Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Best Beach in Cambodia in July

• SpaceCadet

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2013

Hi Everyone,

I am traveling to Cambodia in the last week of June/First two weeks of july and hoping to do Cambodia and Southern Vietnam,

I'm looking for advice on the best beach to go to for a few days in the middle, we are a young couple, and just looking to relax somewhere for a few days - nice beach/pool, good food and chilled out and maybe scope to do some hiking or other activities..We have been looking at Silkhanoville, Kep, and Kampot, and are not sure which to pick.... and what will the weather be like if we do go to one of the above?

Also, with only a short time in Vietnam, where should we be aiming to go? We don't want to do massive distances and would prefer to see a few places properly than to be moving every day..

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 8/4/2013 - 14:53

• Advertisement

• tony_matt

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2013

Kep has far better restaurants and nicer guesthouses. Kep itself lacks any good beaches but has a great seaside atmosphere. For beach time & swimming you should head to Rabbit island or Angkaul beach.

Sihanoukville are beautiful and laid back as well. It's just the town itself that has the sleeze.

If you're on a tight budget you should opt for staying in Kampot and make a day trip to Kep.

#2 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 21:07

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I didn't go to Sihanoukville or Koh Rong so I don't really know much about them.

Kampot , Kep and Rabbit Island are good places to relax though. There are a reasonable amount of things to do and see as well, nothing overly amazing but it just has a nice relaxed feel. Honestly I would recommend checking all 3 out, it is quite easy to do so since they are so close together.

Near Kampot you have Bokor Hill which is a nice ride on a scooter, a little zoo which is kind of interesting, some caves to go look around, salt farms and pepper plantations. Can easily spend a couple days riding around on a scooter or having a driver take you around.

Kep has a national park which sounds like it is a decent place to go hiking. I didn't end up seeing much of Kep though as I enjoyed Rabbit Island too much.

Rabbit Island is very relaxing. Really not a whole lot to do but it is quite comfortable with hammocks, decent beach and good(albeit fairly simple) seafood. Nice place to just sit and read a book or get a massage etc.

#3 Posted: 14/5/2013 - 00:58

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

The weather all along the coast in July/August is pretty rainy, with rain on average at least 21 days of the month. July is the second rainiest month behind August. I've been told it is big down-pours though, and not a full day affair, though that could result in you wanting to avoid hiking or motorbiking on any dirt roads - in which case I'd avoid Kampot , as those are the nice things to do around town. Also, the road between Kampot and Kep is mostly dirt and I wouldn't want to take it in the rainy season for a pleasant day-trip. Under those conditions I'd say that Sihanoukville is your best bet, as if you get a couple days of sunshine coming in you can escape to the quiet island, but if it is rainy you've got the adventures of the city to keep you busy.

#4 Posted: 14/5/2013 - 01:46

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Not only the rain but the sea can get rough very quickly. The boats that go to the islands are flat-bottomed fishing vessels. Having no keel they have to run for land if a squall blows up and these things come very quickly. Getting to an island might prove tricky and even dangerous. Plus if a storm happens you would be stuck on the island until the weather improved. The good news is there are lovely beaches around Sihanoukville and lots of restaurants serving everything from Khmer, Thai, Indian and even Russian food. Ocheteal beach is lined with restaurants with comfortable chairs and sun umbrellas.When it rains you can hurry back into the interior of the restaurant to keep dry.

#5 Posted: 14/5/2013 - 02:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.