Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Last chance to tell me what is the what - (Cambodia trip waging the tail of The Delta)

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey all,

So - off to Cambodia for a few moments this February 2nd - via HCMC and back around through the Delta. Anyone with recommended accommodation spots in Phnom Penh, Battambang, Kampot or Kep are most welcome to offer names. Any side trips from said locations or otherwise useful thoughts would be appreciated. Simply if you'd like to share a quiet and/or exciting day trip from any of these locations - be it temple walk or motorbike to waterfall or simply a fantastic place to sit down with a book and a cold beer I'd be much obliged - especially for any names of locations with porches and river views.

Casey

#1 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 09:19

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'll be doing these places in March :)

#2 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 09:22

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Hey Casey,

Bodhi Villa in Kampot is a great place to stay. It's run (or at least it was two and a bit years ago) by an Aussie and his Cambodian wife. It's a little bit outside Kampot town but still only 50c / 2,000 riels on a tuk tuk. You can hire a motorbike through the guest house and then zip over to Kep for lunch each day and do a few side trips to pepper plantations and caves around Kampot province. I'd then recommend coming back to Kampot for a sunset beer by the river in the town after you park up your motorbike. Then you can ride out to the guest house (you're ok once you only have a couple of beers) and have a feast of local food which they have each night (beef lok lak is particularly good).

#3 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 03:17

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Agree with ChinaRocks - there's also a place called the Greenhouse which is further along that road in Kampot . There's some great rides around the countryside there - pick up a copy of the Kampot Survivor Guide for a map and suggested activities. Going along the river in any direction is a beautiful motorbike or cycle ride, very peaceful and relaxing despite the bumps. The bat cave, secret lake, pepper plantations and roundabout sculptures can keep you pleasantly entertained.

Battambang is also beautiful and, if you have time on the way between PP and Battambang, Kompong Cham is worth a visit too.

Just one note of caution - the week of mourning for the King Father begins in Cambodia on the Friday 1st February, with a long weekend for the King Father's funeral ending with the cremation itself on Monday 4th. If you're after peace and quiet, avoid Phnom Penh over that weekend - there could be 2 million people on the streets! More details here in the Cambodia blog for Travelfish.

#4 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 22:26

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Thanks for the advice all. I didn't realize - for some reason I thought the week of morning had finished already. We will get to Siem Reap on the 3rd and won't be heading over to PP until around the 8th anyway. Thanks again for the heads up.

#5 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 00:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.