Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

From Battembang to Siem Reap

• peachiest99

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2007

I am trying to sort out how to travel between Phnom Pehn to Battembang to Siem Reap. So far it seems I can get a bus from Phnom Penh to Battembang for around $4-6 but I cannot find out if the boat from Siem Reap to Battembang will go back the other way. Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to get from Battembang to Siem Reap?

#1 Posted: 11/6/2007 - 10:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, the boat also runs from Battambang to Siem Reap. You can also travel between the two by share taxi.

As far as the best way is concerned, going by share taxi is faster and more reliable -- the boats are often woefully overloaded and do sink occasionally. That said, the trip is very beautiful -- especially the part for the first hour or so after leaving Battambang.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2007 - 17:11

• DShan

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Hi, I'm thinking of travelling by the boat trip from Battambang to Siem Reap in Oct. Do u know when's the scheduled timing for the departure from Battambang, how long is the journey and how much would it cost? Would the water level in Oct be good for the boat trip? Also, where does it stop somewhere outside of Siem Reap?

#3 Posted: 11/8/2007 - 20:24

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

Hi D Shan,

The boats from Siem Reap to Battamabang leave at about 7am, so I presume it would be the same for hte return journey. If you book through your guesthouse you can also get a complimentary pick up included in the price of $15 per person, which would be about an hour before departure.

In October the rains should have just finished so (theoretically) the water levels should be quite high and so one of the better times of year to take a boat trip in Cambodia...you should arrive in Siem Reap between 12.30-1.00pm at the ferry dock which is about 10kms south of Siem Reap, although the distance and time taken to get there changes throughout the year depending on how much water there is. It should take you about 30 minutes to get to Siem Reap town centre, but if you book with a guesthouse in advance they should send sonmeone down to the ferry dock to collect you. If not you will be mobbed by willing tuk tuks, so there will be no problem getting to town.

Rachel

#4 Posted: 11/8/2007 - 20:53

• taoscout

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2007

I am planning a trip to Cambodia in January, to date my itinary does not include Battambang as I only have 3 weeks. Any feelings on whether I am really missing out on something, is it a must see place or not.Any other suggestions on must see places apart from the obvious ones of course ie Angkor wat.
    Jody

#5 Posted: 12/8/2007 - 07:43

• withshoeson

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

i liked Battambang, was there only 3 weeks ago. most people only stay the one or two days (as i did)to see the killing caves or some local Wats.

the town its self is nothing special, but the surounding area is worth a look.

i met some people who took the boat, some took 14 hours, due to break downs, running out of fuel, broken propeller etc. so plan for anything.

#6 Posted: 15/8/2007 - 20:08

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi taoscout: Battambang might not be too intersting, but the boat trip from there to Siem Reap is nice, you get to see the lake, birds, and floating villages.

peachiest99: if you have taken the boat from Battambang to SR, why not travel on road back to PP on the eastern side of the lake? You can stop at other places that have ancient ruins, if this is what you like.

#7 Posted: 15/8/2007 - 22:32

• peachiest99

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2007

Thank you for the tip Chopin! We have decided that we were trying to cram too much in so we are not going to Battambang anymore - there was too much travelling and not enough time stopping to really see places.

But thanks for the information. It helped us to decide.

#8 Posted: 19/8/2007 - 14:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.