Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Khmer-only hangouts?

• ThaiStick

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2013

Soursdey! I was wondering if anyone knew of any spots where I could find a Khmer bar ( a place where for the most part only Khmers will be found). I've looked on the internet and all I seem to find are places overrun with barangs. Barangs, barangs, and more barangs. I don't want to hangout with barangs and listen to barang music. I want to meet and make friends with Khmers and listen to Khmer music, old and new (Sisamouth, Meas Soksophea), karaoke etcetera.

Street 51 is overrun with bars from my research, however from my ignorant opinion it is all catering to barang people. You'll for sure meet some pretty Khmer women, and Vietnamese taxi girls and the occasional Khmer 'gangster' however that is not the total experience I'm going for. Surely there must be some hole in the wall place where all the tuk tuk drivers, and worker people go on their time off?

#1 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 02:24

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Go to a town where tourists don't go! Do that, and find a bar. Once you've found a bar in a town where there are few anglos kicking around, you'll find a bar that caters to Khmer. Simple really.

#2 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 03:34

• ThaiStick

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2013

Thank you for the simple, yet helpful reply. I wasn't really planning on going going too far from the main traveled path. However I now see it will be necessary in order to have the truly authentic Khmer bar experience without having techno or rap music blaring into my ears. I'm thinking Krek or Kratie, somewhere.

#3 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 04:42

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

You could just go with the tuk-tuk driver.
    If you are going to Phnom Penh cross the Japanese bridge and about 2 kilometres on you have Khmer restaurants on the left over the lake and on the right on the river. I doubt you'll find any barang. Basically you eat and drink whilst being entertained by singers.
    Or if you are feeling adventurous go to any KTV karaoke joint.

#4 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 10:45

• ThaiStick

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2013

Thanks, Sayadian. I'll be sure to check out the area past the Cambodian-Japan Friendship Bridge. According to Google Maps there are several KTV establishments in Phnom Penh. I'll try checking with the KTV Radio Station, perhaps they could further help me in the matter. I am definitely feeling adventurous.

#5 Posted: 8/8/2013 - 19:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.