admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Sydney Morning Herald has a huge story on the rediscovery of the Khmer city of Mahendraparvata which predates Angkor by 350 years. Huge news.

You can read the full story here.

#1 Posted: 14/6/2013 - 20:58

• Advertisement

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Certainly is exciting news. Will be interesting to see how the Cambodians manage it - maybe.

#2 Posted: 15/6/2013 - 03:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just a small update on this, I heard from one of the expedition leaders, Damian Evans via Twitter and he said

"The city we found in Phnom Kulen using lidar technology has never been reported before, it's new."

It's quite astonishing considering it is on Phnom Kulen only 40 km from Angkor Wat -- makes you wonder what else is out there.

#3 Posted: 15/6/2013 - 05:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

And how long it will remain unlooted.

#4 Posted: 15/6/2013 - 05:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

More still, this webpage belonging to one of those involved in the discovery, Stephane De Greef, gives more information on the LiDAR tech that was used to assist in finding the site. Interesting stuff!

#5 Posted: 15/6/2013 - 06:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Very interesting story. Curious that only religious structures were made of Brick. My thai teacher and I were talking about that today. Mukdahan has no truly old surviving structures. The city itself is an old settlement, but no old buildings exist, because wood was the preferred building material and the tropics are not kind to wooden structures.

SBE - in the words of Kelly" "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

#6 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 04:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I don't think she's being particularly negative, just realistic. Angkor Wat was pretty badly looted over the years.

What amazed me in watching the video is how they are just crashing through unexplored jungles. I would have thought landmines were a major threat to them - but there was no mention of it.

Interesting story to think places like this are still undiscovered.

#7 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 05:09

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

watch your step

#8 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 06:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I don't think she's being particularly negative, just realistic."

Everyone who is negative says they are being realistic. It was the only thing she mentioned.

#9 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 10:31

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hey Somtam. Did my comment in #4 seem overly negative to you?

#10 Posted: 17/6/2013 - 00:56

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

For the record I thought you were showing concern for something that' s a distinct possibilty in a country with such a dreadful record of corruption.
    It's the military mindset-eternal positivity.
    General Douglas Hague springs to mind.
    ;-)

#11 Posted: 17/6/2013 - 05:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I think it beats the mindset of eternal negativity. I mean, the only comment was a negative one. How about something about how the cool the find is? Seriously, I'm not ragging on SBE, but am I the only one who's noticed that the world print media (and other styles) is a barrage of negativity? It's one negative thing after another. The world doesn't totally suck.

#12 Posted: 17/6/2013 - 11:24

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thank you Sayadian. That reminds me of my favourite oxymoron....military intelligence. ;-)

#13 Posted: 17/6/2013 - 13:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Of course, the military can't function without intelligence. Well, I suppose to a degree it coud. If could just have a scorched earth policy and kill anything and everything alive in its area of operations. Then you wouldn't need intelligence. Just kill 'em all. Women, children, dogs, cats, everything. Then you don't need intelligence.

#14 Posted: 17/6/2013 - 20:21

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What a little ray of sunshine you are MM.

#15 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 01:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry late in on this - just back from Burma and sick as a dog.

Can we keep the discussion on topic - please?

@SBE - not overly negative I guess, but it was an amazing discovery ;-)

Most of the looting that ravaged the Cambodian sites took place years ago -- wholesale looting post KR period of large sites is quite rare (thanks in part to higher media interest & awareness).

As an aside the Cambodia Daily had a story today noting that the ruins haven't been rediscovered at all -- suggesting the Sydney Morning Herald got a little over excited -- who'd have thought ;)

#16 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 02:15

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

What struck me as I was watching the Fairfax media movie was that the archeologists kept mentioning how extraordinary it was to find a site like this that had been left totally undisturbed and unlooted.

Then they showed us all a map of where things were.

At one point the chef archeologist (I think) was standing in someone's rice field saying that there was a temple underneath but that even the locals living there were totally unaware of it's existence and that's why it had never been dug up.

I couldn't help thinking, well I expect they all know where it is now. And if I owned that rice field I might be tempted to have a little poke round once the foreign film crew and archeologists had left. There are tens of thousands of rich tourists with money burning holes in their pockets just down the road at Angkor Wat who might be interested in buying a few souvenirs.

Which got me to wondering why there was a Fairfax media film crew tagging along with the archeologists in the first place. Looks like excavations haven't even started yet. Why are the archeologists jeopardizing their work with all this publicity? On that first link you posted, the Sydney Morning Herald had "World exclusive" at the top of the page but Fairfax media (who own the newspaper) seem to have sold the story and video to anyone who'll buy it. Even Fox News were covering the story.

LiDAR imaging technology is a very expensive piece of kit, not in the budget of most archeologists. Maybe Fairfax media were paying for it? I tried to find out on Google scholar but the paper doesn't seem to be out yet. (Publication date is sometime in the second half of June apparently)

However while I was rummaging about looking for that, I stumbled across another example of how LiDAR has been used to find lost cities. Seems the mythical lost city of Ciudad Blanca has recently been "rediscovered" in the jungles of Honduras too.

Interesting little write up here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ciudad-blanca-honduras-lidar-images-2013-5#ixzz2WYMKNfMH

Apparently that project was funded by a film company called UTL who wanted to make an exciting documentary about the discovery of a mythical lost city. There seems to be some doubt about whether Ciudad Blanca was actually "rediscovered" too.

PS If you fancy yourself as an Indiana Jones type and don't mind the risk of having one or more legs blown off or trampling all over priceless archeological relics, I notice Google Scholar has kindly brought out a "how to get to Phnom Kulen" travel guide. Getting there looks dead simple and straightforward to me. Motodop from SR + dodgy $20 entrance fee.

http://www.alsocan.com.au/writings/travel-culture-1st-millenium-pre-angkor-temple.pdf

#17 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 04:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"What a little ray of sunshine you are MM."

I have my moments little sister.

#18 Posted: 18/6/2013 - 09:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.