Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Glowing algae in Kampot

• wheretonext

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2012
    Location Philippines

Heading off to cambodia this May and I was going to give Kampot a miss until I read about the sea algae you can swim with that glow at night. Is this for real? If yes, where in Kampot? In Rabbit Island right? Does it look like that scene from Life of Pi?

#1 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 08:18

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Is it algae? It takes me back to walking on a Thai Island beach and finding this stuff washed up whilst people in the water were throwing it in the air to create a surreal effect. Perhaps a biologist on here can explain. I've only seen it that one time many years ago.

#2 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 08:39

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I haven't seen that movie but yes you do have algae in Kep.

If you wade into the water at night time you see the algae light up around you where the water is stirred. As far as I know this happens all year round (and I live in Kep)

#3 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 21:50

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I tried this on Koh Tonsay(Rabbit Island), I didn't want to actually go for a swim though so I just walked out knee deep and kicked around which didn't work. Guessing I just didn't go deep enough though as others were talking about it.

Unless you are short on time I definitely would not miss out on Kampot/Kep/Koh Tonsay if coming to Cambodia. Imo probably the 2nd best place in Cambodia behind Siem Reap, I didn't go to Koh Rong though and heard very good things about there as well.

#4 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 23:53

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Well, it was a beach on Koh Samui I saw it but that was before the hordes arrived.
    What is it about Kampot that people like? I'm curious. Is it the surrounding countryside? I'd have to agree it's very pretty. Maybe the islands? I haven't been.Are they truly tropical with clear water and pristine beaches? but Kampot itself is a dreary little town (much like most Khmer small towns). Koh Kong has a much nicer vista on the estuary and some beautiful forest.
    Kep, I haven't been to since 2004 so I have no idea. Then it was just a heap of burnt out houses from the war and an extremely muddy beach with hardly any sand.

#5 Posted: 23/3/2013 - 02:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.