts kick off the bungalows. Monkey island bungalows if you're lucky enough to get a booking, Bunna's or Franks if you havent booked ahead. Say hi to Bunna, Leta and Jamie if you go to Bunna's!

#6 Posted: 26/12/2012 - 10:01

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Koh Tonsay is great for a day trip or if you're limited on time, and it's a little bit cheaper on accomodation and boat trip costs. But the effort to get to Koh Rong means you get white coral sand and that feeling of being away from the mainland. If you have the time, I'd recommend it.

Just remember to take insect repellent - the downside of untouched beaches is plenty of sand flies!

#7 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 01:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.