Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

travelling between cambodia and laos trip advice

• LissB

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2013

Im planning on travelling through Laos and Cambodia towards the end of this year. I have travelled to Asia quite a few times before doing Intrepid trips so this will be the first time organising a trip on my own.

I will be travelling with my boyfriend and possibly a couple other friends who have not been overseas before and we will be staying ideally for 20-25 days but this is flexible. My main issue is getting from one place to another.

My basic itinerary at this point is to start in Laos, Luang Prabang going to Vang Vieng and then through to Vientaine. Somehow I would then like to head to Cambodia and would like to go to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and then a possible trip down to the beaches, Ive read that Sianoukville isn't necessarily the nicest one to visit.

Any advice would be awesome.

#1 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 01:52

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

What time of year is the trip?

Once you get to Vientiane, stay in Laos (if time allows) and spend another week heading south. Then you can enter Cambodia at the southern tip of Laos and continue to Phnom Penh, then the beaches, then Siem Reap .

Sihanoukville doesn't appeal to all, but the islands are getting a lot of love. You can read about some of them here.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 03:19

• LissB

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2013

Where would you suggest we stop on the way down from Vientiane? I was thinking perhaps catching the bus or plane to get to Cambodia if we didnt have enouh time to spend a week in the south, which would be better? and what are the prices?

I'm keen to do an island, thanks for that.

#3 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 17:24

• billytheliar

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2012
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 19

Well, it's actually a detour (not directly at the route 13), but it's on your general direction (south of Vientiane) : Konglor cave - I think it would be worth it.

#4 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 11:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Need a travelling companion for Cambodia and Laos trip ... By manlyboy on 2 Mar 2009 3 2625 9 Mar 2009
Trip Advice Thailand, Cambodia or Laos ... By anandgrafiti on 13 May 2009 10 3759 14 May 2009
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos Advice for 51 day trip ... By Cyn343 on 10 Mar 2014 20 822 14 Mar 2014
Two month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice? ... By o_kaija on 2 May 2010 3 3217 4 May 2010
my 3 month trip/motorbike advice vietnam, laos cambodia ... By petethered on 17 Mar 2014 1 843 17 Mar 2014
Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted ... By plawhon on 9 Nov 2007 6 5303 1 Dec 2009
Friendly 1st-time advice sought for 3 month trip to Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia & Viet Nam ... By bobby_gigi on 18 Apr 2011 7 5124 21 Apr 2011