Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Where can I find a weapon? (Siem Reap)

Posted by ThaiStick on 21/7/2013 at 19:04

Hi! I'm going to Cambodia (Siem Reap) and was wondering if there was a market or some district where I might be able to acquire a sharp object for personal defense such as a butterfly knife, or switch blade, or any sharp or blunt object.. I've been robbed before abroad and plan on it not happening again. I do not mind carving someone up to ribbons for the sake of maintaining my well-being.

#1 ThaiStick has been a member since 17/4/2013. Posts: 20

Posted by Brute on 21/7/2013 at 20:25

Your a nut. That's my only advice to you

#2 Brute has been a member since 16/12/2012. Posts: 36

Posted by ThaiStick on 21/7/2013 at 20:51

Have you ever been the victim of a robbery at gun point? Unless you have, then I feel you have no valid opinion otherwise.

#3 ThaiStick has been a member since 17/4/2013. Posts: 20

Posted by Brute on 21/7/2013 at 21:43

Go to any market or any store there I'm sure you'll find what your looking for. I've been in some situations but never felt the need to kill anybody for trying to get by when my backpack is worth more than they make in a month. But you do what you gotta do.

#4 Brute has been a member since 16/12/2012. Posts: 36

Posted by MADMAC on 21/7/2013 at 22:16

Thai - Russian market. Plenty of knives there. Maybe you could get some mace, which is quite effective. But if you are dealing with someone who has a knife or a gun, and you resist with force, you are taking a huge chance. People willing to rob you at knife point are people who obviously have a low bar for the value of human life (theirs and yours). The chances of such resistance ending badly are pretty high.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Rasheeed on 23/7/2013 at 04:49

Grenades are also available.

#6 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by sayadian on 23/7/2013 at 05:41

Safest way of getting out of trouble is to learn to run fast. I am with Madmac on this hand to hand combat is risky especially if you haven't any training and once you start any hesitation on your part can be fatal. As they say:
'He who runs away lives to fight another day.'
Maybe Mace yeh it incapacitates long enough to leg it.

#7 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by Nisseyaklom on 24/7/2013 at 21:36

You are going to a gunfight with a KNIFE???

#8 Nisseyaklom has been a member since 2/12/2007. Posts: 40
 Website 

Posted by tyler on 25/7/2013 at 01:21

I've been robbed before - in Sapa - few years back. Sucks. But it wasn't at gun point so my opinion might not be valid...

That being said - if I was going to pack around a weapon for self defence I'd look for a taser. I've seen them for sale in Bangkok but not in Phnom Penh. Ask a motodop - they can get you anything. And get some mace too in case the taser doesn't work. Maybe if you tip the motodop he'd let you try it out on him!

Not sure which one would be best to use first...probably the mace because the taser would/should incapacitate the culprit and he probably wouldn't even notice the mace if it came afterwards.

Mace 'em first - he'll still feel the taser. Give him some water like your helping to clear up his eyes and stuff - and then zap him!!

#9 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 26/7/2013 at 11:45

Ahhh Sheldon - OK there, ahhhh, glad it worked out for ya.

#10 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 27/7/2013 at 05:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_-9OI-1QE
This is the real deal Sheldon

#11 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 28/7/2013 at 01:09

On the other hand, if you are absolutely serious about deterring crime, then get yourself an AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every ************ in the room, accept no substitute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDyXbcu2RXg

#12 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 28/7/2013 at 02:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8IGDIujijQ&list=SPFBFCDCC3DBB96BC4

This goes to show pepper spray works

#13 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 28/7/2013 at 05:14

Pepper Spray does work, but not as well as an AK-47.

#14 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Bridgequeen on 29/7/2013 at 11:48

Wtf? If you need a knife, taser, gun, AK47 in Cambodia what the hell would you take to London or New York?

#15 Bridgequeen has been a member since 29/7/2013. Location: Earth. Posts: 49
 Where has Bridgequeen been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 29/7/2013 at 13:09

Don't take anything to New York or you'll be arrested. Just ask Robert Guerrero.

#16 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by fillda on 31/7/2013 at 16:33

But can you bring a taser or similar across the borders in SE Asia?

