Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Visa on arrival at SR airport

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

Hi,

It is well known that the border officials at the Poipet / Aranyaprathet border ask for 1,000 Baht rather than the official US$20, but I heard yesterday that upon flying in to Siem Reap airport the officials there also asked someone for 1,000B (refusing US$ as payment). I was under the impression that the airport took US$20 without a problem for the visa on arrival charge. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this a change on the part of the airport or is this the officials pocketing the excess?

Thanks for your views.

Rachel

#1 Posted: 9/7/2007 - 17:34

• Advertisement

• AmandaJordan

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

Hi rachel,

I was just there about a month ago and was charged US$20 without a problem. There may be some officials trying to scam people but as long as you are aware of what it should cost you shouldn't have a problem.

#2 Posted: 9/7/2007 - 21:22

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if this had happened to other people, but perhaps this was a one off. My friend did say that he knew the visa was only US$20, but the official wouldn't back down. I hope this wont become common place like in Poipet.

#3 Posted: 10/7/2007 - 19:51

• huow

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

Hi,you should have no problem in SR and PP airports: official formalities are applied i.e. 20USD for a visa.

You may be asked for a "donation" by a immigration or customs officer.
    You can refuse (keep your smile); you should have no trouble.

#4 Posted: 11/7/2007 - 04:37

• huow

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

Official site of SR airport:
    http://www.cambodia-airports.com/siemreap/en/info.asp?s=formalities

#5 Posted: 11/7/2007 - 04:40

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,

I arrived to Siem Reap from Pakse, Laos with Lao Airlines and paid $20 US for my 1 month tourist visa.
    Border crossings are notorious for charging extra (ie. overtime fee). If you wan't to save time and frustration I would recommend that you pay the extra money and fly.

#6 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 15:11

• Roving_Roo

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2006

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. I am familiar with Cambodian border crossings and extra tea monies charged and live in Siem Reap so know the airport quite well, but as I have a business visa I don't have the hassle of visa on arrival.

I was wondering if many others had had the same experience at airports, as my friend had.

Sounds like it was just someone trying their luck which paid off in this case.

Thanks again.

Rachel

#7 Posted: 12/7/2007 - 20:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa on arrival letter...Ho Chi Min airport ... By Carolynimini on 20 Nov 2009 5 6891 21 Nov 2009
Visa on arrival at Savannahket airport ... By frasmc on 4 Oct 2011 1 1453 4 Oct 2011
Visa on Arrival at Bangkok airport ... By callarda on 12 Jun 2010 4 4859 12 Jun 2010
Can I get a visa on arrival at Phnom Penh Airport? ... By ms1892 on 17 Feb 2010 9 8231 17 Sep 2010
Any change to 'visa on arrival' at Luang Prabang airport? ... By EdwardTrunk on 2 Jan 2014 2 1530 27 Jan 2014