Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

tourist visa question (can't find the answer to this one)

Posted by tropicalfarmer on 29/3/2013 at 18:07

Hi Guys,

First post here. Great forum but I gotta say there is some kinda depressing stuff on here re: Cambodia, great nevertheless!

Okay my question is about tourist Visas in Cambodia. I am not able to find the answer to this one. Are people able to do the so-called "visa runs" to the border in Cambodia like people do in Thailand? For example, can a person stay long term in Cambodia by going to the border every month or two to get a ENTIRELY NEW tourist visa? Yes i'm fine with paying $20 each time. I guess it would fill up a person's passport kind of quick at that rate, but my passport is fresh with 20 pages for visas so it's not a problem.

I ask this because I want to move to Cambodia for a while to study Khmer and visit some potential volunteering opportunities. From my initial contacts with people there I'm almost certain I WILL NOT be able to work out a business visa or ngo visa with there people over the Internet. I need to go there and talk to them in person, etc. However, it is very unclear that even if I went there I would get these volunteering positions and I may instead opt to long term language study, visiting Theravadin temples, etc.

Let me know guys!

#1 tropicalfarmer has been a member since 29/3/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by sayadian on 30/3/2013 at 01:38

You might be pleased to hear that obtaining a business visa for Cambodia is straightforward so you won't need to go on border runs. Just indicate on the immigration form that you want the Type E visa (business) and pay $25 for a month long visa. No questions asked. If you are flying in to Phnom Penh it is a simple process. On the land borders be prepared to have to pay a little 'tea money' on top. You can renew indefinitely through any travel agent for one month, six months or one year (6 month and above gives you multiple entry.)

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by simunique on 30/3/2013 at 04:44

Hi, tropicalfarmer.....re your visa enquiry. I came to Cambodia to do three months volunteer work. I bought an ordinary or business (not tourist)visa at the airport for $25. It was valid for a month as all entry visas are. I had it extended at a travel agency in Siem Reap where I am based - 3 months for $80.
From talking with expats here, I know that a 12 month visa is available for around $300. I wouldn't bother with the border trips, way too taxing in the heat and the trip are always longer than they say. Best of luck with everything...

#3 simunique has been a member since 12/11/2012. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.