Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Speedboat hire Sihanoukville

• Wineman

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2012

We're in Sihanoukville for 6 days and want some freedom to explore the islands. Does anyone know if speedboats or inflatables an be hired by the day? If so, what cost and from where? Any advice on best places to visit by private boat? Thanks...

#1 Posted: 31/12/2012 - 18:30

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I don't know about speed boats, there weren't any on Ocheteal beach up to September. Maybe Victory beach?
    You can easily negotiate with a local boat owner to hire his boat for the day. He will then crew it for you.If you can afford speed boat hire I doubt whether the negotiated price will be too expensive. Earnings are low in Cambodia but gasoline IS expensive. Ask at one of the restaurants on Ocheteal beach, they'll help you. Be aware that taking out a boat on your own can be dangerous as these seas are notorious for throwing up sudden squalls even in the cool season.

#2 Posted: 1/1/2013 - 02:50

• Wineman

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2012

Thanks Sayadian. Been reading your commentary back to 2008 so I'm going to plead to your knowledge again and ask another question. Not planning on staying in Sihanoukville too long but maybe on the islands. Do you recommend Paradise bungalows in March and should I pre book? We're not into all night parties as long as I have access to unlimited wine supply and perfect beaches. Also, is hiring a motorbike in Sooky courting disaster? What about 1 day motorbike excursions where the roads aren't crazy?

#3 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 17:04

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I will be down in Sihanoukville in a couple of days so I will be able to get you a better answer re:speedboats.
    I couldn't comment on Paradise bungalows as I've never stayed there.
    Hiring a motorbike is a great idea and gives you freedom and flexibility. The highway system around there is fairly straightforward and routes are clearly signed. You are in Vietnam so you should have a good idea of what to expect, though I think the Khmer are a little more considerate. Anyway I'll assume you've never driven a bike in Asia so my advice is take nothing for granted. Drivers do the most unexpected things at the most unexpected time. Stay safe.

#4 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 20:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.