Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

poipet-siem reap current condition of road?

Posted by trippymctwist on 2/7/2007 at 14:32

Hows the road right now? How long is it taking taxis to make the trip? What is a good price to pay for the trip?

#1 trippymctwist has been a member since 18/12/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by Roving_Roo on 4/7/2007 at 21:13

Hi Trippy McT,

I came back from Bangkok last week and the road was not in bad condition at all, there had been rains earlier that day but we still made it in 3-3.5hours includling a stop for gas and a toilet stop en route.

I've had reports of taxis taking 3-3.5 hours since then too, although it is bucketting down with rain here in Siem Reap as I type, which doesn't help the road much and may make your journey a bit longer.

Coming from Poipet to Siem Reap US$45 is a good price but you may not be able to bargain the drivers down to this price, the last I heard it was still around $60 for a taxi picked up at the border. Guesthouses in Siem Reap can prearrange for a taxi to meet you at Poipet for $45. Returning Siem Reap to Poipet US$30 is a good price.

I hope this helps.

Rachel

#2 Roving_Roo has been a member since 9/1/2006. Posts: 45

Posted by indravarman on 8/7/2007 at 20:58

Hi Trippy MCtwist,

I took a taxi from Sisiphon to Siem Reap on that road in January and it was fairly smooth, just a few bumps in the low lying section near the rice paddies. The road appeared to have been recently graded and there were fresh new detours around the low bridges - or what was left of them after the wet season. The price was $60 for the whole taxi, but I was travelling from Battambang to Siem Reap.

#3 indravarman has been a member since 8/7/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by trippymctwist on 9/7/2007 at 14:20

Since I've now made the trip myself I'll go ahead and answer my own question. It's like roving roo says, the road's not bad (not muddy anyway, very potholed) and I made it to Siem Reap in about 3 1\2 hours in a taxi that I shared with two other backpackers I met at the border. We were promptly directed to the free shuttle to the taxi station as soon as we exited immigration. I'd read on talesofasia.com that they were trying to charge 60 to 70 and up to 80 dollars per car for these taxis but the only price they told us was $45 so maybe they've stopped overcharging.

#4 trippymctwist has been a member since 18/12/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by Roving_Roo on 9/7/2007 at 17:19

Interesting that the price was only $45 for a non prearranged taxi. I wonder if the touts have calmed down a bit?

#5 Roving_Roo has been a member since 9/1/2006. Posts: 45

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.