Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Travel during Khmer New Year

• CalMorris28

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2013

Hello,
    So I'm currently planning to visit Cambodia between the 4th April and 22nd. I understand new year falls into this month, and if anything would just appreciate some help/advice on how I should lay out my plans and how long is recommended for each area.
    So a rough schedule of where I want to go is as followed:
    Kratie
    Sen monorom
    Phnom Penh
    Siem Reap
    Now i understand this will leave me with some extra days, but with it being new year I wasn't really sure of what to expect with bus travel? Is it still feasible to travel by bus, (not during new year, but week prior and before) without too much hassle?
    Also where is the best place to be during this time? I generally get the impression its to the East, so recommendations would be helpful as well as time constraints.
    Sorry that I've crammed alot into this. Any help would be great. Thanks in advanced.

#1 Posted: 7/3/2013 - 15:33

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It looks like no one else is going to answer this so I'll do my best bearing in mind I was based in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville and don't have a lot of idea about what the East of Cambodia is like during the New Year.
    Phnom Penh becomes a virtual ghost town as most people return to their villages. Don't worry you can still find restaurants and bars open but the roads are empty. There maybe a firework display on at the Riverside.
    Sihanoukville (though I notice is not on your list) doubles prices for the holiday that includes hotel rooms.
    Buses used to have a surcharge during the New Year although they still run. Whether that's the case now I'm not sure but beware.
    One of my best New Year experiences was staying in Kirirom and dancing at the local pagoda where there was plenty of partying and beer.
    Maybe you should ask around when you get there and find somewhere where there is a bit of a Khmer celebration and enjoy a few beers with the locals and learn to romvong (is that how you spell it?)

#2 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 10:52

• CalMorris28

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2013

Thanks for the response! I noticed in my original post I made an error by saying "impression its to the East", and actually meaning west, so mentioning Sihanoukville and Kirinom is actually handy for me.I'll look into both a bit more.
    Once again thanks for the help!

#3 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 14:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Khmer New Year ... By Stigron on 15 Feb 2009 3 2264 2 Apr 2009
Khmer New Year - Phnom Penh ... By RachelW on 11 Mar 2010 4 3835 16 Sep 2010
emergency money during Khmer new year bank closures ... By sayadian on 14 Apr 2012 2 2133 14 Apr 2012