#17 fillda has been a member since 31/7/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by sayadian on 1/8/2013 at 00:34

Untrained civilians carrying arms sucks just look at Florida.

#18 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by Bridgequeen on 1/8/2013 at 01:24

Precisely, well said. And South East Asia, particularly Cambodia, is one of the safest places I have ever been.

#19 Bridgequeen has been a member since 29/7/2013. Location: Earth. Posts: 49
 Where has Bridgequeen been? 

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 30/8/2013 at 04:15 TF writer

Hmm, to avoid being robbed, much better to:

- not carry much cash
- not flash your laptop/smartphone/fancy watch
- not get drunk and wander the streets
- not have your bag on view when on a moto/tuk tuk
- treat people with respect

I'd prefer that to being chased by a group of people upset that you've just knifed their mate!

Generally, Cambodia is pretty safe so long as you're not reckless. Think waving a knife around might fall into that category.

#20 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Website 

Posted by sayadian on 30/8/2013 at 06:57

I was once travelling as pillion on a motodop when he braked sharply. When I looked up there were two men advancing down towards us from the embankment. Both men were carrying iron bars. My moto did an incredible turn and screamed off in first gear.This happened at night in Sihanoukville .
The idea that a country is more safe than anywhere else is ridiculous.
If you come from a city you probably know one or two areas where it's not safe to venture. Well the same goes for Cambodia. Unfortunately, unlike your home town you may not know where those no-go areas are. Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville have them, of course.
It's actually got a lot better over the years. The days of everyone walking around armed are gone as have the mobs which gave out instant justice to thieves by beating them to death but there are still plenty of violent people around and a lot of methamphetamine addicts.

Maybe if those guys with iron bars had stopped us I might have wished I had a weapon.

This is,after all, a country which murdered its own people in the thousands and where domestic violence is dismissed nonchalantly.
A man can kick the crap out of his wife in public and nobody will bat an eyelid.

After my run in in sihanoukville I took to using the same motodop to get around even if I had to phone him to come out. If you are going to stay awhile in the city it is not a bad idea to use one driver. He's happy to have regular business so he will probably look after you.

If you were attacked by a thief with a knife and you got into a fight and stabbed the thief, perversely the people around would turn on you. It's a form of racism but not much you can do about it.

Better to get yourself a motodop you can trust.

#21 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 31/8/2013 at 01:22

"If you were attacked by a thief with a knife and you got into a fight and stabbed the thief, perversely the people around would turn on you. It's a form of racism but not much you can do about it."

I've heard this applied to Thailand, but my own reality has been that in almost every case where there has been Thai - Falang conflict the Thai did not get support from his countrymen. Either on the street or in court. Where the Falangs did lose (two cases that I experienced) they deserved to lose (one was a pedophile who raped his step daughter - and did it. No doubt in my mind he was guilty).

#22 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 31/8/2013 at 04:54

If I had to make a choice I would say I feel safer in Thailand than in Cambodia. I have never had much bother in Thailand but lots of petty, petulantly aggressive behaviour in Cambodia.
I'll give you one example.
In Sihanoukville I used to walk down to the beach from town everyday and everyday get the same 'you want moto' request from the motodops. I shake my head because I like the walk. It was rainy season and I realise they weren't doing much business. After a couple of days the crowd hanging around near Golden Lions would rev their bikes a few feet to block my path. This was not a joke the look on their faces was pure malice. so I took to walking on the other side of the street.
I find Thai people on the whole much better behaved and they don't hassle you. Maybe it's because they have more money. I don't know.
Maybe it's because Cambodia is such a screwed up country with more and more wealth going upwards and poor people getting poorer as their land is confiscated and Foreigners (China, Vietnam) taking more of the cake.

#23 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by mixxat on 28/9/2013 at 08:07

My advice is "go to khmer boxing course!"
Cheers

#24 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42

Posted by Wiseass on 14/11/2013 at 11:38

You could always take a family member ...... Like a mother inlaw...... Then you just need to out run them! Everyone's a winner,

#25 Wiseass has been a member since 14/11/2013. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.