Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

What is the best way to get from Sihanoukville to Siem Reap?

• mawer_9

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2013

Good afternoon everybody, i am looking for some help if possible.

We are travelling from Vietnam into Phnom Penh and will spend a couple of days here. We would then like to travel to Sihanoukville so we can access Koh Rong. From there we would obviously then like to venture up to Siem Reap.

Is there any advice for time to spend in each place, stuff to do and best ways to travel to each place. The main journey i was having trouble with is Sihanoukville to Siem Reap.

I would really appreciate any advice from people who have done it previously!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

#1 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 08:00

• Advertisement

• Nisseyaklom

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2007

Best way is to fly. Angkor air do the route.

#2 Posted: 16/3/2013 - 22:44

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

In Sihanoukville there are plenty of tour operators that provide buses from there to Siem Reap direct - usually with a stop in PP to drop off and pick-up. Can't recall the specifics, but it is a long ride. For timing, I'd recommend 3 nights in PP, 4 nights in Siem Reap, 3/4 nights on the beach.

#3 Posted: 16/3/2013 - 22:49

• sparky

Click here to learn more about sparky
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2006
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 5

Hi there - I would bus back to Phnom Penh from Sihanoukville...
    From Phnom Penh - catch the ferry - fast on the Tong Sap to Siem Reap via the lake / Mekong backwater called the Tonle Sap.

The ferry is fast and a bit noisy - take plenty of sun tan loation and long sleeves / pants - as the view up top is good and the noise in the covered area tiring - also bring food and drinks - as the trip can take 6 - 10 hours...

enjoy...

PS I would avoid buses where ever possible in Cambodia

#4 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 11:24

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Capitol and Phnom Penh Sorya buses are fine in Cambodia. The one Rith Mony bust I was on was horrible though.

#5 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 16:20

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

And for a few extra bucks you can usually book an express mini-van that takes at least an hour of the ride between PP-SR or PP-Battambang. Not sure if that would be fantastic for longer haul like SV-PP.

#6 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 18:36

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Avoid minibuses in Cambodia. Minibuses in Cambodia mean at least 4 people per row and often don't have good air conditioning. I only tried it once but heard the same reports from others. On my trip in a 12 seater bus there were 16 adult size people and at least half a dozen children, the driver himself was sharing his seat with another person so everyone could fit in. They may go faster but because they are so cramped you can't get comfortable and it isn't worth it imo.

#7 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 00:24

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Sorya and GST have certainly upped their act in the last couple of years and are fairly reliable.
    Is that fast boat up the Tonle Sap the same one which used to do the Koh Kong-Sihanoukville run before they built the road? If so, you're right about it being noisy inside. In those days most Westerners stayed up top.Some for the sun tan but most because they realised it was a death trap. No keel in rough seas and just one exit.
    Just came across this site offering a 'superior' bus serving PP-Sihanoukville-Seam Reap. I haven't got a clue about them. Would be very interested in anybody's experience with them.
    http://www.giantibis.com/
    They sound pretty good and reasonably priced.
    Been reading more. Got wi-fi, you get a meal, they claim to have clean storage space, so your bag doesn't come out covered in oil as is usual. I've yet to read there is no Karaoke which would be a huge plus for me but $10 PP-Sihanoukville. Sounds great. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to connect on from Sihanoukville at PP to SR by the look of their timetable but why not have a relaxing break in PP sitting by the Riverside sipping a cool drink.

#8 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 03:43

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

We took Giant Ibis from PP to Kampot and the ride was very comfortable - a mini-van, but not overstuffed. We were about an hour late getting picked up . . . but that seems to be the norm in Cambodia.

#9 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 04:10

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Update.
    I've just been on Canbypublications http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/buses.htm and they have a link to giantibis with a different timetable which includes a night bus to SR so maybe it is possible to travel the whole journey in one day

#10 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 04:11

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
PP - Sihanoukville and Sihanoukville - Siem Reap ... By dazm26 on 22 Nov 2007 4 3181 23 Dec 2007
Siem Reap to Sihanoukville ... By SteveHickey on 8 Jun 2007 26 67065 25 Feb 2012
Sihanoukville to Siem Reap ... By sebbytan on 20 Sep 2011 8 5328 14 Oct 2011
Sihanoukville or Siem Reap first? ... By achoo on 27 Apr 2012 3 2580 27 Apr 2012
Bus from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville ... By KSGX on 27 Nov 2008 0 5780 27 Nov 2008
Flying Sihanoukville to Siem Reap ... By lost on 2 May 2007 2 4526 4 May 2007
Direct route from siem reap to sihanoukville? ... By whitehawk625 on 14 Oct 2008 6 4406 24 Oct 2008
Cambodia plane crash: Siem Reap to Sihanoukville ... By somtam2000 on 25 Jun 2007 1 4548 26 Jun 2007
Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville-Siem Reap in 2 weeks: need advices ... By vuh on 2 May 2007 3 2851 3 May 2007
Travel from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville Beaches and return to Phom Penh ... By Patrickx8 on 14 Sep 2008 0 3059 14 Sep 2008