Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Vietnam Visa in Phnom Penh question

• bkgzen

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2007

What are people's experiences obtaining a Vietnamese visa in Phnom Penh. Getting one here in the US seems pretty expensive, however, I don't know how many days turn around time it would take in Phnom Penh. Trying to weigh my options. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 8/6/2007 - 23:13

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Price at the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh is around the US$30 mark depending on how quickly you want it (same-day service is available).

Getting it via the Vietnamese consulate in Sihanoukville is cheaper, but only really worth it if you're going to Sihanoukville anyway.

#2 Posted: 9/6/2007 - 07:38

• hotwings

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2007

Hi,

My first post. love the site.

I'm planning on travelling from PP to Vietnam overland in late July and was wondering the same thing. I did a lot of reading but I'm a bit confused on the vietnam visa issue.

I want to take go through Capitol Guesthouse Tour tour to go to Chau Doc. Will they handle all the visa issue for me or am I suppose to get the vietnam visa in advance?

Thanks in advance!

#3 Posted: 10/6/2007 - 15:22

• prairieox

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

You need to get the Vietnamese Visa before arrival in the country. It's very easy to do once you arrive in Phnom Penh. Your guesthouse or any travel agency can do it for you (they take your passport in the morning and return it in the afternoon). Alternatively, you can drop off and pick up at the embassy yourself, but you'd have to pay for transportation to and fro. Hope that helps.

#4 Posted: 10/6/2007 - 21:09

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi bkgzen,

You can obtain a Vietnam tourist visa (30 days) for $30 in Phnom Penh. It takes one day to process and for some reason cheaper than obtaining one from the Vietnam embassy. I got mine from a travel agent called "Worldwide Travel" near Boeng Kak Lake. BKL is refered as the Lakeside or backpacker area.

From the same travel agent you can book a direct bus (An Phu Travel Company) from PP to HMC for $8 one way. It leaves PP at 8 am every day and takes about 6 hrs. I would recommend this bus as it was clean and efficient. Make sure you have 1000 riel when you cross the border as this the fee the border agents charge.

I stayed at Grand View Guesthouse (near Boeng Kak Lake). A single room with fan costs only $3 per night and most important the room is clean and the bed is not rock hard.

Ernie

#5 Posted: 11/6/2007 - 08:18

• steveatkins

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2007

Yes, it really is a simple process getting a Vietnam visa in Cambodia, and most probably a lot less hassle and cheaper than arranging it in your home country. As long as you have a couple of days spare in Phnom Penh (Sihanoukville or Batambang) just to be on the safe side. And yes, most guesthouses can arrange it for you from $30 to $35.

Defo the easiest option...

http://www.asia-adventures.com

#6 Posted: 15/6/2007 - 13:28

• Jimbobber

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

These prices are a little outdated (unless I got ripped off!).

Just sorted my visa at the embassy in PP and it was 45$ (I am a British citizen).

It will take a working day to process but was very smooth and easy to do. The Embassy is on Monivong Blvd, quite far South.

#7 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 11:35

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Cheaper through travel agencies I think.

Cake, as above...

'sheeed

#8 Posted: 6/6/2011 - 11:15

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

I am planning an overland trip from PP to HCMC in October,travelling on a British passport.The Vietnamese embassy here in Manila charges $60 for the visa so I will apply in PP. My last trip was 93 and the visa was arranged by Diethelm travel in Bkk which took 5 days.Guess times have changed since then.Can anybody with recent experience recommend a good agent in PP to arrange the visa and travel arrangements to HCMC

#9 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 23:02

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Visa easy at Lucky!Lucky! on monivong... (multiple posts that I can't delete above. Sorry. stupid computer...)

#10 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 10:42

• Advertisement

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

Thanks for the replies. My understanding is that the visa on arrival only applies to entry to Vietnam by air.Please correct me if I am wrong

#11 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 22:00

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

VOA for vietnam is by airline only. Overland does not apply. As stated it is easy to get a Vietnam visa especially in Sihanoukville, it took all of ten minutes. I spent more time deciding what date i was going in than the processing time.

Note the date you request a visa for is the date that the visa starts. You go in a week later than the visa then you have lost a week of your trip. It is easy to get visa extension with in vietnam. Currently limited to 3 months, then you can get 3 more at 3 months, then 1 month tourist a max of 4 times then you must leave the country.

In PP when applying apply in the morning and collect next day afternoon. Generally $5 and a smile should be able to get that afternoon.

Enjoy

#12 Posted: 7/7/2011 - 14:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
e-visa question - HCMC to Phnom Penh ... By kukii05 on 14 Sep 2011 5 3253 19 Jul 2012
Thai VISA in Phnom Penh - Required documents question ... By kristoffer_zaar on 24 Nov 2010 2 3216 25 Nov 2010
Getting a Vietnam visa in Phnom Penh ... By lynsands on 23 Aug 2009 6 5475 24 Aug 2009
Vietnam visa from Phnom Penh ... By C3DRFC on 21 Mar 2012 6 4051 19 Jun 2012
vietnam visa in phnom penh ... By kaptainkano on 24 Aug 2011 2 2284 26 Aug 2011
vietnam visa phnom penh Tet holiday ... By sayadian on 6 Feb 2010 0 2775 6 Feb 2010
Getting Vietnam visa from Phnom Penh reliable? ... By lampostx on 25 Oct 2006 5 5608 10 Nov 2006
Laos Visa in Phnom Penh - don't get it here! ... By ruxandra on 6 Nov 2007 2 6082 13 Nov 2007
Vietnamese Visa in Phnom Penh ... By charlottex on 11 Jul 2014 2 705 14 Oct 2014
Vietnamese Visa in Phnom Penh ... By charlottex on 11 Jul 2014 1 504 20 Jul 2014