Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Travlling in Wet Season

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

As I have no choice I will be heading to Cambodia, Laos and Thailand between June and September, the Wet Season. I expect it to be slow going due to rain, mud etc but is it still doable. No set itinery hope to do a bit of travel by boat, cycle and motor cycle. Want to see the country so really dont want to fly from place to place.. Any advice would be appreciated.. And I know it is probably not the best time to go..

#1 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 00:45

• Advertisement

• Ova

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2012

Don't worry. September is still a fine time to travel in Cambodia. You'll often get strong rain in the evening, but it won't stop you from enjoying the country. The only risk is floods. If it happens while you're here, well. You'll have to get somewhere dryer in SEA :)

#2 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 01:02

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Thank you for your quick reply.. I will however be in Cambodia for most of June and a bit of July, Then Laos July to 1st week of August and so on to Thailand. Expecting to get wet :-( Just hoping to still be able to get around.. Anyway thanks for the prompt reply.. Will remember the advice about the SEA :-)

#3 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 01:09

• travellingp-
    oul

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

i'm planning to go to cambodia june for 2-3 weeks. Looking for a travel buddy? :)

#4 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 13:33

• hippie

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2013

Cambodia, well travel there can be interesting they love the US dollar, Train travelling is interesting ,sitting on top on the train car in the sun and fresh air since inside is so crowded even a sardine would feel cramped, At least view is nice but beware fore warned don,t take side trips to explore jungle that is not advised due to unexploded bombs ,landmines, bobbytraps and handgernades. But people there still try to collect the metal. Now food watch what you eat you will notice the lack of stray cats and dogs. Bugs also are on there diet, But rest assured there are fish, but also they do do there duty thru a hole in the floor which happens to be over the water they fish.

#5 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 20:19

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Thank you Hippie forwarned is forarmed.. I did not think there were any passenger train services in Cambodia. Where were you travelling from --- to?

#6 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 21:17

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Hi Travellingp-oul, I have no set plans or itineray, am just intending to go with the flow and see what happens so maybe having a travelling buddy would not work out, but I do appreciate the offer. Maybe we will bump into each other...

#7 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 21:21

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

There are plenty of cats and dogs wandering about in Cambodia! Of course, some people eat them, but usually it's an economic choice and I'd be surprised if find them on a menu. Generally the diet is pork, beef, chicken with bones, fish, seafood and an array of vegetables you may not have seen before. Plus lashings of fish sauce, of course! And everything is served with rice. Deep fried tarantulas, crickets and grasshoppers tend to be nibbles with beer.

In June/July in Cambodia, it is unlikely to rain every day and due to the heat, you'll be grateful when it does pour down! Sure, dirt roads will be muddier in the countryside and there may be some roads that are difficult on a motorbike, but it really won't affect your enjoyment.

Try a motorbike trek in Mondulkiri, or travel the road between Ban Lung in Ratanakiri and Sen Monorom in Mondulkiri - less tourists, lots of jungle, an experience!

#8 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 22:01

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Thanks, AbigailatPenhandInk

Am looking forward to the different foods, why else travel if you dont experiment :-) Will have a look at the road trips you have mentioned.. Tks.

#9 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 22:18

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Hi, travellingpoul,
    Sorry if I sounded a bit short, with your offer, its just that I am probably a bit older than the usual single traveller. Have still got plenty of energy but you may have thought me younger than I am... I hope you have a great trip..

Regards Jeeeebus

#10 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 04:06

• Advertisement

• hippie

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2013

Yep there are still take train Saim reap To phom nam phen or try the boat that can be different the lake route is is an adventure, But women there way different than Thailand, Either way travelling is awesome fun meeting new people chasing young women eating weird new food, But I draw the line at live monkey brains and cobra blood, and other exotic meats lol. chicken and fish only.

#11 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 18:05

• hippie

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2013

Lol hell I'm 61 and just getting started in my exploring There maybe snow on the roof but there is still a fire down below But if the old log needs help there is always Thailand Pharmacy and Kamagra That will give you a stiff upper lip or there about. You can always get any medicine you need in asia just go to any pharmacy and ask by name even without script. But above all there are lots of us older folks out here travelling most are cool but as anywhere beware of the knuckleheads and obey local laws and all will be good. Well time to check the Embassy site for warning about those crazy taliwaggers Muslims. Fore warned is being mindful that I'm not in Kanas anymore. Take care and enjoy life is for living.

#12 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 18:19

• jeeeebus

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2011

Thanks for all your advice Hippie, but am just going to meet the locals, not interested in sleeping with them.. Enjoy your travels

#13 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 18:25

• hippie

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2013

Oh you might want to have salt tablets.advil.and lopermide to help you incase of need. You never know how you will react to the food I also myself take a couple bottles of gatorade one of which I freeze before hitting the road out travelling comes in handy. But myself love chatting with locals being based in Bangkok makes travel easy and cheaper besides nice to have place to rest up after exploring. Well good luck on your trip enjoy the sites which are many.

#14 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 19:34

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I like rainy season. Everything is greener...

And there are no trains in Siem Reap. That's crazy talk.

#15 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 20:36

• hippie

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2013

well it was a long time since I was there sorry

#16 Posted: 20/1/2013 - 20:51

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Well Either way traveling is alarming fun affair new humans block adolescent women bistro awe-inspiring new food, But I draw the band at reside monkey accuracy and cobra blood, and added alien meats lol. craven and angle only.

#17 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 09:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.