Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Where can I find a weapon? (Siem Reap)

• ThaiStick

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2013

Hi! I'm going to Cambodia (Siem Reap) and was wondering if there was a market or some district where I might be able to acquire a sharp object for personal defense such as a butterfly knife, or switch blade, or any sharp or blunt object.. I've been robbed before abroad and plan on it not happening again. I do not mind carving someone up to ribbons for the sake of maintaining my well-being.

#1 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 19:04

• Advertisement

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

Your a nut. That's my only advice to you

#2 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 20:25

• ThaiStick

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2013

Have you ever been the victim of a robbery at gun point? Unless you have, then I feel you have no valid opinion otherwise.

#3 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 20:51

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

Go to any market or any store there I'm sure you'll find what your looking for. I've been in some situations but never felt the need to kill anybody for trying to get by when my backpack is worth more than they make in a month. But you do what you gotta do.

#4 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 21:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Thai - Russian market. Plenty of knives there. Maybe you could get some mace, which is quite effective. But if you are dealing with someone who has a knife or a gun, and you resist with force, you are taking a huge chance. People willing to rob you at knife point are people who obviously have a low bar for the value of human life (theirs and yours). The chances of such resistance ending badly are pretty high.

#5 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 22:16

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Grenades are also available.

#6 Posted: 23/7/2013 - 04:49

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Safest way of getting out of trouble is to learn to run fast. I am with Madmac on this hand to hand combat is risky especially if you haven't any training and once you start any hesitation on your part can be fatal. As they say:
    'He who runs away lives to fight another day.'
    Maybe Mace yeh it incapacitates long enough to leg it.

#7 Posted: 23/7/2013 - 05:41

• Nisseyaklom

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2007

You are going to a gunfight with a KNIFE???

#8 Posted: 24/7/2013 - 21:36

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

I've been robbed before - in Sapa - few years back. Sucks. But it wasn't at gun point so my opinion might not be valid...

That being said - if I was going to pack around a weapon for self defence I'd look for a taser. I've seen them for sale in Bangkok but not in Phnom Penh. Ask a motodop - they can get you anything. And get some mace too in case the taser doesn't work. Maybe if you tip the motodop he'd let you try it out on him!

Not sure which one would be best to use first...probably the mace because the taser would/should incapacitate the culprit and he probably wouldn't even notice the mace if it came afterwards.

Mace 'em first - he'll still feel the taser. Give him some water like your helping to clear up his eyes and stuff - and then zap him!!

#9 Posted: 25/7/2013 - 01:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Ahhh Sheldon - OK there, ahhhh, glad it worked out for ya.

#10 Posted: 26/7/2013 - 11:45

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_-9OI-1QE
    This is the real deal Sheldon

#11 Posted: 27/7/2013 - 05:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

On the other hand, if you are absolutely serious about deterring crime, then get yourself an AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every ************ in the room, accept no substitute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDyXbcu2RXg

#12 Posted: 28/7/2013 - 01:09

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

#13 Posted: 28/7/2013 - 02:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Pepper Spray does work, but not as well as an AK-47.

#14 Posted: 28/7/2013 - 05:14

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

Wtf? If you need a knife, taser, gun, AK47 in Cambodia what the hell would you take to London or New York?

#15 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 11:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Don't take anything to New York or you'll be arrested. Just ask Robert Guerrero.

#16 Posted: 29/7/2013 - 13:09

• fillda

Joined Travelfish
    31st July, 2013

But can you bring a taser or similar across the borders in SE Asia?

#17 Posted: 31/7/2013 - 16:33

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Untrained civilians carrying arms sucks just look at Florida.

#18 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 00:34

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

Precisely, well said. And South East Asia, particularly Cambodia, is one of the safest places I have ever been.

#19 Posted: 1/8/2013 - 01:24

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hmm, to avoid being robbed, much better to:

- not carry much cash
    - not flash your laptop/smartphone/fancy watch
    - not get drunk and wander the streets
    - not have your bag on view when on a moto/tuk tuk
    - treat people with respect

I'd prefer that to being chased by a group of people upset that you've just knifed their mate!

Generally, Cambodia is pretty safe so long as you're not reckless. Think waving a knife around might fall into that category.

#20 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 04:15

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I was once travelling as pillion on a motodop when he braked sharply. When I looked up there were two men advancing down towards us from the embankment. Both men were carrying iron bars. My moto did an incredible turn and screamed off in first gear.This happened at night in Sihanoukville .
    The idea that a country is more safe than anywhere else is ridiculous.
    If you come from a city you probably know one or two areas where it's not safe to venture. Well the same goes for Cambodia. Unfortunately, unlike your home town you may not know where those no-go areas are. Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville have them, of course.
    It's actually got a lot better over the years. The days of everyone walking around armed are gone as have the mobs which gave out instant justice to thieves by beating them to death but there are still plenty of violent people around and a lot of methamphetamine addicts.

Maybe if those guys with iron bars had stopped us I might have wished I had a weapon.

This is,after all, a country which murdered its own people in the thousands and where domestic violence is dismissed nonchalantly.
    A man can kick the crap out of his wife in public and nobody will bat an eyelid.

After my run in in sihanoukville I took to using the same motodop to get around even if I had to phone him to come out. If you are going to stay awhile in the city it is not a bad idea to use one driver. He's happy to have regular business so he will probably look after you.

If you were attacked by a thief with a knife and you got into a fight and stabbed the thief, perversely the people around would turn on you. It's a form of racism but not much you can do about it.

Better to get yourself a motodop you can trust.

#21 Posted: 30/8/2013 - 06:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"If you were attacked by a thief with a knife and you got into a fight and stabbed the thief, perversely the people around would turn on you. It's a form of racism but not much you can do about it."

I've heard this applied to Thailand, but my own reality has been that in almost every case where there has been Thai - Falang conflict the Thai did not get support from his countrymen. Either on the street or in court. Where the Falangs did lose (two cases that I experienced) they deserved to lose (one was a pedophile who raped his step daughter - and did it. No doubt in my mind he was guilty).

#22 Posted: 31/8/2013 - 01:22

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If I had to make a choice I would say I feel safer in Thailand than in Cambodia. I have never had much bother in Thailand but lots of petty, petulantly aggressive behaviour in Cambodia.
    I'll give you one example.
    In Sihanoukville I used to walk down to the beach from town everyday and everyday get the same 'you want moto' request from the motodops. I shake my head because I like the walk. It was rainy season and I realise they weren't doing much business. After a couple of days the crowd hanging around near Golden Lions would rev their bikes a few feet to block my path. This was not a joke the look on their faces was pure malice. so I took to walking on the other side of the street.
    I find Thai people on the whole much better behaved and they don't hassle you. Maybe it's because they have more money. I don't know.
    Maybe it's because Cambodia is such a screwed up country with more and more wealth going upwards and poor people getting poorer as their land is confiscated and Foreigners (China, Vietnam) taking more of the cake.

#23 Posted: 31/8/2013 - 04:54

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other
    Places visited:
    At least 16

My advice is "go to khmer boxing course!"
    Cheers

#24 Posted: 28/9/2013 - 08:07

• Wiseass

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2013

You could always take a family member ...... Like a mother inlaw...... Then you just need to out run them! Everyone's a winner,

#25 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 11:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.