Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap Accomodation

• bartos

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2013

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend will be in Siem Reap towards the end of the month, we have around 6-7 days in Cambodia so thought about just staying in Siem Reap and seeing things from there.

We obviously want to see angkor watt etc and the local sights but also want a little night life. Can anyone recommend where we should stay?
    I was thinking around the old market area and i had seen a nice villa/guest house called golden temple villa but its fully booked.

Does anybody have any suggestions? also maybe other suggestions as to other places in Cambodia we should go to bearing in mind we have to travel back to Bangkok after Cambodia

any hlep would be greatly received :)

Thanks

#1 Posted: 5/2/2013 - 15:03

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm a big fan of Battambang as a detour for a night or two from Siem Reap . As for digs in stay at, I'm assuming you've already looked at our listings for Siem Reap -- Rosy Guesthouse and Mandalay and both long-running favourites. Rosy is on far side of river from Old Market, Mandalay quite close though.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2013 - 20:35

• AngkorDraft

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2013

It seems to be busier than ever here at the moment and I have met a lot of people who have only been able to book a room for 1 or 2 nights before having to move to another hotel or guest house for a couple of nights, then another and so on. It should be a bit better by the end of the month but if you want to be on the safe side book ahead, and check the reviews on here which are pretty up to date.

Battambang is a great side trip and will be less busy if you decide not to hang around Siem Reap, and at the mo you can get a private taxi for about $40 o/w - it should take under 3 hours. Good luck!

#3 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 05:18

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,

I can recommend two places that are very cheap (between $6 and $12, depending on room size, AC or fan, etc.). First is Boomerang Guesthouse which is located on the roundabout at the riverside end of Sivatha Blvd. The guesthouse is listed on google maps. It's perfectly located less than 5 mins walk from Old Market, Pub Street, etc. The only downside to this place might be that the rooms are a little small and they weren't cleaned every day. Also, to get in late at night you need to knock on the front door and wake the staff member up to unlock the door, which can feel a bit awkward!

The other place I would recommend is Jasmine Lodge, which is located on Route 6 near the crossroads with Sivatha. It's well known and most tuktuk drivers will be able to bring you there. The downside here is that it is about 20 minutes walk from the main tourist area, but I think it's quite a nice walk and otherwise you can get a tuktuk for $0.50 if you're feeling lazy! Also, the main building (as of July 2012) was no longer on the main road but down an alley which is a little off-putting and could be dangerous at night - crime against tourists, in my experience, is rare in Siem Reap, but not unheard of. Any potential danger can easily be avoided by always getting a tuktuk home at night, or at least never walking alone. The upsides are that the rooms are spacious and are cleaned daily, it has a pool and hangout area with pool table and big couches, and they provide a free breakfast. It's a very popular guesthouse with volunteers so you're more likely to meet people who are doing more than just passing through as tourists.

Have fun in Siem Reap, and make sure you get a 3 day pass to Angkor, and really explore the place! Also, for some evening drinks with a slightly more sophisticated vibe than the big Pub Street backpacker bars, try Laundry Bar, just off the Old Market down the side street next to the big orange Mexican restaurant 'Viva!'. Finally, if you happen to be in SR on a Saturday, make sure you get to Kantha Bopha Children's Hospital at 7:15 for a free concert and talk from Dr Beat Richner (performing as Beatocello!). It will move you :)

#4 Posted: 8/2/2013 - 12:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Accomodation in Siem Reap ... By yowie on 19 Oct 2007 8 3660 6 Nov 2007
Guesthouse accomodation Siem Reap for a family of 4. ... By coopsnpeps on 27 Mar 2010 4 3066 16 Nov 2010
Accomodation in Phnom Penh near the place where the boat for Siem Reap leaves??? ... By sprengja on 21 Nov 2007 2 2452 25 Nov 2007