Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

tourist visa question (can't find the answer to this one)

• tropicalfar-
    mer

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2013

Hi Guys,

First post here. Great forum but I gotta say there is some kinda depressing stuff on here re: Cambodia, great nevertheless!

Okay my question is about tourist Visas in Cambodia. I am not able to find the answer to this one. Are people able to do the so-called "visa runs" to the border in Cambodia like people do in Thailand? For example, can a person stay long term in Cambodia by going to the border every month or two to get a ENTIRELY NEW tourist visa? Yes i'm fine with paying $20 each time. I guess it would fill up a person's passport kind of quick at that rate, but my passport is fresh with 20 pages for visas so it's not a problem.

I ask this because I want to move to Cambodia for a while to study Khmer and visit some potential volunteering opportunities. From my initial contacts with people there I'm almost certain I WILL NOT be able to work out a business visa or ngo visa with there people over the Internet. I need to go there and talk to them in person, etc. However, it is very unclear that even if I went there I would get these volunteering positions and I may instead opt to long term language study, visiting Theravadin temples, etc.

Let me know guys!

#1 Posted: 29/3/2013 - 18:07

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

You might be pleased to hear that obtaining a business visa for Cambodia is straightforward so you won't need to go on border runs. Just indicate on the immigration form that you want the Type E visa (business) and pay $25 for a month long visa. No questions asked. If you are flying in to Phnom Penh it is a simple process. On the land borders be prepared to have to pay a little 'tea money' on top. You can renew indefinitely through any travel agent for one month, six months or one year (6 month and above gives you multiple entry.)

#2 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 01:38

• simunique

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

Hi, tropicalfarmer.....re your visa enquiry. I came to Cambodia to do three months volunteer work. I bought an ordinary or business (not tourist)visa at the airport for $25. It was valid for a month as all entry visas are. I had it extended at a travel agency in Siem Reap where I am based - 3 months for $80.
    From talking with expats here, I know that a 12 month visa is available for around $300. I wouldn't bother with the border trips, way too taxing in the heat and the trip are always longer than they say. Best of luck with everything...

#3 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 04:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
tourist visa question ... By johntron86 on 25 Mar 2011 2 1591 25 Mar 2011
Tourist Visa Question ... By kaede on 23 Jun 2010 1 1390 23 Jun 2010
Shopping question: Can I find Shiseido in Hanoi? ... By glomer on 9 Nov 2010 1 1494 15 Nov 2010