Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Flying from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang?

• magalaya

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2013

Hi everyone!

I know there have a been a few posts on this topic (or the reverse, so Luang Prabang to Siem Reap ) but many of them are outdated and I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread...so: my boyfriend and I are planning a trip to SE Asia this spring (mid April to early June, approx. 6 weeks). For a leg of our trip we're hoping to get to Luang Prabang from Siem Reap and are looking for advice on flights - is it only Bangkok Airways and Lao Airlines that fly this route? I've already looked at the Bangkok Airways website and it looks like it'll be very expensive to fly with them - $359 one-way was the quote the website gave me. I've been trying to compare on the Lao Airlines website (www.laoairlines.com?) for a week or so but the website doesn't seem to be working right - every time I search the dates we're looking at (hoping to depart Siem Reap around April 27) the website says there are no seats on the flight! This can't be right, can it? Should I try to get a quote from my travel agent? How much can we expect to pay to fly this route?

Anyways - any help/advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you so much!

#1 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 18:18

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Lao Air and Bangkok Air are shared flights I think? Anyhow, on the Lao Air website, I found one on April 26th for $195 (one way).
    There is a schedule here: http://www.laoairlines.com/flights/flight-schedule.html - but it's up to Dec 2012, so not sure if timetable has changed.

Someone else recently had problems on the Lao website so maybe it's a case of trying a few times, or trying later in the day.

#2 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 20:18

• magalaya

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2013

Tried again today and now it seems to work! Thanks! It's quoting me $210/person...is that about the norm??

#3 Posted: 24/2/2013 - 20:39

• AngkorDraft

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2013

Hi Magalaya
    That fare seems about right, but you may want to look at Vietnam Airlines too as it can be cheaper Also check that the flying time is under 2 hours as some of the Lao Airlines flights from SR to LP make a stop at Pakse too. Enjoy - Luang Prabang is magical.

#4 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 07:22

• Iokie

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2013

Just returned from that part of the world. I had tried finding out stuff on-line in advance from North America, and found it very frustrating. Once there I found it was much easier to get the scoop on the spot and it also allowed more flexibility. There are numerous small travel agents with outlets everywhere and lots of other travellers willing to share their experiences. They give you a much better deal than the large companies do whether they are here or over there. Also, lots of good, safe land transportation that gives you a great flavour of the country. They are very accommodating to tourists who are a major part of their economy.

#5 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 08:01

• Iokie

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2013

Also found that booking on the spot is cheaper than even booking from another city in the same country.

#6 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 08:04

• magalaya

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2013

Great! Thanks for the help everyone. We're weighing options now - thinking of maybe just going with the flow and buying our tickets day of/few days before once we're in the region as that seems to be the generally recommended advice.

Lokie - did you fly between Siem Reap and Luang Prabang ? If so, how much did you end up paying for your ticket??

On a related note, has anyone had experience with Bangkok Airways' Discovery Airpass? Saw an article about it here but haven't been able to find much reliable info anywhere else! It sounds like an interesting option - we only have about six weeks and we're definitely thinking of flying between Luang Prabang and Siem Reap and Luang Prabang back to Thailand (and perhaps Bangkok and Siem Reap) cause of our limited time frame.

#7 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 14:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flying Siem Reap to Luang Prabang ... By kriscrox on 6 Sep 2010 6 3333 16 Sep 2010
Flying from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang ... By Brisbod on 17 Aug 2008 11 12054 29 Nov 2009
Luang Prabang to Siem Reap by air? ... By SybilVane on 5 Jun 2009 2 2492 5 Jun 2009
Flights from Luang Prabang - Siem Reap ... By redmill on 1 Jan 2008 2 7500 8 Jan 2008
Visa on Arrival Siem Reap-Luang Prabang ... By callarda on 2 Jun 2010 3 3369 2 Jun 2010
Flights Luang Prabang to Siem Reap - April 2013 ... By rashers on 26 Jan 2013 3 954 1 Feb 2013
Chaing Mai to Luang Prabang to Siem Reap Travel Suggestions? ... By jenwhalensf on 19 Apr 2007 0 2339 19 Apr 2007
Getting from Luang Prabang/Vientiane to Siem Reap/Phnom Penh ... By byrie on 28 Oct 2007 1 6465 1 Nov 2007
flying to Luang Prabang ... By kangourousse on 14 Sep 2008 3 1994 11 Oct 2008
Flying from Bangkok to Luang Prabang ... By WithcottKate on 13 Dec 2013 4 674 30 Dec 2013