Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Kampot to Ko Chang/Thai border

• PadThai

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

Hi!

I'm looking for advise on transport, starting from Kampot , I'm planning on crossing the Thai border and go to Ko Chang.
    Can anyone tell me what my possibilities are?

Are there direct ways to go from Kampot to Koh Kong, or do I have to pass by Sihanoukville?
    I would also like to know is this is doable in one day...

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 13:16

• Advertisement

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I believe you have to go to Sihanoukville and stay overnight. Purchase a ticket (advertised around town) for transport to Koh Chang ie bus/minivan to Thai border, cross border, minivan to boat pier.

The alternative would be to hire a taxi to the border, cross border then minivan to boat pier. A much more expensive option but would get you there within the day.

#2 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 05:27

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Ask around in kampot I remember seeing van to border advertised. Otherwise you will have overnight in sianoukville - there are plenty of buses to Koh Kong all leaving around 7.30/8.00 but book the day before as can be full

#3 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 06:44

• Basil

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

We did it in a day last year but it took booking a taxi from Kampot to the Border.
    There is a lot of transport at the thai border to the pier for Koh Chang and then lots of transport once you arrive at the island.
    It is perfectly possible but quite a long day.
    Good luck.

#4 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 07:01

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Might be too late for OP but this could be useful for others.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to pass by Sihanoukville but it will be a long day with transport changes.

Agents in Kampot sell tickets and the transport doesn't go via Sihanoukville. But I'm not quite sure about the standard and quality of this mini bus trip.

In worst (or best) case scenario you need to find transport to Veal Rinh. This is the town where the 2 roads come together and here you should be able to flag down a Koh Kong bound bus that has left Sihanoukville about 1,5 hours earlier. Make sure you're in Veal Rinh in the morning (before 9-10 am preferably).

If no agent can provide this ticket (they will most likely try to push their own minibus or so) just take a share taxi to Veal Rinh (2-3 hours) and call the bus company (the day before) and buy a ticket from Sihanoukville to Koh Kong and tell the company that you will get on in Veal Rinh. Should be easy.

As for whether a minibus straight to Koh Kong or flagging down the main bus in Veal Rinh is better I wouldn't know since I haven't done this myself. My gut feeling (and 5 years of living in Cambodia) says that trying to catch the main bus in Veal Rinh would be the better option. Might be a little hassle to catch it but once you're on it you're pretty much set all the way.
    With the minibus route from those small operators many things can go wrong.

#5 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 08:03

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

What about spending a night in Koh Kong and leaving in the morning? What time would you get to Trat/Koh Chang?

#6 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 09:02

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

From Koh Kong it's only 2-3 hours to Trat/Ko Chang and pretty easy

My problem with that route (which I've done) is that Koh Kong is a boring town. Just spending a night there was not worth it for me and I wouldn't do it again. On another visit I went several days to Koh Kong and explored the area around Koh Kong and that is beautiful and well worth it. Trouble is that in 1 afternoon you won't have that much time to do such things and you're most likely stuck in the town itself.

Next time I'd rather push myself through a tough day and unwind on the beach in Ko Chang.

#7 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 00:10

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

The another would be to appoint a auto to the border, cantankerous bound again minivan to baiter pier. A abundant added big-ticket advantage but would get you there aural the day.

#8 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 09:16

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

How long is it from Sihanoukville to Trat/Koh Chang?

#9 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 10:14

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

on the bus about 4 - 5 hours to the border, usually quite quick to cross then there is a mini van every 40 minutes to Trat that takes about an hour and 10 minutes but can sometimes be longer if they change vans on way. from Trat to peir about 20 minutes

#10 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 10:17

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai/Cambodia border crossing: easiest and fastest option from Ko Chang ... By JuliaMcD on 29 Jul 2012 9 7581 4 Dec 2014
Most direct route from Kampot to Koh Kong border ... By Wanderrun on 11 Jun 2012 0 2394 11 Jun 2012
Kampot to Ha Tien through Prek Chak-Xa Xia border ... By o_kaija on 28 Apr 2010 9 8701 18 Nov 2010
was asked to pay fees at malaysian-thai border crossing (sadao) by thai immigration? ... By thebigjebowski on 29 Oct 2012 4 1915 4 Nov 2012