Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Does this Cambodia tour sound legit, or is it a scam?

• byroncarr

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2013

My girlfriend and I have booked a 15-day 'adventure' trip to Cambodia in November, complete with full day kayaking, biking, jungle walks, and even a night of camping, travelling around Cambodia.

We found the tour online (http://adventure-cambodia.com), and the tour company only has one review on TripAdvisor. We've already paid the 10% deposit, and the tour company wants us to pay the remainder in cash when we get there.

Does this kind of your sound legit? Is it normal to pay in cash, and should we be worried that there isn't much of an online presence for the company? Has anyone else booked a similar trip?

Thanks for any of your insight!

Cheers,
    Byron

#1 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 19:34

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I had a look at their web site. Looks like this guy Luke organises the tours, putting all the providers together.
    Paying in cash used to be the norm in Cambodia but it is possible now for a company to have a bank account. Saying that cash is still king in Cambodia.
    I'm guessing Luke is a guy who has been in Cambodia a long time, maybe married a Khmer woman, learnt the language and has used his connections and knowledge to set this up. You can never be one hundred percent about any business.
    I suggest you give him a ring in Cambodia ( lots of ways of getting cheap international calls these days) and discuss your upcoming trip, get a feel for how genuine the guy is. You could also e-mail the people who give him references and check where any replies come from. If they come from Cambodia you would be suspicious. Here's a link how to check that.

http://email.about.com/od/windowslivehotmailtips/qt/et_view_source.htm

Hope you enjoy the tour. If you do don't forget a review.

#2 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 02:07

• byroncarr

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2013

Thanks Sayadian!

I appreciate you taking the time to check out the website and help me.

That's good advice--I will be calling the tour company and "checking pickup details" (read, checking if the company is legit!). I also have emailed some people who have reviewed it so hopefully I get some advice from them.

Thanks again!

Byron

#3 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 22:37

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I have met Lukas a couple times. I knew that sounded familiar. I met him after he finished his affiliation with the ASK program out of UHawaii. Don't know him. All I can say is that he exists and yes, has been in Cambodia a long time.

'sheeed

#4 Posted: 4/6/2013 - 08:49

• byroncarr

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2013

Thanks Rasheed, thats... kind of reassuring! haha

Well it seems like he does check out. I messaged a person that liked their Facebook page as well and got a reply (with photos), saying that the trip was great.

#5 Posted: 4/6/2013 - 23:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.